Traction Control Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

100 Pounds for the installation is a great deal. I have one of these units in my car and installed it myself. Much better if somebody else does it for you, especially if that's the person who designed the electronics to begin with. If you do it in a group, you can also buy cables and connectors and figure out where best to put things. I did not have time to test it yet, as I just began to run in the engine and did not want to be bothered with yet another system to deal with. But just having something in your car with 'RaceTCS' on it is worth the trouble :happy:  And Jacek (Piwo) is a great guy to deal with. Very responsive in case you have any questions.

There's a pot meter and a LED that need to go somewhere you can reach/see them. Optionally you can mount a clutch switch. I put everything on the left side (the right side for you) of the steering wheel next to the ABS switch, the OBDTuner map switch and the Rotrex oil temperature indicator. Lots of room there for gadgets :happy:

#42 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

i was being charged 400 just to fit a racelogic unit, so 100 is very reasonable for a install charge.

#43 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

Exactly. I started a post in the group buy section. 👍

#44 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,869 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

Just read the website, does the abs need to be functioning ( ie not disconnected at the wheel) for this TCS system to work, does anyone know? I usually run with my abs disconnected

#45 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

How would it read wheel speed if it's disconnected? Perhaps have a switch at the abs module in the same wire.

#46 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

I already asked the same question. Apparently as long as the sensors are still there then it is fine.

He knew all about ice mode and recognised that most of all have an ABS cut off.

Feel feee to contact them. They have been very helpful and responsive.

Jon

#47 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,869 posts
    and now bees

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

I already asked the same question. Apparently as long as the sensors are still there then it is fine.

He knew all about ice mode and recognised that most of all have an ABS cut off.

Feel feee to contact them. They have been very helpful and responsive.

Jon

Good enough for me Jon, thanks!

#48 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,869 posts
    and now bees

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

How would it read wheel speed if it's disconnected? Perhaps have a switch at the abs module in the same wire.

Mines disconnected at the front, so perhaps he reads the rear wheels ?

#49 RaceTCS

RaceTCS

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Hello

I wanted to answer a few questions, and until now i haven't been contributing to the forum. 

As for ABS sensor connections, ABS pump is not even required to run RaceTCS. VR sensors (Variable Reluctance) is just a coil on magnet, it will generate voltage (sinusoide) when trigger teeth start moving (wheel rotates). The faster the wheel rotates, the bigger the voltage and frequency. This is why there is some minimum speed required (usually 20km/h) to have a reliable wheel speed reading, below that speed RaceTCS only limits RPM. All of this is described in the manual on the website.

VR sensor has 2 wires, one is grounded in ABS unit, the other is HOT and this one interests us :). So if you have disconnected sensor from ABS pump completely, then it has to be grounded on 1 wire (preferrably in RaceTCS) and the other wire goes as wheel speed input on RaceTCS.

Piwo is a friend of mine, who owns Opel Speedster. Most information about VX220 i know comes from him. There are 3 or 4 VX220 in Poland already running RaceTCS.  I will try to answer technical questions. Feel free to ask or pm me. 

Jacek

#50 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:03 AM

Thanks Jacek,

And welcome to the VX220 forum!

Jon

#51 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:03 AM

Hopefully you have seen the group buy thread on this topic Jacek?

#52 RaceTCS

RaceTCS

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:36 AM

Hopefully you have seen the group buy thread on this topic Jacek?

Yes i did :). I will not interfere in that topic, i would like to only address technical questions if they arise and leave the discussions unbiased.

#53 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,869 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

Hello

I wanted to answer a few questions, and until now i haven't been contributing to the forum.
As for ABS sensor connections, ABS pump is not even required to run RaceTCS. VR sensors (Variable Reluctance) is just a coil on magnet, it will generate voltage (sinusoide) when trigger teeth start moving (wheel rotates). The faster the wheel rotates, the bigger the voltage and frequency. This is why there is some minimum speed required (usually 20km/h) to have a reliable wheel speed reading, below that speed RaceTCS only limits RPM. All of this is described in the manual on the website.
VR sensor has 2 wires, one is grounded in ABS unit, the other is HOT and this one interests us :). So if you have disconnected sensor from ABS pump completely, then it has to be grounded on 1 wire (preferrably in RaceTCS) and the other wire goes as wheel speed input on RaceTCS.

Piwo is a friend of mine, who owns Opel Speedster. Most information about VX220 i know comes from him. There are 3 or 4 VX220 in Poland already running RaceTCS. I will try to answer technical questions. Feel free to ask or pm me.

Jacek

Hi jackec, so do you need all 4 wheel abs wires at the pump or just the rears?

#54 RaceTCS

RaceTCS

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

Hello

Piwo is a friend of mine, who owns Opel Speedster. Most information about VX220 i know comes from him. There are 3 or 4 VX220 in Poland already running RaceTCS. I will try to answer technical questions. Feel free to ask or pm me.

Jacek

Hi jackec, so do you need all 4 wheel abs wires at the pump or just the rears?

Hi

Forget about the pump, you can throw it away :). You need 4 wheel speed sensors for RaceTCS to work. If you do not have stock ABS pump or sensors are disconnected , then wiring sensors is a bit more tricky, as you need to have 2 wires per sensor connected to RaceTCS instead of 1 wire. Just to reassure you - ABS pump is not required at all, just 4 wheel speed sensors. 

In Racelogic TCS manual they described how you can add your own sensors  and ABS pump was not needed. Connection-wise RaceTCS is exactly the same as Racelogic.

Jacek

Edited by RaceTCS, 17 August 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#55 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,869 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for that jacek,I disconnect my abs at the front wheel so will need to reconnect it for the TCS to pick up the signals at the pump, I'll review how I immobilise the abs.

#56 RaceTCS

RaceTCS

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for that jacek,I disconnect my abs at the front wheel so will need to reconnect it for the TCS to pick up the signals at the pump, I'll review how I immobilise the abs.

Or we just connect front speed sensors directly to RaceTCS. ABS will stay happy without  sensors connected (happy = ABS has nothing to do, since it is inactive) :).

#57 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

The standard switch that people put in would be the wise move

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users