• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#121 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

Just watched the first race, bad luck with the start and then it looks great fun. Nice confidence boost having a good bunch of cars to get past. I will definitely be doing some open wheel racing at some point in my life. Whens the next race?

#122 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Race 2 on the new layout at Pembrey

Started in 6th and had a great start. Held position through the first corners and in the hunt....

Lost a couple of places after giving too much space to others (who took it without hesitation - need to practice wheel to wheel racing!) down to 9th but I was on the lead pack and looking for a chance to make a pass.

But..when someone tried to get past into turn 1, I had a small lock up and a half spin losing 10 seconds and 4 places :(

The rest of the race was about chasing back some places. I closed down an 8 second gap in 10 laps, passing one car on the way. Caught 2 cars in the last corner and squeezed up the inside but got pushed onto the grass and couldn't make it stick. I needed another lap!

Lap times were much quicker than qualifying with my quickest (1:10.6) just 0.4 slower than the winners fastest time (1:10.2). 

I've learnt loads in the first weekend of racing and looking forward to getting back out on track!

Edited by Captain Vimes, 24 April 2017 - 11:11 PM.

#123 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

Great fun thumbsup I see they've changed the tyre wall the guy hit at the national 2013 into an Armco barrier too.

#124 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

Awesome work Captain.... Looks epic fun, after your recent history I'm not surprised you were giving them a bit of room!

I bloody well would be :) looking forward to watching your progress and confidence grow!

You will no doubt find a hell of a lot of time with new tyres :) AO48's are notorious for not liking heat cycles

Edited by Firthy, 25 April 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#125 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

So did you prefer old Pembrey or new Pembrey?

Old layout and I think that was a feeling shared by most on the day but it was good to run on both layouts. Keeps it interesting. If there's a choice for the national, then try and get on both layouts with a changeover at lunch.

#126 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Just to close out Pembrey, confirmation that thy did actually use a 5 minute board at the start of race 1...

Posted Image

#127 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Next race is Cadwell next weekend. It should be an interesting one. I've never been there in any car or even to spectate so have to learn the track in 4x30 minute test sessions on Friday and race Sat and Sunday. It looks an unforgiving place for racing and I think they're often incident packed. Aim will be to qualify mid pack, have fun in the races and bring it home in one piece.

#128 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Testing at Cadwell today. What a brilliant circuit! I now understand what all the fuss is about. So technical and so much to learn. The fast boys are taking turn 1 flat in 4th... I'm not. I've paid for tsl timing today as I don't have a vbox. Timing here for anyone interested: http://livetiming.ts...m/venue/cadwell I've done a massive 14 laps so far, 7 of which were wet and slippery, 7 were on a pretty dry track. Just about figured out which corner is left and which is right but still in the wrong years and no idea of braking points. Best so far is a 1:44 but I need to get sub 1:40 to be anywhere except back of the grid! Lots to learn...

#129 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

There is so much grip in the first left and right hander If your online I found more grip with tighter in the left hander

#130 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

There's more grip than you think on that first corner as it slopes up a bit. In the bone dry I can take it flat in 4th in my car but you have to make sure you use all of the track and your entry is spot on. The one to be careful of is the Gooseneck as the track falls away

#131 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks both. I'm getting there with turn 1. Slight lift on the way in still but it was drizzling with rain in the last session so wasn't confident enough to go flat. The following right also seems to have loads of grip that I'm not exploiting. Just hoping for the rain to clear off and the sun to come out.

#132 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Just did a short 4 lap session to scrub in some new tyres ready for qualifying tomorrow. Didn't want to push them too hard but dipped into the 1:42's on the flying lap...

#133 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

Just build up to that first corner. Slight less touch on the brakes every time. Don't go balls out!!!!

#134 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

The sun is out - easy flat in 4th now. Into the 1:41's now so getting to where I want to be for qualifying. I seem to be able to make time through gooseneck and the mountain section but still loosing a lot through turn 2.

#135 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

the first part of turn 2 is like turn 1 you can carry a lot more speed than you think through there 

its just the seond bit which i couldent get right, 

keep up the good work 

#136 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like you're having fun out there! thumbsup

#137 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

How was Cadwell?

#138 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

How was Cadwell?

Excellent. Had a really great weekend. I took a tent this time and the atmosphere around the paddock morning, noon and night is excellent with the Caterham club. We're there from Thursday evening through to Sunday afternoon as we race on both Sat and Sunday and they're a great bunch.

You're there soon aren't you?

It's a tough track to fully master but as long as you test first you'll be fine. 

Qualifying

I messed up qualifying strategy as I got caught up trying to pass someone that's slower in a 15 minute session, when I should have just backed off and created some space. It was also drizzling through the session which didn't help! The grip was fine but it knocked confidence for the big corners. Good enough for my aim of mid-pack though with:

- 7th place start in race one

- 8th place for race two

Best time of 1:41.6

Race 1

Was shortened to 10 minutes after an incident in one of the other Caterham classes caused a 1 hour delay (can't discuss on social media at this point - just don't crash at Cadwell!). I finished where I started - passed on the start by one but got past another. 7th in class and 10th on the road.

Best lap of 1:41.3. 

#139 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Race 2

Was a brilliant race. I made 2 places off the start, then passed a spinner and briefly overtook into the mountain to get into 7th (5th in class) but messed up the exit and lost the place into hall bends (fast and very narrow entry). Then dropped another place when I didn't defend into Park - stupid rookie error. Ended 2 places up overall to finish 9th (7th in class).

Best lap of 1:40.8

Here's a 30 second summary of race two for those that can't be bothered with watching the whole race (they cocked up the formation position hence being pushed back up the grid).

#140 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

Summary

Fantastic circuit. You can overtake into turn Coppice, Park and the approach to the mountain but it's narrow with close barriers and bites very hard if you get it wrong. A lot of the corners had quite a bit of camber so you can carry more speed than you first think. With more time I'm pretty certain I could get into the 1:39's but have no idea how the lead guy managed a 1:38.7 - it's such a technical circuit that you really need to know your car and the track to fully nail a lap.

My favorite corners are Gooseneck and the mountain - I was quick through those sections and just enjoyed the way the car floats around. You'll enjoy it!

Oh and they weren't doing green flag laps this weekend, it was straight out, form up and GO. Worth checking if there will be a green flag lap (it caused quite a few upsets in the first caterham race).

Here's the full race 2:

Edited by Captain Vimes, 15 May 2017 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users