More Horses Needed In The Stable

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Markus of goutshire

Markus of goutshire

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

Troll ? Piles ? Ugly ?? Oh dear that's not very nice darron I've been doing some homework and see there's a few companies that seem popular for tuning these one being mmg and the other Courtney does anyone have a preference or shall I dispose of this apparent time bomb of an engine for an Audi one ? Thanks

#42 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

However, does a vx NEED more than 280bhp?

I can understand your viewpoint as 280 BHP in a VX is fast, but I think you'd need to sit in a VX220 with more than 280 BHP to understand fully. The experience is truly electrifying and significantly different. If you come by Bristol ever, give me a ring and I'd be happy to demo.Granted a lot of the time you can't use all the power, but with wider tyres and decent tarmac it's easily possible to use a hell of a lot more than 280 BHP. Personally Id say 400 to 450 BHP is about the sweet spot to aim for (depending on whether you don't have/do have wing resistances).
   I get the desire for more power and faster acceleration and I know what having a ridiculous amount of power feels like (it's great fun). However a blast in your car would be very welcome one day and may indeed convince me otherwise :) On the flip side, i'd also be very interested to see your beast on track to see how much difference the extra power really makes. Would be interesting to see if I can keep up around the track at the next national with only 250bhp?

And lots of monies Nev!! ;)

Yeppers. If you do the work yourself though it isn't as bad as you think. Even after approx. 15 to 18k I've spent, it's hard to think of what you could buy that would be similar.
My daily commuter will accelerate from 0 to 140mph in 10 seconds, returns 38mpg and has a 2 year, 80k mile warranty for just £11k.... A high powered VX is a unique and wonderful thing that will be right for some, but for me the VX is about handling/feel and I'm happy with the balance at 250bhp.... a little more would be nice but not for the hassle/£ that comes with it. If I really want to accelerate more quickly, I'll go for a drive to work...

#43 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

However, does a vx NEED more than 280bhp?

I can understand your viewpoint as 280 BHP in a VX is fast, but I think you'd need to sit in a VX220 with more than 280 BHP to understand fully. The experience is truly electrifying and significantly different. If you come by Bristol ever, give me a ring and I'd be happy to demo.Granted a lot of the time you can't use all the power, but with wider tyres and decent tarmac it's easily possible to use a hell of a lot more than 280 BHP. Personally Id say 400 to 450 BHP is about the sweet spot to aim for (depending on whether you don't have/do have wing resistances).

I get the desire for more power and faster acceleration and I know what having a ridiculous amount of power feels like (it's great fun). However a blast in your car would be very welcome one day and may indeed convince me otherwise :) On the flip side, i'd also be very interested to see your beast on track to see how much difference the extra power really makes. Would be interesting to see if I can keep up around the track at the next national with only 250bhp?

And lots of monies Nev!! ;)

Yeppers. If you do the work yourself though it isn't as bad as you think. Even after approx. 15 to 18k I've spent, it's hard to think of what you could buy that would be similar.

My daily commuter will accelerate from 0 to 140mph in 10 seconds, returns 38mpg and has a 2 year, 80k mile warranty for just £11k.... A high powered VX is a unique and wonderful thing that will be right for some, but for me the VX is about handling/feel and I'm happy with the balance at 250bhp.... a little more would be nice but not for the hassle/£ that comes with it. If I really want to accelerate more quickly, I'll go for a drive to work...

This, and... WTF is your commuter??

#44 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

Any kind of super bike at a guess

#45 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

Wasn't MMG running 350hp on std block?

What has the block got to do with it? OK some minor work would be desireable but nothing that gives power.

#46 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

Get an mx5

#47 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

you can do 350bhp/370ft.lb on standard internals , this is nothing new.

#48 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

Troll ? Piles ? Ugly ?? Oh dear that's not very nice darron I've been doing some homework and see there's a few companies that seem popular for tuning these one being mmg and the other Courtney does anyone have a preference or shall I dispose of this apparent time bomb of an engine for an Audi one ? Thanks

Which ever way you choose you will still spend loads of cash , Talking from a person who has done it , and still is 😨

#49 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

are we still going munging on Friday?

#50 Crunchie

Crunchie

• PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Lots of different things, in lots of different places

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm reasonably interested in this, as an owner of MMG tuned de-catted but standard exhaust  Turbo. I don't want the on off boost of a massively over stretched engine but wouldn't mind a bit more acceleration from the car, for me I don't want to lose the drive-ability and I'm mostly interested in corners and B roads.

Question to Duncan really,.... whats the projected cost of an Audi conversion running said 340bhp from start to finish, assuming someone else does the work and not me.??

#51 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

Any kind of super bike at a guess

Sort of.. It's a super naked (giggidy) BMW S1000r which is like a superbike but more comfortable and just as quick. More info if anyone gives a sh*t: http://www.cycleworl..._redirect=never

Edited by Captain Vimes, 25 November 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#52 Markus of goutshire

Markus of goutshire

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:01 PM

Lots info there thanks chaps, I've decided after looking around that an engine conversion could be the way to go, to me the car needs to be faster and reliable, I'll let you know how it goes Ttfn Markus

#53 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

Question to Duncan really,.... whats the projected cost of an Audi conversion running said 340bhp from start to finish, assuming someone else does the work and not me.??

340bhp saves need for uprated high pressure pump internals. You could also retain oem dmf clutch setup is heavy but some benefits to dmf

#54 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

Cheaper than getting same power, delivery and 6 speed box work to zlet! And you still retain weak gearbox and less mpg No idea what others would charge to do conversion on vx220, seen elise ones quoting 25k which is a lot more DG

#55 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

Doesn't the S3 have a twin clutch and flappy paddles? It's gotta be worth the conversion just for that feature alone   rallly

#56 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Dsg twin clutch an option but lot heavier than 6 speed manual Also chunk of extra work needed DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users