Caterham Graduate Racing

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#181 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

To be honest I'm surprised how open the regs are, there are loads of things that aren't allowed in the official championships (3rd party parts, more setup options etc.) but I guess that comes with an aging grid.

It's been great reading about your exploits and hopefully I can learn from your experience next year. Not envisaging that I will have the results you have achieved as I'm going to spend most of the time being cautious even if that comes at the expense of positions. My goal is to have an incident free first season and try to get a bit of racecraft under my belt. I'd like to not come last but we will see how it goes as I'm a complete novice entering into a very experienced field :lol:

#182 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Cats - something I know nothing about.  Just taken delivery of a new Klarius exhaust with the (trusted) supplier's comment (on the cat) 'it's OK for the first year'.  Not music to my ears for £400, with race cats around £300.

There may be something to write about if I finish the car!

#183 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:15 PM

To be honest I'm surprised how open the regs are, there are loads of things that aren't allowed in the official championships (3rd party parts, more setup options etc.) but I guess that comes with an aging grid.

It's been great reading about your exploits and hopefully I can learn from your experience next year. Not envisaging that I will have the results you have achieved as I'm going to spend most of the time being cautious even if that comes at the expense of positions. My goal is to have an incident free first season and try to get a bit of racecraft under my belt. I'd like to not come last but we will see how it goes as I'm a complete novice entering into a very experienced field :lol:

You'll love it Steve. The grid next year is going to be even bigger than this year as there's quite a few expected to come across from the official championship as the rules there start to exclude the 'older models'. The great thing is, wherever you are on the grid, there's others there to race against and 15th place is every bit as hard fought as 1st!

My intention was exactly the same as yours - nice clean year with no damage and just learn the ropes. Sometime stuff just happens in such close racing. I think the best racers get better at anticipating whats going to happen and position the car accordingly, as a novice there's so much other stuff going on that having the brain capacity to think like this is tough and comes with seat time.

How's the ARDS coming along?

#184 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

Next Wednesday at Oulton for the test. Still reading section Q 👍

#185 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,554 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

Next Wednesday at Oulton for the test. Still reading section Q 👍

:thumbsup:

#186 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

I think the best racers get better at anticipating whats going to happen and position the car accordingly, as a novice there's so much other stuff going on that having the brain capacity to think like this is tough and comes with seat time.

I've experienced this first hand. I was getting some tuition from a two time British Radical champion on a circuit I know very well. I was focused on the next corner when he started shouting 'slow down, oil on track'. I slowed and after the corner we got a good slide on but thanks to the speed didn't go off circuit. Whilst monitoring my driving he was looking so far ahead he had seen a car three in front step out too quickly and recognised the danger well before we were anywhere near it.

He has been racing since childhood so obviously has a lot of experience.

#187 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,554 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Apparently racing gets cheaper - I'll let you know!

Here's qualifying from Snett. It was a tactical battle. We had to wait all day Saturday to get out for qualifying after the trucks crashed the barrier twice and stopped the racing while it was repaired. It had been a wet/dry day but we got out JUST as a mighty black cloud was coming across.

There was clearly only going to be time for 1-2 laps before the heavens opened. On the out lap it was clear the gaggle of cars in front of me were slow(er) and falling over each other so I opted to drop back a little to create space for 1 flying lap BUT in our racing series we qualify for 2 races in one session. The fastest lap is where you start in race 1, the 2nd fastest is where you start for race 2. 

Ideally I'd either start at the very front for qualy or drop right back to create space for 2 flyers. I didn't get out first and couldn't drop right back as (a) the rain was coming and (b )we had the slower race series start just behind us and I didn't want to get in among them.

I did my best but ended up compromising race 2 for a good race 1 start. I managed my best finish in race 1 so can't complain.

It started to rain on my one flyer but the grip mostly held up. I did still catch another car and had to pass at the end of the Bentley straight but was happy enough with a 2:16 in the conditions even though it was well behind the 2:13's I was running on the track day (in perfect conditions).

Edited by Captain Vimes, 10 October 2017 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users