• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

I have an engine crane that many other VX'ers have borrowed if that helps.

Also pistons and rods you can have.

I wonder if it could just be HGF , which you could fix with just taking the head off.

#42 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

I would do a leak down to try and get to the bottom of it. When piston rings go is it suddenly or gradually? I would have thought it would be a gradual thing?

#43 Vx220-blue

Vx220-blue

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

http://www.vx220.org...-speed-gearbox/   You can always sell the 6-speed box... :happy:

£4500 for a new engine and box is quite good really, can't be many of them floating around. At least you'd be buying maximum provenance that it will work!  
Don't have the money for that unfortunately

#44 Vx220-blue

Vx220-blue

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

I would do a leak down to try and get to the bottom of it. When piston rings go is it suddenly or gradually? I would have thought it would be a gradual thing?

It's something to do with the engine either way. At 90k and having a stage 4 for a number of years I may as well get a new engine put in

#45 Vx220-blue

Vx220-blue

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:01 AM

I have an engine crane that many other VX'ers have borrowed if that helps.   Also pistons and rods you can have.   I wonder if it could just be HGF , which you could fix with just taking the head off.

I was under the impression a HGF would affect two adjacent cylinders, and the wet compression test wouldn't show much difference?

#46 Vx220-blue

Vx220-blue

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

I've found a forged Z20leh I want to put in. If the engine comes bare will all the other bits swap over from the let that's in my VX (alternator, starter, rocker cover etc etc)?

Edited by Vx220-blue, 20 April 2018 - 07:03 AM.

#47 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:16 AM

I've found a forged Z20leh I want to put in. If the engine comes bare will all the other bits swap over from the let that's in my VX (alternator, starter, rocker cover etc etc)?

Yep, almost everything is a direct swap. You can get trivial issues like the oil level plug differs on some engines, but they are easily resolvable.

Who's doing the engine swap for you?  

Edited by Nev, 20 April 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#48 Vx220-blue

Vx220-blue

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Yep, almost everything is a direct swap. You can get trivial issues like the oil level plug differs on some engines, but they are easily resolvable.   Who's doing the engine swap for you?  
It's coming from an Astra VXR if that helps? I'm going to tackle it myself and get some help from a mates dad if I get stuck. Clutch is on around 45k so I'm unsure whether I should change this at the same time? 500 from Courtenay without slave so may just keep it in until it dies

#49 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yep, almost everything is a direct swap. You can get trivial issues like the oil level plug differs on some engines, but they are easily resolvable.   Who's doing the engine swap for you?  
It's coming from an Astra VXR if that helps? I'm going to tackle it myself and get some help from a mates dad if I get stuck. Clutch is on around 45k so I'm unsure whether I should change this at the same time? 500 from Courtenay without slave so may just keep it in until it dies

Helix used to reface their old clutch plates if you send it in. I had mine done once for about £70 (instead of paying circa £250 for a new one).

Edited by Nev, 20 April 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#50 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

vxr engine has some difference, depending on the engine you might have to run the alternator direct to the crank , as power steering and aircon pulleys do not apply.

a lot of people make the mistake to assume the vxr fuel rail is the same as the z20LET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users