Anyone Got Any Major Mods This Winter

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

Spent last weekend down south in Englandshire with Batman and Vocky. We (well, I say we, but all i did was get in the way and ask dumb questions like what's that, that's this,what does that do, etc...).  We did a load of stuff to the NA including:

1. Stripped off both clams and bonnets

2. Fitted new proalloy radiator

3. Fitted new proalloy chargecooler radiator

4. Fitted a new supercharger  (whine whine....)

5. Removed old fuel tank and fitted a new 60l pro-alloy fuel tank and a spitfire upgraded fuel pump (both Joe and Neil at this point remarked why others did not fit the 60ltr fuel tank as it was such an easy job.....)

6. Fitted extended wiring loom

7. Fitted new fuel rail and injectors

Was amazing to watch the guys work and see how quickly, efficiently and cleanly they finished up. We had a couple of hitches, but the experience and ingenuity to get over these was a pleasure to experience.

Car still down there as we are waiting for the ECU to come back from Holland and then for the whole thing to be tested.

My car was a 2001 NA, Cat C in 2007 with 56k miles.  Both Joe and Neil remarked how clean it was under the body etc and thanks to the previous owner doing many upgrades (all clam bolts replaced with stainless, full suspension refresh including GAZ Gold adjustables) the job was made much easier with the clams in particular coming off and going on easy.

The bonnets both fitted perfect, first time - a first for the guys and testament to how well sorted VX220BOB had got the car.

Apart from a new heater, the car should be good and well sorted now for a couple of years to come and a couple of seasons on the track.

Not a cheap weekend, however, I'm sure she will be like chalk and cheese when I get her back.  Final mod will the GARW 8" LCD which should arrive sometime this month.

It's amazing how things have progressed, 10 years ago it would have taken months just to buy + install + map a supercharger. Much more formulaic now.  

Edited by Nev, 07 December 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#22 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

To be fair that is down to the pre-work Neil and Joe do. For instance, before I had arrived:

1. The radiator and charge cool rad had been pre-assembled, with fans, wiring and together ready for plug and play

2. The wiring harness extension was pre-done 

3. The fuel rail and injectors, all pre-done

4. The air intake pre-built

5. The supercharger all pre-prepped

It really was like a new car assembly line - each knew what they were doing, working on different bits independently but it all coming together. It was obvious they have done many many of these and I can't stress how impressive it was to watch.

Like with everything that matters, a lot of effort, planning, prep and work goes into making it look and go so smoothly and easily

#23 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

To be fair that is down to the pre-work Neil and Joe do. For instance, before I had arrived:

1. The radiator and charge cool rad had been pre-assembled, with fans, wiring and together ready for plug and play

It really was like a new car assembly line - each knew what they were doing, working on different bits independently but it all coming together. It was obvious they have done many many of these and I can't stress how impressive it was to watch.

Like with everything that matters, a lot of effort, planning, prep and work goes into making it look and go so smoothly and easily

Posts like this... bad for my wallet!

#24 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Well James - you only live once and whilst it will drain your cash bank balance, it will add lots and lots to your smiles bank balance.

Just do it. The VX was made to be supercharged. It was designed to be supercharged. It just needs to be supercharged.

When you booking Batman and Vocky (please bear in mind Vocky wears a blue overall and not as I expected a red and yellow tunic with green tights!)

#25 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Supercharging LY36 and repairing some nignags on the clam.

Also working on a new HMI, and then a special coupé back in the coming summer.

#26 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

Vocky wears a blue overall and not as I expected a red and yellow tunic with green tights!)

Think he charges extra for this..

#27 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

That's a lot of text, just to say you got yourself a Porsche :happy:

I haven't got a porsche.  

#28 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Vocky wears a blue overall and not as I expected a red and yellow tunic with green tights!)

Think he charges extra for this..

it's not going to happen :lol:

But Joe does wear a black cape :P  

#29 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

Only a black cape.. :lol:

#30 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

No need to supercharge, just add even more poundage to your springs to go faster.  

#31 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

My winters project is to write up the last 2 years of upgrades in my project thread... including ITBs Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

To be fair that is down to the pre-work Neil and Joe do. For instance, before I had arrived:   1. The radiator and charge cool rad had been pre-assembled, with fans, wiring and together ready for plug and play 2. The wiring harness extension was pre-done  3. The fuel rail and injectors, all pre-done 4. The air intake pre-built 5. The supercharger all pre-prepped   It really was like a new car assembly line - each knew what they were doing, working on different bits independently but it all coming together. It was obvious they have done many many of these and I can't stress how impressive it was to watch.   Like with everything that matters, a lot of effort, planning, prep and work goes into making it look and go so smoothly and easily  

No need to supercharge, just add even more poundage to your springs to go faster.  
My arse springs carry all the extra poundage any vx could cope with hence the need for more power to get the ratio back up.

#33 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

Well, I'm pretty happy with the springs I've got currently actually, with non track tyres they are stiff enough. It's not just about the laptime though (which is not a huge difference, tyres and power make more impact IMO), the car on the stiffer springs is more fun to drive. Next time I'm at Castle Combe come for a ride to see for yourself..  

#34 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

Methanol 😁😁

#35 e7 jmc

e7 jmc

• Pip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Mtbing, skateboarding, parenting, musicing..........

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

new house, new double garage, more space to view the car

#36 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Other than finishing some house jobs hiding from the kids in the garage when time allows will be.... Bare shell nut and bolt rebuild of my old renault 5 GT turbo I purchased back after selling 11 years ago, lot of work on shell Above will take most of my free time as the car turns 30 next year and be good to get back on use But also going to try to finish the fabrication fitting my rs3 5pot tfsi & 7speed dsg conversion. Already have the 1.8 20vt mid mounted DG

#37 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Id like a pax in that 5 when its done DG; hope you and the family are well.

#38 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi Rob all well thanks ;) well as good as it can be with 3 boys taking over the house lol Your welcome to a pax ride, will be a lot of r&d taming the beast but have full motorsport tc, launch etc from the syvec ecu......going to be epic but a handful for sure DG

#39 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Short wheelbase, plenty of power...what can go wrong! Its certainly no Omega :D

Edited by rob999, 09 December 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#40 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

Lol soo many laughs in the omega estate, great tow car, comfort, creamy v6, decent size - shame the rear end kept stepping out :D I seriously looked at a few engine options including zlet turbo, jap 6 cyl turbo and my fave v8 beastie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users