Random shot of the shed...

IMG_1433.JPG

#1062 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

glassed the defect in the hipline curve. got 99% of it out. the rest i can do with filler :)

for players at home, i prepped the top surface, keyed it, marked out topography lines using a straight edge and a marker pen, and laid three layers of mat cut to the shape of the topgraphy lines. laid and wet out the mat, then laid long strips of packing tape down, bridging the new glass patch, and profiling it to the surrounding surfaces. basically made an external mold out of the tape. seems to have worked well. ill report back in a few hours when i feel game enough to pull up the tape.

IMG_1439.JPG

#1063 chriss

chriss

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

It's taken me a week to read your build thread and it's great. I have recently purchased a speedster build with a supercharger that is not yet mounted so I've been working with charge coolers
And a lot of other similar things to your build. But getting to the point I'm 6foot 5./197cm and have raised my steering wheel and will be adjusting my pedals thanks to your tip and would love the measurements for your seat brackets. My mx5 is massive compared to the speedster 😂

#1064 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

sweden eh, LHD im assuming... ive got an extra set of the drivers seat bracket in LHD if you'd like, shoot me a PM. i could also send you the CAD file for laser cutting and folding, but you might as well get a pair already finished ;) both the pedals extension and the column lift in combo with the seat got my 191cm in there. 197 is going to be interesting no matter which way you look at it!

#1065 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

meanwhile.. an uninteresting day of mostly invisible work. I'm working towards cutting out the rear panel between the taillights, along with the vents behind the rear wheels. Before doing so I figured it would be a smart idea to reinforce around these would-be cuts, before they become big floppy holes. Chopped mat blended in to chopped mat isn't really pic worthy

Finished pic of the hip curve following the recontour with mat on the otherhand... as it came 'out of the mould' so to speak. No filler, not sanded. Pretty happy!

IMG_1483.JPG

Ordered some silica and some mircobaloons and will try my hand a making my own filler with my existing  PU resin. Also got some white PU flowcoat to throw over the top. Once the mounts get here, I'll drill the fastener positions, and it'll be approaching finished. 

Then come the doors, roof, quarters. Then I can start on the front... ugh.

Generally avoiding having to replace the clutch bearing really.

#1066 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

Have you got a link to this rubber angle grinder attachment you speak of, it sounds brilliant but I can only find rigid pads, and very few with velcro..

#1067 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:26 PM

basically this:

https://www.ebay.co....4-/361282054938

s-l1600.jpg

#1068 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

Scuse my ignorance, but how to the sanding discs attach and stay on the rubber mount?

#1069 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

Velcro ;)

#1070 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

machinist guy actually managed to machine the case hardened crown gear relatively easily. took a while till he got around to it, but job done! happy days. can get the good ratio gearbox rebuilt now with the 3.65 final drive and LSD :)

IMG_1496.JPG

#1071 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

Wow, you've gone for 3.65 FD? I find it too long myself.

#1072 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:39 PM

6sp box and lower individual gearing compared to a 5sp. top of 4th is 120mph. bang on perfect :)

heres the plot:

IMG_3278.JPG

compare to your own graph. even taking rpm redline into account, you're still pushing longer ratios

http://www.vx220.org...ject/?p=1962551

Edited by Doctor Ed, 03 October 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#1073 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:38 AM

Ah, are you using an F40?

#1074 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:05 AM

M32

#1075 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

Got the lsd and crown gear back... all lines up a-ok :)

IMG_1558.JPG

Front arch of the rear widebody mocked up. Looking decidedly fat. need to cut and reshape the transition into the sill, but shouldnt be too bad. then need to look at scoop and door transition

IMG_1562_2.JPG

#1076 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

and for something a little different...

decided to splurge on a race capture pro (got one cheap on facebook) and as an offshoot of that, decided their tablet based dash option (bluetooth) was worth having a play with.

after a bit of googling, found the samsung galaxy tab 3 8" was the best fit for physical size whilst maximising the screen size in the available space (and also dirt cheap second hand on scumtree). the lotus/vx binnacle makes this kind of thing p*ss easy too... the used tablet i got came with a shitty case/wallet thing, which i removed the plastic click-in holder part from, epoxied some aluminium box section to the back of it (as a spacer basically) and stuck some 3M self adhesive velcro to both the binnacle and the tablet mount. tough as nails, and not coming out in a hurry (does, in fact, not come out in a hurry - levering/peeling the velcro out in the available space is pretty tough, so once in, its pretty much staying in till the one day youre determined to take it out). i know nothing about android tabs, but the possibilities to get it running semi autonomously seem pretty good too: https://wiki.autospo...blet_Automation need to get my nerd hat on though, and maybe learn something to implement that. 

these pics are some random lap timing screen of the race capture, but you can obviously also run OBD dash gauges, or literally any of the 100's of OBD based gauge apps. pretty neat and simply really, and very happy with it :)

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

Edited by Doctor Ed, 09 October 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#1077 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

and let the itching begin

part one, cut the guts out of the back of the clam (having previously reinforced the cut line)

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

cut line reinforced to 5mm, nice! doesnt flex around at all despite the massive hole

IMG_1582.JPG

#1078 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

silk cut scoop I think worked out ok

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

#1079 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

Do you think the plastic honeycomb grill will melt from the heat from the engine bay over time? Or is the plastic heat stable? It was a concern of mine and whether to use aluminium grill instead. It's looking really nice so far and the grill shape works well.

#1080 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:55 PM

And rear motor cover....

IMG_1620.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users