Fitting A Z28Net

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#21 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

And I liked how this years f1 cars sounded obv not as nice as previous years but still sounded awesome especially on downshifts

#22 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Point missed but never mind. Also you'd probably want the Saab version to have the trionic software which can bypass the need for all the other tat on the CAN system the gm version would have a proper sandy minge moment over

#23 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Bin the standard ECU and run something like a Syvecs S6 on this type of engine, with integrated traction, launch etc. full closed-loop boost control.. The standard engine is only good for ~400bhp apparently before internals need looking at. They produce a mountain of torque from low down which will need reined in to make it drivable.. It's a tempting prospect, but having looked at it a few times I'm still not convinced it attaches to the standard gearbox...

#24 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

I figured you must be able to get a standalone ecu or something which covers the engine. As above biggest issue would be ensuring all other systems work correctly but I'll probably ask someone who deals with electrics. Does anyone know size differences of f23, m32 and f40 gearboxes? I'll have a look and see myself but thought I'd ask the question

#25 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

F23 and M32 are similar weights, F40 about 10kg heavier IIRC.. Nothing particularly fancy about the engine (like direct injection) that a few well specced ECUs won't handle..

#26 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

Or just use the Saab management with trionic.....

#27 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Or just use the Saab management with trionic.....

That's probably more challenging for us without intimate understanding of such things.. Is there a ECU firmware package like OBDT or HP Tuners to run without all the other integrated sh*te..?

#28 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Trionic IS firmware with a full calibration suite (far far far far more access than odbtuners) with manuals and all sorts. Full control, which is possibly out the he league of many chooners who'd chuck their franchise PCM on and do a full powaaaahhhh cal with minimal cold start and driveability etc. A quick google for the trionic suite of t7/8 or maybe higher for the v6turbot would be a wise start.

#29 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

Ah ok, I'm not down with the Saab kids... So why hasn't anyone done this rather than feckin about with dodgy iron boat anchors and hairdryer-driven 4-pots.. :lol:

#30 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

Because people are sheep, or simply want the most flexible solution with zero effort, or something like that

#31 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

Stupid question. But as the Saab and GM engine are the same what would stop you using the Vauxhall engine with the Saab software? For example could the guys with OBD software run that if they swapped the z22 put for a b207?

#32 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

From what I gather, they are the same 'general' design, but the Saab units didn't receive the same level of cost cutting as the GM units, therefore are more tolerant of power hikes. Manufacturers always design an engine properly and then get proper pikey with components when actually making them to sell.

#33 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

I only bring it up, had a look on Neo Brothers for a brand crate Saab engine would be 2800 where as the Vauxhall one is around 1900 delivered excl import tax. Would it be more advisable to go for a Saab engine?

#34 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

Stupid question. But as the Saab and GM engine are the same what would stop you using the Vauxhall engine with the Saab software? For example could the guys with OBD software run that if they swapped the z22 put for a b207?

Different trigger wheel pattern and coil pack design.

To use the OBD software with the B207 you need an external crank trigger and different coil pack.

Neither are end of the world.

#35 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

I only bring it up, had a look on Neo Brothers for a brand crate Saab engine would be 2800 where as the Vauxhall one is around 1900 delivered excl import tax. Would it be more advisable to go for a Saab engine?

I doubt there will be any difference with this engine, it's used in so few cars that GM won't have changed the design compared to the saab one. might be worth phoning neo brothers to see what they can do. A drop of £500 should bring it to the same price as the GM one imported.

#36 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item58b4f8d2e1

£2500 most likely, and then break it (obviously the box is wrong but hey, the point stands, you can get a whole car for about the cost of just the engine and then scrap the car/sell bits to get more cash for silly stuff.

http://en.wikipedia....ture_engine#LP9

shows what it was fitted to and the Saab numbering for it too.

#37 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-06-VAUXHALL-SIGNUM-2-8-V6-TURBO-AUTO-ELITE-STUNNING-LOOKING-L-K-/380993327841?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item58b4f8d2e1   £2500 most likely, and then break it (obviously the box is wrong but hey, the point stands, you can get a whole car for about the cost of just the engine and then scrap the car/sell bits to get more cash for silly stuff.   http://en.wikipedia....ture_engine#LP9 shows what it was fitted to and the Saab numbering for it too.

I was actually just looking into that :lol: was just about to google to make sure it was the same engine. Cheers for that will make it far far cheaper to get hold of the engine doing it that way.

#38 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:07 AM

from memory , the v6 uses motronic m9.6 B284L with 250BHP B284E with 230BHP only difference is calibration B284R , believe has hot cams, 280bhp in OPC/VXR Vectra 321bhp read up here : http://www.autospeed...?popularArticle

#39 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

from memory , the v6 uses motronic m9.6 B284L with 250BHP B284E with 230BHP only difference is calibration B284R , believe has hot cams read up here : http://www.autospeed...?popularArticle

Sizten beat me to it - v6 doesn't use trionic unfortunately, but bosch management system. T5 and T7 is excellent though. (B204, B205 etc)

#40 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

doh, still tools about to play with the ME9.6 though, the SAAB lot are very cunning gits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users