Petrol Hybrids?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Anyone running a Petrol Hybrid? Golf GTE / Audi A3 E-Tron / BMW 2series Hybrid etc? Considering next step for the daily driver and these are cars I'm considering. Any others fit into this camp?

#2 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Friend has the Audi and loves it. Plus free parking at charging points thumbsup

#3 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

I know someone with the Ampera and he said he gets along with it very well, says its a heavy car but gets over 100mpg

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Pragmatically, the best solutions are Toyota/Lexus. The engineering that goes into the cars (and associated cost) is massively more advanced than anything else around. If you can't stomach a Prius, look at something more up market like the Lexus GS- really nice car.

The Audi/VW offerings are good by association. VAG wasn't serious about hybrids when designing them (much more focused on pushing diesels) - they're far from the best examples of a hybrid vehicle, however the base vehicles are good so the hybrids are also good. I'll be very interested to see how significant an improvement the next generation of hybrids from VAG will be, given they are re-aligned their business plans to place massive focus on them.

Can't comment on the BMW 2 series. Would probably take an i3 over the 2 series however I'm not sure you can make that compromise with the girls.

#5 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

I was very close to buying a Lexus hybrid late last year & sometimes now regret not going through with it. Also know someone who has the Mitsubishi PHEV and swears by it, particularly since the 32 mile electric only range fits right into their daily routine requirement. They calculate that a full charge at home costs them circa 80p for the 32 mile range, a bit different to £5.50 for a gallon of petrol to cover the same distance!

Edited by PaulCP, 14 March 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#6 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

See, that's the thing... my commute is 3miles... going to 6miles in August. So I'm well inside the electric range of PHEVs but I don't want to loose the flexibility of the long distance trips without mucking around stopping half way for an hour or two. So hence the 20-30 mile range of Electric only on the hybrids is plenty as I could charge at home and work, but don't want to be tied to electric only. The i3 is a range extender rather than a hybrid as such? As the engine is there only to charge not drive? It's also FUGLY!

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

The i3 is a range extender rather than a hybrid as such? As the engine is there only to charge not drive? It's also FUGLY!

Does it matter? an electric motor can deliver 100 % torque from 0 RPMand engines are most efficient at a fixed RPM so it makes sense to use the motor to charge the batteries.

I'd suggest trying one before dismissing it.

#8 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

With the PHEV you don't get tied to electric only, it has a petrol engine which takes over when needed & then acts like a normal hybrid. Long distance, on petrol/hybrid power it returns around 35mpg (so I'm told). If for most of the time you can capitalise on the electric only bit they start to make sense since the flexibility is there for longer distances when needed. The Lexus type hybrid will only do around 2-3 miles electric only but gets charged by the petrol engine at certain cycles. To get the best from it you do need to adapt driving style a little but once use to it it will become second nature. As Fez says, go and try one & see what suits.

#9 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

But it's still FUGLY :lol:

#10 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

But it's still FUGLY :lol:

I agree. I looked at the i3. It seems a good idea in theory, but those looks!

I reckon they'll sort out the appearance with the next gen.

I once test drove a Yaris petrol hybrid. Hateful thing.

#11 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

That's why the A3 e-tron / Golf GTE appeal... they look like... well regular dull cars :lol: The i3 is just trying to be too futuristic, which doesn't work. It didn't work with the first Honda Insight, Prius etc

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

been getting over 60mpg with yaris petrol, just how much mpg do you need versus mileage per year to justify going hybrid. over 40mpg today on the boxster driving to bishops stortford and back.

#13 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

With the PHEV you don't get tied to electric only, it has a petrol engine which takes over when needed & then acts like a normal hybrid. Long distance, on petrol/hybrid power it returns around 35mpg (so I'm told). If for most of the time you can capitalise on the electric only bit they start to make sense since the flexibility is there for longer distances when needed. The Lexus type hybrid will only do around 2-3 miles electric only but gets charged by the petrol engine at certain cycles. To get the best from it you do need to adapt driving style a little but once use to it it will become second nature. As Fez says, go and try one & see what suits.

My work has a series of Lexus GS 350 on test and they get 45 mpg over their lifespan in real world conditions. I'm surprised the Mitsubishi is so bad actually, but I guess they are facing a lawsuit over their PHEV systems for that very reason.

Engines are least efficient in stop start conditions and a relatively mild hybrid system used exclusively for that will make a massive difference.

#14 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

been getting over 60mpg with yaris petrol, just how much mpg do you need versus mileage per year to justify going hybrid. over 40mpg today on the boxster driving to bishops stortford and back.

Yaris is too small, I want next size up. Yaris = A1/Polo/etc, 2series/A3/Golf is smallest segment I'd want to go. It's my only car (well bar the Evora 400 obvs but that's hardly a "sensible" load lugger!)

#15 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

My work has a series of Lexus GS 350 on test and they get 45 mpg over their lifespan in real world conditions. I'm surprised the Mitsubishi is so bad actually, but I guess they are facing a lawsuit over their PHEV systems for that very reason.   Engines are least efficient in stop start conditions and a relatively mild hybrid system used exclusively for that will make a massive difference.
I guess the brick like aerodynamics of the Mitsubishi don't help it a great deal, the 35mpg was motorway driving. I managed 39mpg mixed driving over 3 days when I had a RX450h on extended test, which I thought was good for the size of the car. Nice interiors on Lexus too👍

#16 JORDAN

JORDAN

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have an i8 and I'm getting around 45-50mpg on average.  I do charge mine a lot and do lots of short trips on electric only which helps. 

Great for getting parked in busy cities I still find most if the EV bays are empty and a lot of them free.   

#17 B1RMA

B1RMA

• Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Buying and selling shares large scale, collecting watches and pens, Fender Custom Shop Guitar buyer/seller

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

We've  been running a Yaris Hybrid for coming up to 4 years now, its my wife's daily drive. I think it's pretty crap as a car but if I were doing her journey I'd buy one.

She ran a VW Beetle before for about 4 years and doing the same journey we are buying less than a quarter of the fuel plus no road tax.

Servicing is silly cheap and they extend the battery warranty on every service, if your journey does involve getting stuck in traffic the car will very soon start to show real world fuel efficiency.

Myself I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have a petrol engine as well as the electric power just in case. I imagine the larger models must have very similar savings.

#18 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

How about a Merc C350e plug-in - does 134.5mpg and 0-62 in 5.9s alledgedly.

#19 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

I want an i8 next, to replace my a6 I quite like the brown interior...(but the blue needs to go) http://www.autotrade...6?atmobcid=soc3

#20 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

my grandfather has a Lexus LS(something massive) very nice place to be although circa 6 mile commute I would not bother and just get a £500 1L corsa It would take years and years of tax and fuel to even come close to the cost of a new hybrid thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users