Harrop Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

Peter.... did my Na Honda make you spend lots of money this winter ;)

I hope my new engine can beat you still :P

#22 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Bike and car track days

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

Ha ha....you know I can't help myself, nothing wrong with your little missile but yes I've moved my goal post as was just not enough for me, and just daft to have no charge cooling on a supercharged car imo.

#23 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

Hmm... next year should be fun :P

But yes I totally agree with you needing a chargecooler!

#24 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

It's my 69bhp KA that's made him spend the money!

#25 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:48 PM

I can see this conversion getting very popular it's a bit of a no brainer to take a normal 350 to 460 for under 50k with the 4XX cars being 100k there are almost no other differences on the Exige. Just cut a section out of the gear lever shroud and you're good to go.

#26 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

How much does this conversion cost then?

#27 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

Nice will be good to have a nose about at the conversion top job Peter 

#28 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:26 AM

I can see this conversion getting very popular it's a bit of a no brainer to take a normal 350 to 460 for under 50k with the 4XX cars being 100k there are almost no other differences on the Exige. Just cut a section out of the gear lever shroud and you're good to go.

410 sport is where it’s at I think.

Available for nearly sensible money with a decent discount.

That transmission is still shit though.

#29 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:29 AM

Be interesting how these Exige V6 upgrades do on track. Standard S was no quicker than my 250bhp VX SC. They have built in traction control right? With adjustable settings? Doe the power increase mess with the TC? No idea how this works by the way just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:45 AM

No the power doesn't mess the traction control up, behaves just the same.

#31 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

Once you're willing to spend £50k to £100k on a track car (assuming one is willing to tow it) there are quite a lot of better cars than Lotus platformed ones. Alway surprises me how people stick to the same formula.

I can't imagine any Lotus based cars going faster (or even getting vaguely close) than this £30k Spire (with some intelligent mods):

Edited by Nev, 28 December 2018 - 08:47 AM.

#32 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

Two different animals, lotus exige and vx220 are road cars, that spire thing is a track car, that's not comparing like for like. Personally I use my car alot more on the road than I do on track (10,000 miles in 2 and a bit years) but does that mean I,m not allowed to make it better? Funny because could of sworn you've done exactly that! LOL LOL
Could I have got a different road car for the money?...then yes would agree there are alot of other options out there, but this was for me the car to replace my much loved vxr and hence is similar in many ways.

#33 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

Two different animals, lotus exige and vx220 are road cars, that spire thing is a track car, that's not comparing like for like. Personally I use my car alot more on the road than I do on track (10,000 miles in 2 and a bit years) but does that mean I,m not allowed to make it better? Funny because could of sworn you've done exactly that! LOL LOL
Could I have got a different road car for the money?...then yes would agree there are alot of other options out there, but this was for me the car to replace my much loved vxr and hence is similar in many ways.

I guess you didn't read "on a track car (assuming one is willing to tow it)", hence your comment. Clearly if you want a road (or combined road + track) car then a Lotus chassis car is great.

The general point I'm making is that reconciling a road car (with all it's inherent compromises) to being just a towed track car seems potty to me. Far better for someone to start off with more honed car in the first place, especially if one has £50 to £100k.

Edited by Nev, 28 December 2018 - 02:24 PM.

#34 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Problem is if you buy a all out track car you will get bored on track as it will normally be too quick for a trackday so you will get held up all day and won’t have any battles with anyone as they won’t stand a chance so bit boring!

#35 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:04 PM

Tbh I,m lost as to what point your making or whom it's aimed at, this thread was about the harrop upgrade on my exige, which along with most people's car's on here is a road car with track abilities.
Dont see whats the relevance of telling us we could buy a track car for similar or less money? I dont want a track car I cant use on the road or that is open to the elements.

#36 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

Tbh I,m lost as to what point your making or whom it's aimed at, this thread was about the harrop upgrade on my exige, which along with most people's car's on here is a road car with track abilities.
Dont see whats the relevance of telling us we could buy a track car for similar or less money? I dont want a track car I cant use on the road or that is open to the elements.

My comments were general (not aimed at you BTW), aimed instead at those that buy a road car at considerable expense, then spend even more tuning it and then only track it (ie exclusively). When instead they could spend less money and yet go faster in something else.

#37 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

Problem is if you buy a all out track car you will get bored on track as it will normally be too quick for a trackday so you will get held up all day and won’t have any battles with anyone as they won’t stand a chance so bit boring!

Yea, i can understand that, having to wait until "allowed" to overtake would make it constantly frustrating too.

#38 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:21 PM

whats the cost?

May be of interest to some of the serious vx modifying fraternity?

#39 bigoldhillsroundhere

bigoldhillsroundhere

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:23 PM

whats the cost?

May be of interest to some of the serious vx modifying fraternity?

If your asking you can't afford it....

;)

#40 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

Once you're willing to spend £50k to £100k on a track car (assuming one is willing to tow it) there are quite a lot of better cars than Lotus platformed ones. Alway surprises me how people stick to the same formula.

I can't imagine any Lotus based cars going faster (or even getting vaguely close) than this £30k Spire (with some intelligent mods):

Just for the record.......I built and tuned the engine in that car 😬 #PoweredByRLM 🤣😎

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users