Zenos E10 - Any Thoughts ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

Wow, he sold it for 43k ! I'm not surprised after his successes. When I looked at the 2012 class results, he came first in all 16 of his races in that year, in 2015 he won almost all of whatever class he was in too, I guess this year someone else is winning. I see his car is being sold on again for even more this time!

I'm not sure where you get the info on the 1m 01s lap being in an MC3, as the video clearly says it is Tim Gray in a Spire GT3 at the start of it.

There are about 4 different classes for the BEC cars, I guess the one you displayed the stats on is not well represented with GT3s.

Either way, that CC lap record video in  a GT3 is stunning IMO. Certainly a bit faster than a Zenos E10 !

Edited by Nev, 30 June 2016 - 01:52 PM.

#22 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

I raced against one at Silverstone that was built by the factory as a race car and was supported at the event by the factory. In lap 2 it expired in a cloud of steam and plss. 

That's more to do with Ford's EcoBoost than the quality of the Zenos chassis design.  
No it isnt. The engine was fine. It suggests it wasnt put together right. Thats a reflection on the build quality. It was driven by an experienced driver from the Caterham world who has had wins. In qualifying it was beaten by, amongst others, a Saxo, 2 E36 BMW's and a Fiesta and finished last in its class. It was also only .8 of a second in front of a VX with vastly inferior power on a power circuit. This suggests either a chassis problem or a set up problem, all a reflection, again, on the factory  
So explain where the steam came from if the engine isn't at fault?  
  I would imagine the steam most likely came from any number of joiners/pipes/radiators connecting the engine to the rest of the car's water sub-systems.   It's fairly rare for an engine to start squirting water out of it when you think about it (with the exception of water pumps), its usually some other external part that fails.    
  My point was that there are a lot of suppliers involved in any car production and Zenos is no different. Condemning a car for a coolant failure is pretty short sighted as it could have been a very simple fix or a 3rd party supplier.   I'm sure Lotus had plenty of development mules that expired when they developed the Elise too. The fact that they're out running cars and seeing how competitive they are is good news, it will only lead to a better car in the long run.
They had plenty of opportunity to test it on test days. This wasn't a test mule it was a factory built and prepped race car. They chose this race because we supported GT Cup and there would be a lot of exposure. To ensure that it performed well shouldn't have been hard for an organisation with their facilities. There's cars in that race built by Fred in a shed that banged round for 45 minutes at a greater pace than the Zenos did and have done in past races. And if it was a simple fix it shouldn't have happened in tbe first place.

Edited by fiveoclock, 30 June 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#23 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

They had plenty of opportunity to test it on test days. This wasn't a test mule it was a factory built and prepped race car. They chose this race because we supported GT Cup and there would be a lot of exposure. To ensure that it performed well shouldn't have been hard for an organisation with their facilities. There's cars in that race built by Fred in a shed that banged round for 45 minutes at a greater pace than the Zenos did and have done in past races. And if it was a simple fix it shouldn't have happened in tbe first place.

Bizarrely harsh stance here Mark. You of all people should know that failures occur in races. You identify the problem, fix it, and continue. This is how you improve a car.

As far as facilities; they didn't start with much - http://www.pistonhea...ull-story/28402 I don't know where they are now, but I certainly wouldn't sh*t over them trying to get a lightweight car into production.

#24 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

I'm not sure where you get the info on the 1m 01s lap being in an MC3, as the video clearly says it is Tim Gray in a Spire GT3 at the start of it.

Either way, that CC lap record video in  a GT3 is stunning IMO. Certainly a bit faster than a Zenos E10 !

Sorry Nev perhaps I wasn't clear, the 1:01 video was in a £45K car not a £20K one.

The Second video you posted is an MC3.

You are right the CC lap is stunning regardless of car cost.

Edited by SteveA, 30 June 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#25 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

Sorry Nev perhaps I wasn't clear, the 1:01 video was in a £45K car not a £20K one.

The Second video you posted is an MC3.

You are right the CC lap is stunning regardless of car cost.

