• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#441 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

Totally agree with you. It does allow you to pick up a bargain though. If we had left hand drive cars, used values would increase in line with Europe as Europeans would just import our cheap used vehicles. As they already do in Ireland.

#442 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:03 PM

Totally agree @coldel

#443 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

I understand the sentiment in Coldels statement but you know what? in 10 years of buying and selling I can tell you that almost 100% Lower mileage cars are less of a headache. The addage was true for older cars but modern cars do tend to sit ok with very few issues. Sometimes it will depend on the quality of the environment they have been stored in but you'll never win the argument with the buying public. Buyers that seek out higher mileage cars are rare. It's like been on tinder and swiping right on the females that lok like they have been around the block the most.

#444 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

Agreed Johnny boy, I started a small business a year ago buying and selling cars and mileage very much dictates the value. What I meant was, if you're not scared of mileages and realise the difference between motorway miles and city miles you can get a bargain as the public write cars off with high mileages. I would rather buy a 3 year old car with 100,000 miles than a 10 year old car with 30,000 miles.

#445 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

Absolutely Gaffer, the uk buying public here are obsessed with miles, in their minds low miles equates to a better car. The smarter buyer will know that a higher miler that is fastidiously looked after will be a bargain, in that respect the market is great for the clued up buyer. 

#446 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:10 PM

Just shows the average car buyer is a fool who is easily parted with their money. probably why many of the main dealers are staffed by fools too. It's a fools fest....

#447 SParky77

SParky77

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Unhealthy interest in cars. VX220 makes it three. I need an intervention! Liverpool FC.

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:21 AM

Totally agree with you. It does allow you to pick up a bargain though. If we had left hand drive cars, used values would increase in line with Europe as Europeans would just import our cheap used vehicles. As they already do in Ireland.

Before I bought my VX I admit I had been looking at Elises (sorry, I shall go and wash my mouth out).  Was one, an Elise S2 Type 72, I was going to look at.  Before I got to check it out the seller rang to tell me some chap had come over from France (think it was France) and bought it and a couple of other Elises whilst over here.  Seems they go for silly money over in Europe so were raiding our shores to take them back.  Don't know if that's happened with the VX.

I admit when I bought mine was not wanting to spend a fortune for a "toy", maybe that's why it was the cheapest on Autotrader at the time (December 2019) with 37k on the clock.  Seems to have been looked after and lightly modded by an enthusiast of a previous owner and not had any issues.  Only thing I have noticed is the exhaust lambda sensor (code P1137) flicking the EML light on twice after some downshifting and exuberant booting it!

Edited by SParky77, 09 June 2020 - 12:22 AM.

#448 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:08 AM

The O2 sensor is a common fault.

I think when they are 50 years old they will be worth £30,000 for a nice one. Or whatever the equivalent to £30,000 would be in the future. I'm basing that off current Elan prices. Although with less petrol manual cars about in 30 years it may be worth even more.

#449 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

Just had a browse on PH at VX prices whilst on a particularly boring conference call...prices really are all over the place. Some turbos, even from dealers up for less than similar other cars sold privately. Wonder if availability is causing a few problems i.e. if the cheaper one is 5 hours away, do you risk going to look at it and pay the higher price for a local one. Also that there seemed to be just one or two of each colour, then of course there is the three tier market of NA, SC and Turbo. 

Pretty confident if I wanted to I could sell my turbo for more than I paid for it, but how much more really is unknown.

#450 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

I think when they are 50 years old they will be worth £30,000 for a nice one. Or whatever the equivalent to £30,000 would be in the future. I'm basing that off current Elan prices. Although with less petrol manual cars about in 30 years it may be worth even more.

Just 30 more years to go then...

Joys of waiting and not driving a low mileage vx220... fun

#451 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

I wish i was able to drive mine more than I do :(

#452 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

In 30 years time there will not be a significant market for these cars - the people to maintain them will be dead. The people who enjoy driving will be dead. The opportunities to drive them will be dead!

