55 replies to this topic

#41 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:45 AM

That bowden cable operates a london taxi heater control valve and they're not very reliable.

#42 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

. It still relies on a bowden cable though, I wanted to throw a waterproof servomotor in there instead. No need for me then !   

My heater relied upon a Bowden cable for the first 12 years and the last one.  In between it had a motorised valve.  Stopping at the side of the M25 to investigate the smoke from the bonnet was not a pleasant task.

K.I.S.S.

#43 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

. It still relies on a bowden cable though, I wanted to throw a waterproof servomotor in there instead. No need for me then !   

My heater relied upon a Bowden cable for the first 12 years and the last one.  In between it had a motorised valve.  Stopping at the side of the M25 to investigate the smoke from the bonnet was not a pleasant task.

K.I.S.S.

Depending on the motorised valve technology I can see that happen indeed... What I have in mind is a lever-arm servo system with that type of valve there... in case of short or overvoltage it will just instantly fry itself, I doubt you'll even see the smoke ! Very low power.

#44 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

I'll take whatever's recommended and available.. so.. to the list!

1. Strugs

#45 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

Bowden cable is simple and already in place, can't see the need to change it. I like the look of this heater but only rebuilt mine recently. Would still be tempted if the price is good as my heater was struggling to keep my girlfriend warm enough at 70mph when it was -5 Celsius outside. Gets it warm at urban speeds. Maybe I need to seal my car up better.

#46 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Do you have a picture of your installation?

#47 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

This VX heater actually already exists, I was sent the Cad dwgs before I started. T7Design were already working on a LHD Speedster model based on their Midi-Heater but it was a loooong way off. To get things moving (and selfishly to get me a heater right now) T7 agreed to sell me the midi based prototype, with 3d printed parts and in return I worked out the simplest installation I could, making some small components, testing the results and sending back pictures, measurements and the like. Once the pain of getting the old heater out is over, I'm thinking anyone could fit this in an hour, it is pleasingly precision machined and the components used, like the powerful compact Spal twin fan, are well considered and very efficient IMHO, the temperature knob turns freely with full travel in each direction and most importantly it blows and heats.....lots. The only thing to be resolved is that the heater valve works in opposition to the knob position. The finished unit may be anodized silver or black, with bespoke fixings for the VX and options such as a larger heater core for speedsters in colder climates, an integral filter is also being looked at. Pictures below are of the prototype, so bear in mind its not anodised and some of the components I have made would not be up to a T7design production finish. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you switch between hot and cold by turning a valve on the water pipes instead of a flap to bypass the heater core? Surely the water in the heater core would get hot via convection through the heater pipe that's not valved eventually?

#48 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

This VX heater actually already exists, I was sent the Cad dwgs before I started. T7Design were already working on a LHD Speedster model based on their Midi-Heater but it was a loooong way off. To get things moving (and selfishly to get me a heater right now) T7 agreed to sell me the midi based prototype, with 3d printed parts and in return I worked out the simplest installation I could, making some small components, testing the results and sending back pictures, measurements and the like. Once the pain of getting the old heater out is over, I'm thinking anyone could fit this in an hour, it is pleasingly precision machined and the components used, like the powerful compact Spal twin fan, are well considered and very efficient IMHO, the temperature knob turns freely with full travel in each direction and most importantly it blows and heats.....lots. The only thing to be resolved is that the heater valve works in opposition to the knob position. The finished unit may be anodized silver or black, with bespoke fixings for the VX and options such as a larger heater core for speedsters in colder climates, an integral filter is also being looked at. Pictures below are of the prototype, so bear in mind its not anodised and some of the components I have made would not be up to a T7design production finish. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you switch between hot and cold by turning a valve on the water pipes instead of a flap to bypass the heater core? Surely the water in the heater core would get hot via convection through the heater pipe that's not valved eventually?

From the looks of it, it uses a bypass loop and linear valve to bypass the core as you go. Quite efficient really. Re Bowden cable... I have bad experience of brackets breaking or rusting away (current case in LY36), or cable sleeve splitting or slipping off the control clamp behind the dash (also current case on LY36). I want to add a comfort/gauge homemade ÉCU based on an Arduino, I am thinking of using the extra unused IO to control a few servos... why not!! :)

#49 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

How much will it cost....... As mentioned before this will be a configurable product where people can buy the heater unit and then configure the components to suit their needs/skills. The heater won't be expensive, given the quality of its construction, with the VX/Elise mountings, alloy spun outlet nozzle and anodising etc the heater will cost under £300. Motorised or manual bypass valves, fan size, filter or larger heater cores will affect this dependant on how you want it to work. Prices for many of these are already on the T7Design website. The complete setup I have fitted is quite simple and would probably be the cheapest option. I have no stake in this except helping T7 and us owners move this along. Adam is currently awaiting the tooling costs and pricing for the alloy spun cone, he should have those figures early next week plus larger cores (than I have fitted) should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully he will have some close to production prototypes in 4-5 weeks. I think there is enough interest in this to start a new thread with a list of those interested so I'll put together some of the posts from this thread plus more pictures of how I fitted the prototype early next week.

Edited by 'Buchos', 02 March 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#50 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

I think there is enough interest in this to start a new thread with a list of those interested..

:yeahthat:

Can I still be #1 please?   :D

#51 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

I think there is enough interest in this to start a new thread with a list of those interested..

:yeahthat:   Can I still be #1 please?   :D

Are you really that cold :)

#52 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

:yeahthat:   Can I still be #1 please?   :D
Are you really that cold :)
Yes! :D

#53 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Well if you're ever near Bangor you can come sit in my VX and get warmed up

#54 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Well if you're ever near Bangor you can come sit in my VX and get warmed up

:D  thumbsup

#55 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

I am really liking the idea of this:

Designed specifically for the car, so that water inlet and outlet suit the exisiting pipework. Same goes for air outlet.

Plenty of heat.

Configurable in respect of cable or electrical control.

Paul

#56 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

http://www.vx220.org...x220/?p=1909171

Please see new thread above in the group buy section for the T7Design VX220 Heater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users