74 replies to this topic

#41 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:22 AM

[quote name="Captain Vimes" post="1842444" timestamp="1455055299"]

Based on the comments about driving experience they don't sound worth the hassle. I'll try and get a test drive in a 911 and an Evora at some point this year.

But for now I'll stop looking at classifieds for porsche's and start booking up some trips/track days for the VX. [/quote ] there's a good trip in May...

#42 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

Don't believe all the crap you read about an early 996 being a mare,I ran one for 2 years a while back ,not a single problem, a pal has a 1998 996 as a track slag it's ticking near 200000 miles and Is totally fine, and it just goes round and round a track without a break until the fuel light comes on then drives home.Also don't listen to the " it'll be boring after a vx " brigade as they are a totally different car and need to be driven in a very different manner to extract the best from one

#43 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Most at work have had to have air-conditioning radiators. 3-4K servicing seems the norm....

Air con rads are 90 quid and a major service on a gt3 is 700 at a main dealer A yearly is 350,consumables are no more than many modded bits for a vx

Edited by darronwall, 11 February 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#44 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

I had a 911 996 carerra 2 in black. 3.6 engine full GT3 kit. I wrote it off after a couple of months and then bought a blue carrera 4 with porsche stability management. again full GT3 kit heated seats etc. lovely to drive and had it just over 12 months. It ATE tyres. pirelli please zeros at 220 each. it cost about 65 a month in tyres! I didn't have too many issues but the ones I had were all almost a grand a time....rad pipes...clutch lines etc. I'll never regret it but it's an open wallet carvfrom my experience. The guy that bought my black 911 fro a salvage yard repaired it and then the engine went...that cost him 6k as he fitted bit himself. The INS is the major unknown and goes depending for on if the car likes you or not! Do it. Enjoy it. I personally have had more enjoyment fro the vx since owning it only 4 days! and I get more interest in the vx! Enjoy your journey!

#45 mxorvx

mxorvx

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

Picked up an evora last week. Still have the VX but my likely usage means I will probably sell it. I had not driven it at all before I bought it but I knew from reviews from other ex Elise/VX owners it would be great.

#46 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

Picked up an evora last week. Still have the VX but my likely usage means I will probably sell it. I had not driven it at all before I bought it but I knew from reviews from other ex Elise/VX owners it would be great.

#47 mxorvx

mxorvx

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

That's for people who no longer have VX's?!

#48 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

That's for people who no longer have VX's?!

Jg still has his , its like a register of deviants

#49 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

Another Evora! Goes great along side the vx. I have driven my vx once since owning the Evora which is more than I thought I would :lol: There won't be enough to go round at this rate. What did you buy?

#50 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

I make that 6 Evoras on here: James141414141 Ric Lazy Coco Mxorvx Me thumbsup

#51 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

PaulCP?

#52 mxorvx

mxorvx

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

Another Evora! Goes great along side the vx. I have driven my vx once since owning the Evora which is more than I thought I would :lol: There won't be enough to go round at this rate. What did you buy?

A grey NA 2011.

Comes with sports pack, heated seats, reversing sensors, sound system upgrade, de-cat, sound system upgrade with bluetooth connectivity / hands free etc.

Collected last Friday. 

Edited by mxorvx, 17 February 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#53 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

A grey NA 2011.   Comes with sports pack, heated seats, reversing sensors, sound system upgrade, de-cat, sound system upgrade with bluetooth connectivity / hands free etc.   Collected last Friday. 
Bet James has already driven it.

#54 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Just been offered an early evora in px for my 996,it will be sold on again, it will be sub 30k and is low miles I will know more after the weekend if anyone is interested

#55 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

Some are easier to sell than others, so bear that in mind when giving a part ex value. 2+0 are harder to sell than 2+2 for example

#56 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

Darren I might interested in that Evora

#57 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thread resurrection.

Similar Evora/911 going through my mind at present...with only added twist for me being that I also wanted a classic car in the stable so wrongly/rightly I'm just about to go down the path of a pre 1989 911...was seriously looking at Evoras but I suspect that will be something to come back to in the future (and for the Evora owners here hope the prices stay strong for you guys!).

Just started a thread on the general discussion, and I kind of need to let the other half know about the prospect of two cars in the garage. Previously she wouldn't enter the garage more than a few times a year but since locating the laundry room/gym to the back of the garage :)

so anyone with classic 911 experience?

#58 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

Strong money these days.  I don't recall anyone on here having/had an air cooled

#59 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

All gen 1 997 and 996 can incur mahooosive costs. The RMS and IMS issues on a carrera are small costs compared to the potential issues on a turbo. Turbos can need rebuilding, radiators can rust/leak, the 4wd system can whine, brakes are huge money and PASM can go on the fritz. I once bought a boxster s from a guy with a turbo. When he got it the receipts showed the front rads had been replaced at a cost of almost 12k from an OPC. Read up on Mole on SELOC, he bought a nice car with warranty etc and in the last 18 months has spent £15k on it (£5k on upgrades admittedly). Eyes wide open!

And the other side of this is I have friend who paid £25k for a 55000 miles turbo coupe and has spent nothing on it in a year. You couldnt buy that car now for £28k. Regarding expenditure buying a 911 turbo is no worse than buying a DB9, Vantage, Maserati Spider/GranTurismo, Jag XKR/F type, M5/M6. All have the potential for a massive spend but it doesnt have to be that way if you buy right. I always think the secret is that if you can only afford the cheapest ones on the market then dont buy one because it wont be cheap.

He still has this car. Now worth around £38k

#60 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Edited by fiveoclock, 07 September 2017 - 08:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users