I had no idea it was sold for 45k until you posted that up, as mostly they sell for around 12k to 20k, but I guess as Tim had obliterated everything else in his class in 2015 (28 wins out of 30 apparently), he took advantage and got a well deserved extra 25k for it !

Clearly he is an exceptional driver.

The second video I made a mistake I think, Oli Hewit used to own a Spire GT3, but joined a new team this year and had to switch cars so they all ran the same car.

Incidentally, I had a good snoop around a de-clammed Sabre Supersport 1000 the other day, looks techincally good, but there are only few of them built and they don't seem to have much success in the races so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nev, 30 June 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#26 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Just been having a look Nev and the Car that does the 1:01 for £45k and the ones that sell for sub £20k are very different cars. The vid car is a single seater and the body work is completely different to the sub 20Kers. These pics really show the differences;

Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Bizarrely harsh stance here Mark. You of all people should know that failures occur in races. You identify the problem, fix it, and continue. This is how you improve a car.

As far as facilities; they didn't start with much - http://www.pistonhea...ull-story/28402 I don't know where they are now, but I certainly wouldn't sh*t over them trying to get a lightweight car into production.

I dont think its harsh at all let alone bizarrely harsh. IMO for a factory to enter a car built as a race car in a race and for it not to last two laps suggests somethings not been done right and that doesnt shed a good light on the prep.Having failures, identifying them, fixing them and continuing is not how you would expect a factory prepared car to perform in a race. In testing yes but not in a race. I'm not shitting over them trying to get a car into production, its already in production and being sold.

The test will be if it appears in any other races, so far it hasnt.

#28 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

I dont think its harsh at all let alone bizarrely harsh. IMO for a factory to enter a car built as a race car in a race and for it not to last two laps suggests somethings not been done right and that doesnt shed a good light on the prep.Having failures, identifying them, fixing them and continuing is not how you would expect a factory prepared car to perform in a race. In testing yes but not in a race. I'm not shitting over them trying to get a car into production, its already in production and being sold.

The test will be if it appears in any other races, so far it hasnt.

#29 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Just been having a look Nev and the Car that does the 1:01 for £45k and the ones that sell for sub £20k are very different cars. The vid car is a single seater and the body work is completely different to the sub 20Kers. These pics really show the differences;

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yep, the cage and body panels has been modified. It's still a GT3 though.

#30 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

There's a dude up here has one, it's pretty smart but think he's had a few teething problems with it. Quite a few of the Elise guys give him a ripping tho, say it looks like a mini moke...

#31 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

Had a poke round one recently,a low rent looking thing,I would far rather have a decent vx

#32 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

Ali, I wonder if that's the guy I met on the LOT French Frolic last year. He'd not had it long but was pretty much unimpressed with it. Said he was regretting selling his Lotus and buying it. Driving it on the road from Scotland to the South of France may also have something to do with his comments though!

Edited by PaulCP, 07 July 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#33 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ali, I wonder if that's the guy I met on the LOT French Frolic last year. He'd not had it long but was pretty much unimpressed with it. Said he was regretting selling his Lotus and buying it. Driving it on the road from Scotland to the South of France may also have something to do with his comments though!

aye that'll be him, dude called Kenny

#34 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Ali, you may have wondered who was gesticulating at you last Sunday morning on the road between Callander & Stirling since we were in a normal car. Was Sue & me on our way back home after 2 weeks in the bonnie land

#35 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

Ali, you may have wondered who was gesticulating at you last Sunday morning on the road between Callander & Stirling since we were in a normal car. Was Sue & me on our way back home after 2 weeks in the bonnie land

sorry I missed the gesticulations...many people gesticulate round about here, not always in the such a welcoming manner :lol:

#36 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Zenos in administration according to seloc.

#37 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

Very sad news.

#38 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Was reading this yesterday! Sad times. I've spoken to them a few times and said if they made a targa with some boot space i'd buy one. They always said it was going to happen so sad to see this is the case! I guess i'll never buy one now as it abit rubbish for a road car. 

#39 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Shame

#40 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:59 PM