Turbo Cruise Control

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Just fitted cruise control today, I know there will be haters! I know it's not really the VX way, but I suffer with sciatica and holding the accelerator at a constant for more than a few mins on motorways and longer journeys gets uncomfortable for me. So total cost for the job was £15 (for a new stalk), plus several hours of the usual stripping of skin, loosing of knuckles, swearing, blaming the missis for the cable being stuck in the sill etc.

#2 h8ten

h8ten

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Interests:Motoring, 3 cars
    Biking, 1 bike
    PC, 1 big yin an' 1 wee yin.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

I've often thought about this for when I have to use the 220 on the motorway.  I know for the Zafira it is just the stalk, a clutch switch and tell the ECU that it now has cruise control.  What did you do?

#3 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

I've often thought about this for when I have to use the 220 on the motorway.  I know for the Zafira it is just the stalk, a clutch switch and tell the ECU that it now has cruise control.  What did you do?

Bascaly that! Fit the new stalk, wire in a +12v ACC supply from the switch, then run 3 core cable from the stalk to the ECU ( I added 3 pins to the ecu plug). Then I just added cruise in the variant configuration using op-com. Not really too bad to do once you have the cable through

#4 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Great addition for £15 what's not to like 👍 DG

#5 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

Id bloody love cruise.... Can this be done on the 2.2?

#6 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

Not sure if it's quite as simple to do on the 2.2 unfortunately. I think there is an issue programming the ecu, someone else on here will know I'm sure.

#7 Notalotus

Notalotus

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

There was a thread on this subject some years back, but there was no final conclusion as to which were the connections to make. I also wasn't sure which plug on the ecu was A and which was B. I have the stalk already fitted and some multi core signal cable to run to the ecu. Can you post details of what you connected where?

#8 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

Nice job, would be good to have a write of how it's done. 

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

Did you have to wire in through clutch switch?

#10 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

On the turbo it was pins 9,41 and 58. You just need to add 3 pins to connector X31 (the plug on the right of the ECU if you could look straight at it). So you just need to run the 3 core cable from the stalk buttons (these are labelled up A,B,C and D) to these pins as follows:

Stalk A - ECU A58

Stalk B - 12v Feed (I used the 12v feed on the same stalk with a small 3.5A fuse in line)

Stalk C - ECU A41

Stalk D - ECU A9

Then it just needs activation and you should be good to go.

#11 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

Did you have to wire in through clutch switch?

Clutch switch on the turbo is already wired in so nothing to do there luckily. I guess the switch would need adding for the N/A?

Edited by ayresyy, 31 May 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

I thought the clutch switch cut the feed to the stalk?

#13 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

This has been a desirable for years.  Last time I recall looking, the collective opinion was that it was not possible.  Well done that man thumbsup

Can you now turn your hand to the other two desirables, AC and more luggage space?

From my experience of other CCs, Steve, the absence of a clutch switch merely means the CC does not disengage when the clutch is depressed?

#14 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Looking at the wiring diagram, that is how it seems. Different positions of cc switch have different resistance on that wire to ecu.

#15 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

I thought the clutch switch cut the feed to the stalk?

The clutch switch just feeds directly into the ECU as far as I can tell, so I believe it operates separately to the cruise signal. Dropping the clutch does still cancel the cruise as normal though.

From what I have seen the stalk only sends a short activation, resume or cancel 12v+ signal into one of the 3 ECU pins while you press the buttons, it's not latching. I connected op-com and selected Astra instead of VX220, if you do this you can see and test the 3 cruise switch functions in the ECU.

#16 Notalotus

Notalotus

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Ah, the right hand plug. On mine it has a security block that prevents the locking lever from being opened. That's where my attempts halted. Now knowing that is the correct plug I'll remove it. Could you do the ecu turn on bit for me, I'm near Huntingdon, only a short blast from you?

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

yep, drill out the security bolt to free the right hand plug

#18 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:F1, Diving and cycling.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Who has op com that can do this as a service? Seems like a top simple mod. Was it just a zafira cruise control switch that you got?

#19 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

Ah, the right hand plug. On mine it has a security block that prevents the locking lever from being opened. That's where my attempts halted. Now knowing that is the correct plug I'll remove it. Could you do the ecu turn on bit for me, I'm near Huntingdon, only a short blast from you?

I can program it for you once you are ready yes. I'm in Turves so maybe a more interesting drive for you and still not far. Just send me a PM.

#20 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

For anyone that's interested, this stalk fits perfectly. https://www.ebay.co....tm/170891512695 Now less than £13 delivered.

Edited by ayresyy, 31 May 2016 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users