Realistic Options For Mounting A Mountain Bike

rack practical

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maestro12

Maestro12

• 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hi all, seen a few posts about this but I've not seen a firm answer.

I absolutely adore the vx220 and have done for ages. I'm a single guy in London who will use the car exclusively for weekend pleasure and the odd drive down to Cornwall. I'm aware of the cars practicality limitations and Spartan featured of course.

My one real hold up is whether anybody has options for a mountain bike to be transported on it. I currently mount a 36 lbs mountain bike on my coupe 1 series with a seasucker talon rack. I've seen a hornet seasucker is possible on an elise mk1 and I've seen a few posts about a saris bones potentially working.

Failing this I'll have to look into other options such as an s2000 which is a shame as I'm totally smitten on a vx....

But mountain biking is my second love to spots between 1-3 hours away.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

http://www.vx220.org...passenger-seat/

#3 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

I've managed to get a mountain bike in the passenger seat.. mega, mega squeeze, and had to have window open but did fit..

#4 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

I've always been a little dubious of the suction racks, but if there's one that would fit onto the rollbar cover, that could work with the rear wheel onto the clam somewhere.  The rollbar cover is possibly the strongest point of the fibregalss bodywork.  The triple sucker rack you link wouldn't fit, but if they do a double?  Anything's possible, I built myself a ski rack that's expanded to four pairs now.

#5 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

What I did was remove the rear clam and then line it (and boot) with heavy duty fibreglass matting in two part epoxy resin adhesive.  Didn't add much weight to the clam but increased thickness to 4/5mm with huge increased overall rigidity to take the weight (carbon fibre bike)  The bike rack has straps from an aluminium bar that sits under the engine bay lid at the rear by the hinges to the top of an ordinary car bike rack that was given to me that luckily happened to be suitable (padded bar not suction cups) and then adjustable straps around underneath at the back and adjustable straps to the wheel arches  (they need padding too).  Works a treat.

#6 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

if you have a hard top what about the new suction cub idea https://www.chainrea...REaAlryEALw_wcB

a bit pricey but could work

#7 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

straps.jpg

But in all honesty, i would suggest getting a tatty hardtop and fibreglass/bold in a few solid mounts.

#8 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

I'd prefer to mount a woman. At a push, a sheep maybe. But not a mountain bike. No soul and too rigid.

Would this work?  https://www.ebay.co....2-/160791102070

#9 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,860 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:57 AM

I'd prefer to mount a woman. At a push, a sheep maybe. But not a mountain bike. No soul and too rigid.

Would this work? https://www.ebay.co....2-/160791102070

This, but with some women, the sheep would be first on the list...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rack, practical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users