Traction Control Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

I gathered the racelogic used to be the solution of choice but it seems it is discontinued? What alternatives exist today? Considering a VXT with mods but would love traction control. Seems a bloke here in sweden is running haltech ecu with traction control set up but rather expensive alternative. The upside of standalone ecu is also being able to run several maps. I'd love to buy a modded car say a stage 4 but start with a bit less boost to learn to drive it properly. But for Swedish Mot each year ideally I would need to switch back to to the oem ecu so the best I guess would be either something like the race logic or an ecu that has basically plug and play loom so it can be easily swapped and with traction control support. Does such a unicorn exist?

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

tbh I have never had a situation where I would want different maps , provided the map you have gives excellent driveability and response for any throttle demand. too many of the maps out there are only adjusted for the highest load cell and full wide open throttle, mainly because the VX220 turbo maps was derived from the Zafira GSI and was intended to be able to tow a caravan and run aircon and powersteering loads. for me I wanted 50% throttle to give 50% throughout the rev range and compensate for engine losses, that was how I programmed the pedal demand map, its just one of the small bits of what I collectively RaceMode to give full control to the driver without any filtering or smoothing.  

this is not to say there is no need for traction control , but you will probably be amazed at the difference.

#3 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi, think there are words missing? And what is race mode? Enlighten me as I am new to the vx world :)

Edited by glitch, 08 July 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#4 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

The only traction control you need in a VX is in your feet.

#5 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

:yeahthat:

#6 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

:yeahthat:

what I said?

#7 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

http://www.racingfor...93&st=0&start=0

#8 B1RMA

B1RMA

• Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Buying and selling shares large scale, collecting watches and pens, Fender Custom Shop Guitar buyer/seller

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

I've managed to buy a secondhand Racelogic and they do come up for sale now and then. I'm still in the process of getting it fitted along with a 4 channel ABS module, I know some people don't think they're worth having but I always say it's better to have and no need than to need and no have. And if you are thrashing a 250 BHP car worth about £16K it seems to be worthwhile investment in my book.

#9 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

I've managed to buy a secondhand Racelogic and they do come up for sale now and then. I'm still in the process of getting it fitted along with a 4 channel ABS module, I know some people don't think they're worth having but I always say it's better to have and no need than to need and no have. And if you are thrashing a 250 BHP car worth about £16K it seems to be worthwhile investment in my book.

Don't blame you and great reason to.

I love traction control when driving the Cayman as it makes you look like a hero on the track however on anything front wheel drive, I have to switch it off.

Never ran ABS or traction on the VX and at 350 BHP it was a handful and no doubt traction would have made me quicker at some circuits but driving that car with no driver aids really did focus the attention and teach me to be a better driver.

#10 B1RMA

B1RMA

• Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Buying and selling shares large scale, collecting watches and pens, Fender Custom Shop Guitar buyer/seller

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Don't blame you and great reason to.

I love traction control when driving the Cayman as it makes you look like a hero on the track however on anything front wheel drive, I have to switch it off.

Never ran ABS or traction on the VX and at 350 BHP it was a handful and no doubt traction would have made me quicker at some circuits but driving that car with no driver aids really did focus the attention and teach me to be a better driver.

And ultimately I can always turn it off after the learning phase if I want to.

Edited by B1RMA, 14 July 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Really?

Just think how many VXs would have been saved from the scrap yard with it. Not everyone is concentrating at 100% abilty 100% of the time in order to catch the back end (assuming they even have the ability to do that).

There is a very good reason why TC is added by manufacturers to most powerful cars these days. It saves lots of crashes and quite a few lives I expect.

If you chose to switch it off that is fine if you so desire, however you will be faster and safer on a track or road with it on in most of the time. There are probably a few exceptions to this on track, but its for the minority of time for the minority of drivers.

Edited by Nev, 14 July 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

well people turn off the ABS , but its not as if you then have four brake pedals to get the same level of control the ABS has.

#13 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

Things like ABS, TC etc etc have been deliberately and specifically engineered to make driving safer/easier. And lets face facts, the vehicles ARE a lot safer as a result most of the time. QED.

Abeit ABS doesn't seem to work for many VXes for various reasons, but in mine thankfully it does work well and has saved my bacon a couple of occasions. TC would have saved me quite a few times this year alone where the back end has got far too lively at moments I wasn't concentrating 100%.

Edited by Nev, 14 July 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#14 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

I think its more the blanket, and blindly followed stupidity of people simply saying "well the ABS is sh*t, so I'll turn it off" as opposed to ensure everything is working as it should be then look to the ABS as the last resort (or upgrade to 4channel)

#15 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

My RL traction control has save me and my car from being written off at least twice.

I'd say that unless it's a track only car, it's the best mod you can do to a VX.

#16 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

I think its more the blanket, and blindly followed stupidity of people simply saying "well the ABS is sh*t, so I'll turn it off" as opposed to ensure everything is working as it should be then look to the ABS as the last resort (or upgrade to 4channel)

Indeed, I expect many owners ABS doesn't work simply because they have changed the front to rear rotating circumference delta (due to them changing wheel + tyres sizes). All they need to do is have some common sense when selecting wheels and tyres and hey presto, their accident saving ABS works again !

I myself had the dreaded "hard pedal" brake thing on many occasions when I first bought my VX. Once I changed wheels and tyres about 5 years ago (with about 1% rolling difference between front and rear), my ABS worked really well ever since.

Edited by Nev, 14 July 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#17 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Mike is in that minority :rallly:

#18 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

Nev cant agree on the ABS.

When at pembry I had Standard wheels and rubber and was getting hard pedal and early ABS kick in, it was a super hot day, actually was a really good national, what year was that? 2013? I digress. 

I unplugged my front N/S sensor and I had consistent hard braking with good pedal feel and no locking up, I could brake harder and later.

TC? erm I cant say I have ever needed it in the VX on track or road, just drive to the conditions. the VX is not a hard car to drive, if your pushing on and not 100% concentration you should not be pushing.. maybe I don't push my car hard enough. I don't know.

What I do know is its pissing me off in the mokka

#19 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

Surely there must be other decent manufacturers that offer stand alone TC, other than RaceLogic ?

#20 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Nev cant agree on the ABS.

When at pembry I had Standard wheels and rubber and was getting hard pedal and early ABS kick in, it was a super hot day, actually was a really good national, what year was that? 2013? I digress. 

I unplugged my front N/S sensor and I had consistent hard braking with good pedal feel and no locking up, I could brake harder and later.

I think (just from reading around) that some VXs have ABS issues that are undecipherable, and I have no idea why this might be the case (other than the rotating circumference issue). However, if you can get it any ABS work well in a car, it can be a genuine accident + life saver. It's just on the VX it seems to be a fickle thing, partly due to tyre/wheel size issue and partly some other strange issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users