• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#81 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

You got any quotes? I only have 1 years NCB (they're all on the VX) and mine is quite cheap

#82 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

Not got any quotes yet...but she hasn't passed her test ;) Same as me, all on the VX. Although no increase for adding her on the PUG before and after passing :lol:

#83 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

Ahhhhhh I see!

#84 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

tbh I think it may be an all in deal with maintenance and servicing if I can wing it Buy back @ 15000 miles PA after 3 years £5400 They're offering me a tempting deal on the PUG trade in too Insurance is going to be the biggie, I've got no no-claims and I'm 6 months in

Let me get this right: 200pm, £3k deposit and £950 upfront, plus a £5400 final payment. So all in all £16,500 total cost.

#85 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Quick update for those considering a new one... (Jules etc.)

Coming up to 3 years of ownership now (32k hard miles) and have totted up the following:

• 2 x standard services + optional brake fluid change
  • 4 x tyres
  • 1 x front pad change
  • 1 x top mount change (warranty)
  • 1 x front damper change (warranty)
  • 1 x safety recall (warranty)

Current state:

• Service due
  • Disks warped so new disks and pads required
  • Tyres still good
  • Bodywork still good apart from the usual selfish b@stard parking dings, and the paint is soft so some stone rash
  • Still get some creaking at the front which is being investigated again, suspect ARB drop links (not warranty)/wishbone assy (warranty within 3 years)
  • Few interior rattles but fine

Conclusion:

• Maintenance running costs fine
  • Average 38 MPG which isn't great for a 1.2
  • Fun to drive with lively sharp handling
  • Decent brakes
  • Slow as hell so you have to peddle hard
  • Nice place to sit with enough toys

I was going to give it back this summer but think I may well pay the balloon, mainly as it is £4900 and there is more value than that in the car.

thumbsup

#86 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

In 226 636 miles I have replaced the following - 

Radiator - small leak.

Replaced front brake discs and pads twice - the first time with new Abarth calipers, Discs and pads which I got new on ebay for £40

One set of glowplugs-  had a warning light started ok but changed as thet were cheap.

Steering wheel with an Abarth one - Leather worn, won a very low mileage one on ebay.

Exhaust sytem - DPF failed at around 125 k so made a straight through system and deleted DPF. mapped to suit.

Coilover kit - because I could with new top mounts and bearings.

Pipercross Panel filter - fitted around 100 000 miles and cleaned a few times

Clutch - Clutch had lots of life left but release bearing failed. approx 183k miles

A.C rad - all fins had been blasted away by 183k miles of stones.

Auxillary belt - 210 000 miles it started breaking up.

Nearside inner CV joint - 210K miles 

Day running lights - plug on bulb melted.

A few sets of tyres 

Oil and filter, Fuel filter every 15k miles

A few gallons of diesel - best mpg 83, one tank of fuel.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

#87 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

best mpg 83, one tank of fuel.

I'm not sure I'd get that in the 1.2 if I was being towed!  

#88 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Ormes, what was the safety recall?

our A500 (non ss) is coming up for 5 years old just over 20Kmiles :lol:

"technically" its under hard use since it does low miles round town.

both top mounts

needs either new bushes or entire new shocks (plus solid bushes) on the rear

4 tyres

ummmmmmm I will give it its 1st service it soon :lol: (Will chuck on a cambelt and water pump as they are p*ss cheap from parts4less)

cabin filter

washer jet as one crumbled

Rear pads (top tip, get the paint ground off the lugs on the pads so they have no chance of sticking and they still don't rattle)

It could do with new front pads and discs, need to find an Ian £40 special :)

as for remapping the 595 160..... From what I can see on the arbarth forum, most of the chooners suggested there are as crap as the rest (sorry Ian if your lot get that tarring) :( but stay the fcuk away from the tuner boxes that's for sure!

#89 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Safety recall was the wiring loom that runs past the steering column can get chaffed by the steering column. Some/More cable ties required :lol:

#90 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Safety recall was the wiring loom that runs past the steering column can get chaffed by the steering column. Some/More cable ties required :lol:

:yeahthat:  ...they did it in August 2014 and I have subsequently had 4 phone calls from the same dealer and 3 letters from VOSA telling me I need to do it!

