• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Lev

Lev

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

hey Daniel

good thread and I hope your car will be shortly ready to run.

I have a similar setup and just about to -hopefully- complete the conversion.

cheers

Lev

#82 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

Car passed mot this week without any issue at all. Pleased to see emmission is good after the turbostuff was put on. Gasketleak on the oilpan to fix and we're done! Changed the oem wheels for the summershoes and weighted them: Oem velgen Voor 175/55/17 Bridgestone 18.1 kg Achter 225/45/17 Bridgestone 24.0 kg ATS DTC Voor 215/40/17 Federal rsr 18.1 kg Achter 235/40/17 Federal rsr 23.1 kg Find some time next week to map the ecu, put up some #'s and this topic is done. @Lev: you got a topic here off your build?

#83 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

Finally some figures with your custom build.....YES!!!! ;-)

#84 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Well done, it must be nice to be able to drive it now :)

#85 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Short update:

Due to massive knock that I think should not be there (phantomknock) I adjusted the KS with a thin gasket between the KS and the block. I also upgraded my sparkplugs to NGK ITR7IX-11 Iridiums gapped to .030 (0,7mm). This seemed to work good as normal knock was still detected but way less false knock. Timing was were it should be (16/17 instead of 13/14 degrees).

Oil leak is finaly solved and the car is 99% mapped for 0.5 bar boost and pushing out 240 bhp / 309Nm (227lbs).

Great fun drivin' it around now. Instant boost so great fun on the twisty B-roads.

Next few weeks I have some time off so will start with the 0.6 / 0.7 / 0.8 bar maps. Should see 260bhp (I hope so..)

Posted Image

IAT's are still abit high at 55-65C when pushing it with powerruns and sitting still to map (heatsoak). When 70ish C and then running the car again at highway speeds the temp only drops back to 58-60C IAT.

So I started with the airflow. Ordered side vents from Eltech to replace the N/A mesh and create more inflow. Used some alu bolts to space the diffuser 1" from the clam:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Dutch trackers seem to have good cooling results by doing this. Not directly to do with the IAT's but a cooler/better vented enginebay seems a good thing on a mid engined car.

#86 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Be careful on your standard internals A sc safe zone is considered 260 max Turbo charged what are the limits

#87 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Yeah... the allmighty 250hp rule.

GM blew rods at 283 hp (allthough its torque that kills parts..) when shooting a serious NOS shot at it. 

DBilas claims to run 300bhp with their MAXI turbo kit on a stock Z22SE engine without issues.

I don't know...

I'll see 260bhp as safe. My turbo cant flow any more than 270ish so I'll be out of its efficiancy range anyway.

Can't be bothered to push the last 10bhp out of the car just for the #'s. 

The area under the curveline is what makes a car fast, not the hp-top-# at 7500 rpm. So peak#'s are not my priority.

But still thanks to remind me  chinky chinky

#88 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

The quoted 250BHP number on the SC ones is probably a crank number after the parasitic losses from the charger which can be substantial, so I'd guess that a turbo would be OK up to around 280BHP crank HP before getting into issues. (as it does not have the power 'drained' by the SC from the crank)

Having said that.. It's more likely on rods and pistons that it's the torque (and BMEP in the cylinders) that's actually killing 'em and the HP numbers are fairly meaningless.

Bye, Arno.

#89 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:21 PM

Nice project TFD, glad you are up and running nicely now, well done.

Edited by Nev, 24 July 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#90 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Followed him on some twisties with my turd. Car goes very well!
Also had a passengerride. Turbo spools very fast up from low rpm's.....

Posted Image

Very nice and clean build.... (we did inspect everything!!!)

Posted Image

Nice one Daniel!

#91 FPVsketch

FPVsketch

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

This car still about? I been toying with doing a turbo conversion on my NA and using OBD Tuner. Nice to see this turned out well and is hopefully going 3 yrs on..?

#92 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Yup, still with us, but mostly on the Dutch forum. (You can PM him for specific details on the build.)

#93 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

Car is still going strong.

Getting ready for some geo and some minor tweaks in the software and up we go again for summer  thumbsup

#94 MWS

MWS

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Football - Stockport County & VFB Stuttgart
    Cars - VX220s
    Basketball - Miami Heat

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Followed him on some twisties with my turd. Car goes very well!
Also had a passengerride. Turbo spools very fast up from low rpm's.....

Very nice and clean build.... (we did inspect everything!!!)

P7230126_zps4v0tf1ni.jpg

Nice one Daniel!

Love those wheels!  :wub: 

What are they?

#95 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Ats DTC

#96 FPVsketch

FPVsketch

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

Car is still going strong.

Getting ready for some geo and some minor tweaks in the software and up we go again for summer  thumbsup

Have you changed anything from when you first carried out the conversion? If you did it again would you change anything? 

I am installing a gt2871 on my 2.2 NA, just in the process of mocking up the manifold (its a tight squeeze).

#97 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

No I didnt change anything afterwards. Maybe the IC pipe routing could be optimised, but not sure. Due to no real "how to's" I had to think about every detail myself. So overthough things 3 times lol.

With a 2871 the space is limited and would normaly lead to a lower turbo position if you want to keep the boot. This could reduce the clearance between oildrain and oilpipe (block) and could be a problem.

Are you going with a forged engine? A 2871 on a stock z22se is way overkill and laggy if you keep the ~260bhp limit in mind.

With a gt28xx turbo or larger I would go with a tubular manifold instead of a logstyle like I did. Logstyle for the T25 turbo is fine and easy to make and fit.

#98 FPVsketch

FPVsketch

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

Initially I will be keeping stock internals and then build an engine for the next phase of the project, I am hoping for a little lag of nice off boost driving and cruising, fingers crossed it will stay in boost on gear changes when driving on track. Worst case I drop down to say a gt2560, I am using t25 flange and Atleast building it to accommodate the gt2871 I will address all clearance issues from the beginning, I think log manifolds seems to work very well, I am going to try and fit a tubular one in but if it will cause to.much compromise I will happily build log manifold, I don't think it will effect my long term goal a great deal. I want to be able to keep the boost low and intake temps low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users