I then set about the fuel pump replacement. I bought the pump from Joe and so it wasn't brand new but had done very few miles. I opted to do this by expanding the inspection hole as if I was dropping the tank, a nice shiney pro-alloy one would be going back in. First I stripped out most of the interior. I disconnected the battery as I wanted to remove the seat belt and didn't want to trigger the air bag light. I drew out what I thought would roughly be the hole, taking the existing hole and expanding it to the left. I ensured I didn't come close than around an inch to the front fold in the tub so as to prevent any damage to the strength it adds. I then disconnected everything to find that the hole wasn't quite big enough annoyingly to get the pump through. I didn't want to use any tools at this stage as the fuel tank was now open to atmosphere fire is not a look I wanted to go for. Using some snips, I enlarged the hole to get the old pump out and the new one in and then tidied it up later. The new spitfire pump uses a slightly different seal system and given all the horror stories on here thought it was going to be a pig to get the split ring back on. Turns out with the correct lube and a little force I was able to get it in and sealed without too much fuss
Wiring was next and I replaced the old connector with the new one that comes with the pump. After some back/forwards with Gaz he sent me over the fitting instructions and I set about stripping the old connector. This is clearly labeled as ABCD and these correspond to.
A = Sender Live
B = PUMP LIVE
C= PUMP EARTH
D = Sender Earth
The colours may differ from car to car so I have omitted those but it should be fairly obvious when doing it what letters apply.
The new plug, looking at it from the side where the wires enter it go ABDC, with orange/black in the pic below being A and the black one being C.
Once all connected up, I reconnected the battery, primed the line pump which all sounded good and realised I hadn't reconnected the seat belt. Frantic rush to turn it all off as I didn't want to have to reset the airbag light and luckily that wasn't enough to leave it triggered. I refitted that, then primed the system. I went round to the bleed nipple on the fuel line on the engine and to my delight, fuel came out!
The car started first time without any problems.
I was going to make a cover for the hole with some sheet steel I had but then my wife turned around and said, why don't you make it from carbon fibre. Ordered up a sheet and before you know it,
Added some edging trim to seal it down and voila. I even had the aluminium rivnuts in stock for attaching.
Took the car to C&M for the monthly meet. It felt faster and happier to rev although I imagine that was just a placebo.
The car has developed a funny sound now, like a metallic spring/twang at slow speed. It increases with speed but not revs and stops when brakes are applied. Seems to be coming from the drivers front area. In preparation for a track day on 3rd September, I have replaced the hub carrier bolts and the drop links. While the suspension was off I checked the wishbones and they move freely up and down. The ARB was not creaking either so not sure what is causing it. I'll go round the block to see if the problem is cured sometime soon.
Edited by sford, 22 August 2019 - 12:03 PM.