• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

I have the Helix Heavy Duty 6 Paddle Cerametallic Sprung Faced Drive Plate with the Helix Heavy Duty Uprated Cover Assembly on my turbo & its excellent for putting the power down. If you dont use it in traffic maybe go for that. Ready even if you go for more & more power then.

#42 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

I have the Helix Heavy Duty 6 Paddle Cerametallic Sprung Faced Drive Plate with the Helix Heavy Duty Uprated Cover Assembly on my turbo & its excellent for putting the power down. If you dont use it in traffic maybe go for that. Ready even if you go for more & more power then.

Hey dude, that the one from Courtenays? I do like doing road trips in it and of course that means encountering traffic so I’m concerned I’ll end up hating it. Lee says his isn’t too bad but he’s got 4 plate. Luke says his is awful and he’s got 6 plate. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hey dude, that the one from Courtenays? I do like doing road trips in it and of course that means encountering traffic so Im concerned Ill end up hating it. Lee says his isnt too bad but hes got 4 plate. Luke says his is awful and hes got 6 plate. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No its by no means awful at all. Just not for an everyday car Id say. I had a 4 plate paddle clutch on a different car which I think was more on / off than the 6 plate one I have now. Its all about the torque rating it can handle rather than the bhp when your looking. You just need to get used to not slipping the clutch if you normally do - so you dont wear it more. I find reverse a bit more on / off than first gear. Got mine from Mardi Gras Motorsport which was the best price at the time. Have a look here http://www.performan...x220/409522.htm

#44 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

the friction material on your broken clutch disc was coping with the power, it was just the metal which fatigued and broke.

So is it worth fitting a paddle clutch ?

#45 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Think acid said he wanted to push towards 300 hp So will be on the limits of the fast road clutch before that

#46 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

the friction material on your broken clutch disc was coping with the power, it was just the metal which fatigued and broke.

So is it worth fitting a paddle clutch ?

Exactly this.!

For road use and occasional track use, you ideally you want a clutch disc with sprung hub and friction disc with marcel springs. This makes a huge amount of difference in engagement and general usability. Over-specced paddle clutches ruin a road car IMO.. Y[color=#222222;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;"]our engine is probably only making, what, 220 - 230lb/ft?[/color][/font]

For £1k, I'd be wanting a multi-plate clutch unit. Crazy price..

If you really want to spend money, I was previously directed towards Southbend clutches. These are rated for up to 500lb/ft, and have a proper sprung hub (just confirm fitment with the F23 gearbox before buying)

https://zzperformanc...e-clutches.html

https://zzperformanc...clutch-kit.html

#47 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

The helix 6 paddle is what I went for in the end which is rated to 330 lb/ft or 447nm of torque from helix themselves. I would be very surprised if you hit 400 nm of torque on your setup neil. The clutch is very on-off for me and definitely not as nice as the CS fast road clutch I had in the other engine. It just means I have to apply more throttle to get a nice take off. I did have the CS fast road clutch in for years with a good few track days and miles on it at 400 nm of torque and it never let me down.

#48 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

Decided to go for the helix 6 paddle which John is gonna help fit to the existing housing and lightweight flywheel. Good price from Chickendippers on here 😊 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Acidpopstar, 19 January 2018 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users