Already we are seeing the trend in the younger generations coming through - they are in generally less obsessive about cars. Historically the number of younger people taking their driving test is falling, and the age at which they do is increasing. Car ownership amongst the younger generations is the lowest it's been for years!

Not trying to depress anyone, my message is simple. Don't spend all your time polishing it, spend more time driving it and enjoying it!

If you want to invest, buy a flat or some stocks and shares. Don't p!ss about with a VX220 as you really are deluding yourself!

#453 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

I don't think this post is about investment. I think most people know a VX220 is a lousy investment. But yes, use them. However I think people will still want these is 30 years.

#454 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

In 30 years the cars will basically be 50 years old. A fraction of the current number will still be on the road, the rest will be at Douglas Valley being stripped so there parts can be sold at astronomical prices to keep the few odd cars that are left on the road.

The majority of current VX owners will be at least 80 years old, the majority of their children in their mid forties plus and you'll not be able to use them on the road anyway!

Obviously just my opinion, and I hope I am wrong, but I think the number of people who will WANT one in 30 years will be limited. Very limited. Probably about the same number of people who hanker after an Austin Princess or Allegro now! :)

#455 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:46 PM

I think unfortunately a combination of a sea change of type of car i.e. ICE vs other non-polluting forms, growing population and increasing cost of vehicle ownership, push to public transport, drive to eliminating petrol outlets etc. will mean a different 'classic' environment in the coming decades. A Datsun 240z lives now in a similar environment to when it did 30 years ago with petrol stations in abundance, vehicle ownership as a second or third car an affordable option etc. all that will change. You also have the inevitable elephant in the room, one that we all don't mind but 99% of the public do, but ultimately it has a Vauxhall badge on the front, not a Lotus or Aston Martin or Jaguar or anything with prestige that naturally becomes classic. 

I applaud anyone keeping one of these for 30 years but I fear you wont be seeing big 'classic' money being associated with them 

#456 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

I'm not that old. Are the majority of VX220 owners in their 50s? I've had thoughts similar to you about petrol stations but lorries and farming equipment are going to be oil burners for a long time. I think there will be a small market their for petrol. Maybe a petrol station for every major town. 50 years we may have that problem but I don't think we will in 30 years.

#457 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

What about those of us who need 99ron though....

#458 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

I don't know.

#459 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

I'm not that old. Are the majority of VX220 owners in their 50s? I've had thoughts similar to you about petrol stations but lorries and farming equipment are going to be oil burners for a long time. 

Nope. I forecast that within 10 years we will see a significant reduction in Diesel burning commercial vehicles (lorries, vans, etc) and these will be phased out or converted to run on Hydrogen Fuel Cells as the clamour to remove particulates from the air in our densely populated towns and cities will only grow in its fervour. Bus fleets will start to dramatically change within 5 years with a full diesel phase out within 10 across the UK.

Ships will be converted over a slightly longer time frame to remove diesel and replace with green hydrogen for the fuel. Indeed some large container ships will be able to use their own solar panels to create the green hydrogen fuel they need (maybe not all of it) as they steam(?) during daylight hours. Replacing the diesel engines on cargo ships will present a huge carbon saving across the food and consumer goods sectors and is inevitable.

From when is it, 2022? All cars sold in Europe will need to be fitted with devices that can limit their speed remotely and enhanced self drive features and functions are being mandated too. The babies being born now, are, in 20 years time not even probably going to bother with a driving test or licence as the majority of the transport they use within the towns and cities will be autonomous and "public service".

I might be 10 years premature (that would fit as my wife says I'm always premature  :tt: ) but the future looks bleak for sports car fans and lovers of driving. We're going to be legislated and automated off the road over the next 30 years....  

#460 StephenH

StephenH

• 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

I'm considering selling my VX (NA). Where's the best place to sell? Pistonheads perhaps? What's the consensus on price for a 2 owner 2002 model with 14k miles? Standard car other than VSE. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users