#91 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

They do sound well put together. :lol:

#92 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

We've had none lol, seems to be on the vosa site for cars after 2011.... Looks like a cost down for less ties in plant backfired

#93 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

• Still get some creaking at the front which is being investigated again, suspect ARB drop links (not warranty)/wishbone assy (warranty within 3 years)

Car went into Fiat a few weeks ago and they couldn't reproduce the issue, lubed up the handbrake cable to eliminate that, and booked me in for this morning.

Went on a 20 mile drive with a mechanic, and sucessfully reproduced the issue about a dozen times... he is happy he can hear it clearly and reproduce it which is half the battle won... then due to the fact my warranty is expiring in 10 days, they found me a loan car (dispite not having any - it is one of their advertising cars with writing all over it) and said they would keep my car for most of next week to diagnose and repair.  Credit where it's due... I am very happy with the service I had from the dealer this morning.

thumbsup

#94 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

Car went into Fiat a few weeks ago and they couldn't reproduce the issue, lubed up the handbrake cable to eliminate that, and booked me in for this morning.

Went on a 20 mile drive with a mechanic, and sucessfully reproduced the issue about a dozen times... he is happy he can hear it clearly and reproduce it which is half the battle won... then due to the fact my warranty is expiring in 10 days, they found me a loan car (dispite not having any - it is one of their advertising cars with writing all over it) and said they would keep my car for most of next week to diagnose and repair.  Credit where it's due... I am very happy with the service I had from the dealer this morning.

thumbsup

Hmmm... not yet convinced that this is going to go well...

Called me this afternoon... "he has reproduced it on the ramps and traced it to the bush in the lower wishbone/control arm, we are replacing the N/S under warranty"

Now, bear in mind that the noise is present both N/S and O/S, and they are just changing one side... the suspension is completely independent, so if that is the diagnosis for the N/S, then surely the O/S needs doing too.  I did point this out and he said he'd check with the mechanic.

As per my opening statement... I've a feeling this isn't going to go well.

#95 mitm

mitm

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yeahhh...another list. Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1435179429781.jpg   47.68KB   7 downloads

#96 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

thumbsup

Hmmm... not yet convinced that this is going to go well...

Called me this afternoon... "he has reproduced it on the ramps and traced it to the bush in the lower wishbone/control arm, we are replacing the N/S under warranty"

Now, bear in mind that the noise is present both N/S and O/S, and they are just changing one side... the suspension is completely independent, so if that is the diagnosis for the N/S, then surely the O/S needs doing too.  I did point this out and he said he'd check with the mechanic.

As per my opening statement... I've a feeling this isn't going to go well.

So, certainly not concluded to my satisfaction, but on the basis that my warranty has now expired, and that there is more to life than picking a fight with Fiat... it is concluded.

To paraphrase a few conversations with Fiat... we reproduced it on the ramps by hanging 3 men off it, and traced it to the bushes on the control arms... we removed the O/S which effectively wrote it off due to method of extraction.  We found that the bush had not failed or been compromised, but was just noisy, which is a "characteristic" and not a fault.  We replaced the O/S under warranty, and could not change the other as that would be classed as betterment, so we sprayed silicone grease on it.

I have test driven and the noise is gone, however, knowing that silicone grease spray is hardly a long term solution, I expect to have to replace the other in due course, spray silicone grease regularly, or put up with it :)

...apparently, they are a right bugger to change and involve removing the front bumper and various other bits.

So, I'd call this whole episode a no score draw... in diagnosing the root cause I got free top mounts and dampers and one of the offending control arms.

#97 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

Not a great experience but seems with the 'free' bits you got it has come out at a score draw.

#98 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

If anyone is looking for a 500, a friend of mine his selling his, having bought himself a 911 to replace it!

Fiat 500 1.2L Semi-automatic (Known as Dualogic) White with Black Ambience (i.e. dash, headrests, steering wheel etc.) Interscope hifi (DSP and subwoofer nestled under the driver's seat) which sounds great for such a small car. USB interface for MP3 playback. Mossive sunroof. First registered on 08/08/08. Just rolled past 48,000 miles (in 7 years!) Full Fiat Service History MOT next due Jan 2016. Only £35 for RFL.

#99 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

After over 3 years of ownership, I have just stumbled upon the fact it has a USB plug hidden under a litte flap... what a dick :)

#100 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

Lol, time to update the software too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users