Project Fracas - 6Sp A20Nft

• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#561 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

If I were to swap engine this would be the perfect fit: http://wardsauto.com...rged-dohc-4-cyl

Perfect in its stock format, I've driven the S/V60 Polestar with this engine and the response and performance is  astonishing even in a heavy sedan.

( I might be a little biased since I work at a certain company with advanced engine development :ninja:  )  

Twincharging our cars would end the debate on what type engine is best  :wub:

#562 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

If I were to swap engine this would be the perfect fit: http://wardsauto.com...rged-dohc-4-cyl   Perfect in its stock format, I've driven the S/V60 Polestar with this engine and the response and performance is  astonishing even in a heavy sedan. ( I might be a little biased since I work at a certain company with advanced engine development :ninja:  )     Twincharging our cars would end the debate on what type engine is best  :wub:      

Interesting engine. 42.7 psi output from the turbo.... Wow

#563 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Dominks software-only tuned A20NFT runs 2Bar (so ~30psi). quite remarkable what you can get away with DI and dual variable cam

#564 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

gauge pressure or absolute

#565 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

( I might be a little biased since I work at a certain company with advanced engine development :ninja:  )      

Don't suppose you know Chetan Kotur do you?

#566 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

gauge pressure or absolute

2Bar over atmosphere. So 3Bar absolute, and 2Bar at the gauge

#567 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Don't suppose you know Chetan Kotur do you?

Doesn't ring a bell what components is he working with?

#568 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

He's in design, I'm sure its a massive company but thought I'd ask just in case.

#569 BadCop

BadCop

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Turbocharged direct injector variable valve timing engines like the A20NFT might be the last major iteration of modern automotive petrol engines. :(

The focus is/will shift to electric now...

I agree on the second one and I love electric cars. 

https://youtu.be/WDu9HpPD8VY?t=793

Someday a build like this will be superior to any combustion engine.

And that one  :D

https://youtu.be/ib-02b2ooLY?t=211

But the A20NFT is not the last step of the evolution :D

I'm experimenting with Porsche GT2 VTG Control Unit at the moment.

If you have driven one of these VTG Porsches you know why.

For a A20NFT on the racetrack they are not the best choice - one single turbo is a bit too small for making big power numbers.

For like 500 to 600 bhp (over 700 HP on ethanol) on the track I'd recommend the Borg Warner EFR 7163 which comes as a bolt on replacement for the stock  A20NFT turbo.

But what really interests me for street cars is the power down low and a smooth torque curve.

That is why I try to implement the Porsche VTG Controlmodule to the GM ECU.

Just imagine a constant 30 psi of boost from 1500 to 8000 rpm :) No need to twincharge and no need to wastegate  ;)

#570 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Every time you post something, Dominik, it makes me schoolgirl happy that I went with this engine (and that I know someone with a clue on how to tweak it). Like I said, I'm good with mechanicals and physics, but I'm an electrical retard. Implementing controllers like this is just wayyy beyond me!

#571 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

This evenings mini project... get the oem seat reclined further. Basically the oem rails slide back a fair way, but the inclination of the seat is pretty upright, and there's a lot of scope to recline the chair to match the petrol tank compartment wall angle. This brings the head of the seat much closer to the window, inside the roll cage aperture itself (no good for standard vx's with the roll cage headrests). Brings the top of the drivers head down a few cm, raises the thighs/knees, and through bent legs, increases the effective distance to the pedals. Every cm counts when you're a tall bastard.

Basically is a modified version of the oem mount, super simple.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, plus provision for harness eyelets, for quick-n-dirty fitting without doing a full seat and mount swap.

Edited by Doctor Ed, 02 July 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#572 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

Just imagine a constant 30 psi of boost from 1500 to 8000 rpm :) No need to twincharge and no need to wastegate  ;)

Still.. 42.7 psi on a 2.0L also sounds nice...

http://wardsauto.com...rged-dohc-4-cyl

Bye, Arno.

#573 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Turbocharged direct injector variable valve timing engines like the A20NFT might be the last major iteration of modern automotive petrol engines. :(

The focus is/will shift to electric now...

But the A20NFT is not the last step of the evolution :D

I'm experimenting with Porsche GT2 VTG Control Unit at the moment.

If you have driven one of these VTG Porsches you know why.

For a A20NFT on the racetrack they are not the best choice - one single turbo is a bit too small for making big power numbers.

For like 500 to 600 bhp (over 700 HP on ethanol) on the track I'd recommend the Borg Warner EFR 7163 which comes as a bolt on replacement for the stock  A20NFT turbo.

But what really interests me for street cars is the power down low and a smooth torque curve.

That is why I try to implement the Porsche VTG Controlmodule to the GM ECU.

Will you use a different / hybrid turbo unit presumably? Some of the latest BMW engines use an electronically controlled waste gate(I know, not the same as VTG), which may offer some improvement also (quicker response essentially).

#574 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

Bye, Arno.

quite a long stroke 93.6mm , slightly less than z22se , at 7500rpm piston speed 23.3 m/s , 8000rpm 24.8 m/s

#575 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Let hope it more reliable than vw's attempt at twin charging. The 1.4 TSI has had lots of issues.

#576 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

Was tidying up today (first time sans car for a while!) and kept looking at the fuel tank... so just how hard would it to be turn the unit?

Pretty farken easy. Rotated through a complete 1/3 of a rotation using the already existing arm guides built into the pump housing. Needed to coax the mounting ring with some multi grips to make the antirotation indexing bit work, but piece of cake.

Lots of room now for lazy loops of 200series (makes dropping the tank way easier too).

Posted Image

Posted Image

How did you separate the arm guides from the rest of the assembly? Did you pull them out from the top of the unit or compress the flares at the bottom?

#577 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

pulled the shafts up out of the bottom carrier (fuel pump side).

a gentle but firm pull was all that was required for them to pop out, and they clicked back in again in the new position with a light snap. the hole with the spring in it gets reused, so didnt need to move the spring

#578 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Thanks

#579 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

for those playing at home, this is the PITA that is mating an M32 to a A20NFT / Z22SE / B207 etc

basically the M32 input shaft doesnt normally run in a pilot bearing. ive got bad ju-ju's about this, and want the end of the shaft seated and controlled

so basically TTV are making me a new flywheel and clutch, and pressing a bronze bush into the flywheel to accept the inputshaft and locate it. 

these are the necessary dimensions for those who may ever need them:

Posted Image

#580 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Bye, Arno.

42 PSI to make just 365 HP sounds like a bit of a struggle; I guess due to optimisation for economy and Euro 5 compliance etc.

Conversely my old skool engine needs only 10 PSI to make 480 HP, though it will be "somewhat" less fuel efficient.

Edited by Nev, 05 July 2017 - 11:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)