• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#1 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

So, I buy a std 2.2 from my brother early this year. Drive it....fun car, just no real excitement on the loud pedal. Decide instantly to carry out a 'stg 2' conversion. I fitted this and tested on our rollers and achieved a nice 255bhp. Enjoyed the car for the 1000odd miles it lasted before the cam chain failed.....no ones fault but my own as I new it was noisey but had no time to fix it due to work load. The car then sat in the garage for several weeks, and to be honest I thought it would stay there all summer!!! In the end I decided I don't have time to fix it so I'd ask Lee if he could spare sometime to carry out the repair, he kindly offered to help so I got the car loaded and down to him last week. The plan was to simply replace the cylinder head and fit new chains etc. Since then I've changed the plans somewhat and between myself lee and Vocky we will be assembly the following spec...... -Darton sleeved B207 block bored out to 89mm -Custom one of JE 89mm Pistons -Supertech +0.5m oversized valves -Supertech double valve springs -Supertech titanium retainers -Supertech valve collets -ATI under driven crank pulley -Vocky porter cylinder head -Aquamist system injecting MW50(50%water 50%methanol) pre and post charger -Stage 3 comp cams -lightened flywheel -paddle clutch -Full assembly balanced -Cometic head gasket -Eagle H beam conrods -ARP head studs -Siemans 875cc injectors -Upgraded fuel pump(spec not chosen yet) -Full 3" tullet system no cat(already fitted) -Dutch softeare(already fitted) -HARROP 1900 - still slightly dependant on OTTP for this. The harrop is still up in the air, I've order and paid for a 1320 direct from Harrop but they are on a 4 week lead time so I started talking to OTTP in the states about the 1900 kit they offer....unfortunately they are out of stock as well!!! The 1900 kit has to be brought through OTTP in the states so I've asked very kindly if I can buy it from them and ship direct from Aus to the uk to speed things up. I'm keen to test the 1900 and think it will suit the spec of engine well so in keen to go down this road. It's a bit of a waiting game for the next few weeks waiting for everything to arrive. All parts are order pretty much apart from the paddle clutch and upgraded fuel system, mainly because I've not decided on the spec. My target is to have the car up and running in 6-8 weeks so I don't miss the summer with it!

#2 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

Sounds pretty immense!

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:09 AM

Nice spec list What kind of costs does this spec command? DG

#4 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

Great stuff!

Don't forget suspension/dampers/brakes etc etc. you'll need it. Sounds like a great project.

#5 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Er.....I'm not adding it up its scary!!!! I've basically just brought everything in pretty much one go and refuse to look at the bank balance for a god few months!!!

#6 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

Great stuff!   Don't forget suspension/dampers/brakes etc etc. you'll need it. Sounds like a great project.

Couldn't agree more, I have Intrax suspension fitted but certainly my brakes, bushes and geo will all need a look at soon. This year it will mainly be used on the road so not to much panic but I do plan to use more on the track next year.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Awesome.

#8 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

Great stuff!   Don't forget suspension/dampers/brakes etc etc. you'll need it. Sounds like a great project.

Couldn't agree more, I have Intrax suspension fitted but certainly my brakes, bushes and geo will all need a look at soon. This year it will mainly be used on the road so not to much panic but I do plan to use more on the track next year.

I'm sure it'll be a monster on track. Probably a tad OTT for the road (just my opinion) 

#9 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Er.....I'm not adding it up its scary!!!! I've basically just brought everything in pretty much one go and refuse to look at the bank balance for a god few months!!!

what you can't see can't hurt you! Talking to those two it's your own fault for getting where you are :D I'm sure a lot of "man maths" was used. It'll be interesting to see how the stage 3 cams turn out. reckon you'll want to fit all the bits you can to get higher rev limit as possible (which you seem to have done). Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

#10 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Some advice for my fellow vx220 owners .... don't fit pattern chain kits or bodge the chains :beat:

You can see by the dents in the piston tops that the engine had suffered 12 bent valves, I am quite impressed by this achievement :lol:

Posted Image

The original chain and heavily worn crank sprocket, it was only 14 years old :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Some kind person had seen fit to replace the balancer chain tensioner and guide with some 'superb quality' pattern parts, the tensioner has failed and the bolt would not even come out of the guide :ffs:

Can you spot which parts are 14 years old, which are cheap crap and of course their lovely splodge effort on the gasket :beat:

Posted Image

The dipstick tube also decided to snap off inside the sump, lovely :glare:

Edited by vocky, 07 May 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#11 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'll just point out none of the above was done by me lol, I hope you can all tell by this build that I like to do things properly! Thanks for the pics Vocky

#12 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

That spec sounds awesome! Ive pestering Vocky a few times for info on getting my car to a similar spec. Im sure next time I ask, he'll tell me to p*ss off and speak to you now! :P Looking foarwrd to seeing what sort of torque figures your new setup will produce, and if I can scrape together the necessary coin to make it happen.

#13 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

That spec sounds awesome! Ive pestering Vocky a few times for info on getting my car to a similar spec. Im sure next time I ask, he'll tell me to p*ss off and speak to you now! :P Looking foarwrd to seeing what sort of torque figures your new setup will produce, and if I can scrape together the necessary coin to make it happen.

At the end of it.....after a few months have past for me to get over it i may add it all up so people can get a rough idea of what a setup like this will cost them. Certainly not doing it now else i may stop the build  :wacko:

#14 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

At the end of it.....after a few months have past for me to get over it i may add it all up so people can get a rough idea of what a setup like this will cost them. Certainly not doing it now else i may stop the build  :wacko:

Thats always the best way :P And round down... always round down... ;)

#15 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Yea, an honest and true account of how much a build costs is always a helpful eye opener to other people considering going down the same route.

With the bigger Harrop and good charge cooling, hopefully you will join the "400+ club" ?!

#16 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

I assume you're using the 2.2 crank to get 2350cc and keep some rev capability?

We're doing something similar, but with an 88mm Gen3 sandcast block to get 2300cc. Keeping the Harrop 1320 though, as that should be enough for 400+ HP, but will be interesting to see how that big 1900cc SC behaves.

#17 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

This build has got to be funniest ever it started I will just put new head on after chains let go , then we'll maybe lets do rods and Pistons ermm ans valves springs and now it's gone mental lol . Rich has got the bug , lol I might be to blame after I took him out in mine it's sort of evolved 😂

#18 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

is there a gasket set for 89mm and is the cylinder squish okay?

#20 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

This build has got to be funniest ever it started I will just put new head on after chains let go , then we'll maybe lets do rods and Pistons ermm ans valves springs and now it's gone mental lol . Rich has got the bug , lol I might be to blame after I took him out in mine it's sort of evolved 😂

Lee all the blame is on you I'm afraid!!! Remaining stg 2 after going out in yours just wasn't going to happen lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users