help starter relay electrics

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Have you shorted the cable from the alternator onto the intake manifold (only applies if it's a sc)

As a test or as a reason for the problem?  It's an S/C yes..

When you tried jumping the car with a spare battery and jump leads did you get polarity correct ?? A broken starter motor normally throws up all kinds of strange things

Oh yes.  Polarity was correct.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm in London working all week but will have another look at the weekend.

Meantime - sorry if this is a dumb question, but when we hooked up the battery direct the smoke from the engine bay (as soon as the terminals were connected) seemed to be coming from the alternator.  So, if that's causing the problem, is it worth me simply disconnecting it and trying again?

The alternator is directly connected to the thick +12v feed coble from/to the starter motor, so if you have a short there it will affect the starter...

Ok, I'll make sure I check this at the weekend.  Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm in London working all week but will have another look at the weekend.   Meantime - sorry if this is a dumb question, but when we hooked up the battery direct the smoke from the engine bay (as soon as the terminals were connected) seemed to be coming from the alternator.  So, if that's causing the problem, is it worth me simply disconnecting it and trying again?

we must have pinched a wire there is no reason why it would do that with the batter out the car and then in

Yeah, it's very strange.  The with /without jump leads difference.  Ive bought a new "heavy duty" set of jump leads and will try them at the weekend too...

Thanks everyone.  I'm afraid it's turning into a bit of a saga.. 

Edited by ee601, 12 January 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#82 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Ian, as Stuwy said I would think the smoke from the back end was probably caused by a pinched wire with getting the battery directly connected up front. It never did it previously or after that one singular event.

As Vocky said

"[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]So back to basics - check chassis negative cables at front and rear of car, check positive red cable at battery and starter motor"[/color]

#83 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

And with it being an SC conversion, doublecheck the wire tapped off from the starter to the relay for the charge cooler motor not being exposed or damaged.

Also the alternator + is very close to the manifold ground. Doublecheck they are not touching in any way.

#84 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Same for the main starter wire connection. If that is too high up it can also touch the manifold bottom and creat a big short... (That was Eelco's problem.)

#85 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks chaps. Will look at all these when I can - had some urgent work come in that I had to do over the weekend so it'll be next weekend by the time I can get back in the garage. I'll keep you posted.

#86 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Ok Chaps.

So, I've had a look as suggested, and I can't see anything untoward with my uninformed eyes.  Sorry the pics are bit big..

Front earth looks tidy and clean:

Posted Image

As does the rear earth:

Posted Image

Starter leads don't look like they're fouling the manifold:

Posted Image

Likewise alternator leads look clear of the manifold, but it's tight.  Also no signs of charred wires there either so a mystery where the smoke came from:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is a strange looking connector with a jubilee clip round it near the bulkhead that doesn't look very pretty:

Posted Image

And I have a loose brown wire in the NSR wheel arch now, not sure where to put it back - please tell..?

Posted Image

Does this tell anyone anything?  I'm tempted to hook up the brown wheel arch wire, then give it another go and see if it smokes when hooked up..

Edited by ee601, 21 January 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#87 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

No idea what that bulkhead thing is Is the wire your power supply for the cc pump as you said that isn't working?

#88 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

one other thing to check;

there is a black wiring plug down below the OEM air filter which has four brown wires, this supplies the power to pretty much everything in the engine bay. If these contacts have become corroded then you can get a similar issue.

Thanks Vocky.  You mean in front of the LHR wheel arch - is best access from above or below?  Or arch liner off?

probably easier through the nearside arch, it sits near the chassis between the bulkhead and gearbox side mount

you can get to it from the top if you have long fingers

Vocky, Stuwy - is this likely to be my stray brown wire in the wheel arch d'you think?

I'd like to try and hook it all up and try the current symptoms, so I'm assuming I need this wire connected..?

#89 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

No idea what that bulkhead thing is Is the wire your power supply for the cc pump as you said that isn't working?

You mean my stray brown wire in the wheel arch, yes?

#90 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

You mean my stray brown wire in the wheel arch, yes?

The other end (stray brown wire in wheel arch) goes to the top of the gearbox bolted there joining a large black cable, so I assume it's an earth?

#91 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Ah ok

#92 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

who did the conversion, I have not seen one look like that before :wacko:

That brown wire might be the ecu earth if it's connected to the gearbox, either way do not connect it to the starter motor because it's a negative, not a positive as first thought.

#93 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Ah that thing on the bulkhead looks like a water temp sensor for the cc pipes

#94 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

looking at your photos the chassis cables have been off before, fresh sanding marks in the metal can be seen.

However the rear connection looks like it has had Duralac painted on - not too good for electrical connectivity.

#95 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Looks like a bit off brown wire to me out of some twin and earth,

#96 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

If that's the ecu earth then it explains why it isn't starting :)

#97 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Ok, so here's what I did today:[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]- Front Earth already tight unable to tighten further[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]- Rear earth earth tight but nipped up slightly tighter.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Stray brown wire in rear wheel arch appears to go to gearbox joining a large black cable so I assume that's going to earth maybe. Tried to tighten this connection but it's already tight.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Battery connected to car using jump leads, no smoke, ignition on dash lights look fine and fuel pump primes as normal all seems okay. Press starter button and starter turns but only for one or two times.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Removed and cleaned battery terminals, wire brush, fine grit paper, replaced nuts and washers where possible with new, connected battery.  And...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- CAR STARTED!![/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Could it be that it was just grubby battery connections all along?  And jump leads couldn't make a good enough connection to get full voltage perhaps..?  I don't know if that's likely but seems to be where things are pointing..[/font]

Either way, I'm just glad it's running now.  Now I can get on with the oil vapour investigation, which I think was just an overfill, fitting a new heater motor, and all the other little improvements I was thinking about but have completely forgotten while it's been immobile!

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]All I need to know now is what to do with the stray brown wire in the wheel arch..?  Any thoughts boys?[/font]

#98 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

who did the conversion, I have not seen one look like that before :wacko:

Done by the previous owner, Mantas on here.

See below - IT STARTED!  Dirty battery connectors....maybe..?

Thanks to everyone for all the wisdom and help.   Just need to know where to put that brown wire now..

#99 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

Is there a Earth wire on your ecu ??

#100 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

So if you'd listened to any of my posts. Namely the one an hour after you first asked the question, we wouldn't be here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, starter, relay, electrics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users