Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Cheers guys, ill make a little plate up then to tidy things up thumbsup

#42 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

Fitting the manifold support bracket the other day and the bolts wont do all the way up. Fully tightened they leave about 5-8mm of bolt showing meaning the bracket has a bit of play along that axis.

The bracket would obviously resist any vertical stresses placed upon it still. Is this normal or do I need to find some shorter bolts?

#43 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

You'll want shorter bolts. Don't force these bolts as it's a blind thread and will probably just strip the thread

#44 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

I'm looking forward to this being finished and having a pax ride in it. Maybe a drag race, would be interesting to see how much faster soup is over my musical engine.

Quite a lot! At least you won't be able to hear him disappear over the horizon.

I don't think anybody will be able to hear anything over the supercharger and a VSE that I have fitted. Its going to be a bit loud I think.

Good to see you again yesterday Gaffer, will definitely drive it over for a pax ride once its all done. Lovely sound from the itb's on yours.  

FYI Its horrendously loud.  Fun and imho matches the character of the VX but it is hard work with a charged VSE especially on a long journey.  Not track friendly either.  I have a load of videos when mine was being mapped at Courtenays.  The noise is insane  :groupjump:

#45 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

You'll want shorter bolts. Don't force these bolts as it's a blind thread and will probably just strip the thread

Bugger that means I have to take the manifold back off. The manifold to head gasket is reusable I hope?

#46 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

I'm looking forward to this being finished and having a pax ride in it. Maybe a drag race, would be interesting to see how much faster soup is over my musical engine.

Quite a lot! At least you won't be able to hear him disappear over the horizon.  
  I don't think anybody will be able to hear anything over the supercharger and a VSE that I have fitted. Its going to be a bit loud I think.   Good to see you again yesterday Gaffer, will definitely drive it over for a pax ride once its all done. Lovely sound from the itb's on yours.    
  FYI Its horrendously loud.  Fun and imho matches the character of the VX but it is hard work with a charged VSE especially on a long journey.  Not track friendly either.  I have a load of videos when mine was being mapped at Courtenays.  The noise is insane  :groupjump:
It's only a weekend car for blasting the best roads. If it's ridiculously loud I may end up changing the back box. At least people will hear me coming!!

#47 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Got a few more bits done the other day.

1. cc pipes have been run down the pax sill

2. Dash removed and Fez heater now installed

3. Intake manifold and modified alternator fitted. Alternator was a right pita to get in place.

I put the supercharger on without the gasket just to have a look at what it'll look like :)

Then realised id forgotten to put the bolt through the manifold support bracket so i'll have to take the alternator off again to get to it :angry:

Posted Image

I made a card template up first and then transferred this to the radiator surround to make sure I got the holes lined up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up is to decide how I'm going to mount the cc pump, make up a bracket for the dipstick and fabricate a belt guard to protect the fuel lines.

#48 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

You will get there :)

#49 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

Got to the bolt for the manifold support bracket from underneath so didn't have to take off the alternator 😃

#50 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

You will get there :)

Cheers mate, today I've cut the water pipes to fit and plumbed them in. Supercharger and belt fitted. Injectors and fuel rail on. Made up a bracket for the dipstick. It's really coming together now. Hopefully start it up next weekend.

#51 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

How did you get the pipes through the foam in the sills?

#52 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Pushed a length of 15mm plastic water pipe down the sill. Don't think I made a hole. Think the foam just broke and the pipe went underneath it. Took the pax sill cover of and reached in and got a hold of the pipe from there.

#53 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Pushed a length of 15mm plastic water pipe down the sill. Don't think I made a hole. Think the foam just broke and the pipe went underneath it. Took the pax sill cover of and reached in and got a hold of the pipe from there.

Cheers bud!

#54 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

Cheers bud!
No probs, also I cut away a bit of material from around the hole once the sill cover was removed so I could get my hand through the hole. Then I gaffer taped the end of the plastic pipe to the water hose and pulled it through to the rear of the car.

#55 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Then I gaffer taped the end of the plastic pipe to the water hose and pulled it through to the rear of the car.

Glad to know I could be of help :P

#56 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

Then I gaffer taped the end of the plastic pipe to the water hose and pulled it through to the rear of the car.

Glad to know I could be of help :P

thumbsup ready for that pax ride soon  

#57 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

Got a few little bits done on the car today.

Couldn't find grommets that would fit the thickness of the fibreglass for the cc hoses so modified some I had using my trusty dremmel. Increased the thickness of the slot to around 2.5mm and they now fit a treat.

Posted Image

Next up I had to find somewhere to mount the pump for the cc rad. Couldn't use the old airbox bracket as my ecu bracket will be mounted there so I made up a bracket that connects to the other airbox bracket right by the engine mount. Edged it in 4mm vacuum hose so that the edges don't rub any other hose or wire.

Posted Image

Pump is isolated from the car by thick foam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cc circuit is completely plumbed in now and ready to go. Just making up a belt guard and waiting for my ecu back and it'll be time to press the button and see what happens. I also need to extend the brake vacuum hose to reach the outlet on the supercharger. Cant seem to find any 10.5mm id hose so ill use 10mm instead. Hopefully next weekend it'll be ready to fire :D

#58 phippsy

phippsy

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

By the way do people run the belt on the inside ribs or the outside ribs of the supercharger pulley?

#59 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

I did inside.

Of course if it squeels try the outside one :happy:

#60 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts