Bedford Noise Test Result

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Yes I did read it and took on board what you said, I'm just really surprised that how slow I was going and deemed to be too noisy, I've done everything I can think of to be comply with their noise restrictions but it is now just unachievable in an sc car

That’s really odd then. Was it a particularly cold day? As mentioned in my post, we had 2 SC cars and managed to get by all day. It was a great day and feathering the throttle past the mics (well the two on the left side of the track) really didn’t dampen our enjoyment. FWIW, my car measured 98db on the static at Cadwell today...

Edit, was it foggy or very low cloud?

#22 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

Is this noise from the SC, exhaust or both? Surely fitting an enclosed filter immediately reduces most/all SC noise? Then it's just the exhaust to deal with.

At 88db static when the limit is 100db it's definitely not the exhaust, it's the wine of the supercharger. I thought the enclosed filter would help but obviously not.
Yes, and induction noise. I had head that an enclosed filter drastically reduces the noise - which one are you using?

#23 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:46 PM

I’ve said it on here and on FB that John modified a Saab airbox for my car that has 90% eliminated all SC whine. It really sounds like an NA now. I’m hoping that will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

I’ve said it on here and on FB that John modified a Saab airbox for my car that has 90% eliminated all SC whine. It really sounds like an NA now. I’m hoping that will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Like thumbsup

#25 Munching Mike

Munching Mike

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

Sad to hear of the noise issues at Bedford.   I have been thinking about a supercharger for some time, but its usefulness would be limited, if the noise levels keep it off the track.   If a solution can be found (e.g., the Saab airbox) I would still like more power...

#26 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

I bought a Saab airbox off John Clifton from the Facebook forum and it is being fitted this week along with a service etc. I am hoping that this will be sufficient to get me through the national.

#27 Krusty

Krusty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

Yes I did read it and took on board what you said, I'm just really surprised that how slow I was going and deemed to be too noisy, I've done everything I can think of to be comply with their noise restrictions but it is now just unachievable in an sc car

That’s really odd then. Was it a particularly cold day? As mentioned in my post, we had 2 SC cars and managed to get by all day. It was a great day and feathering the throttle past the mics (well the two on the left side of the track) really didn’t dampen our enjoyment. FWIW, my car measured 98db on the static at Cadwell today...

Edit, was it foggy or very low cloud?

IT was sunny, no cloud, no wind and about 8 degrees

#28 Krusty

Krusty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Sad to hear of the noise issues at Bedford. I have been thinking about a supercharger for some time, but its usefulness would be limited, if the noise levels keep it off the track. If a solution can be found (e.g., the Saab airbox) I would still like more power...

Bedford is the only track I've had a problem with and I've done a lot of them in England

#29 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:53 AM

Are meters all on the outside of circuit or any on infield? Just wondering as my exhaust is on the passenger side facing out? :)

#30 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

Are meters all on the outside of circuit or any on infield? Just wondering as my exhaust is on the passenger side facing out? :)

one after the pits is on the infield.  theres a white line painted for the council to measure distance for the photos.

stay far right lol

#31 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

Sad to hear of the noise issues at Bedford.   I have been thinking about a supercharger for some time, but its usefulness would be limited, if the noise levels keep it off the track.   If a solution can be found (e.g., the Saab airbox) I would still like more power...

Good enclosed airbox + std turbo muffler will make a decently quiet SC... (and still 250+Hp)

#32 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

I have a standard turbo backbox I'm willing to swap for an aftermarket one if anyone is interested. 

#33 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

I would say if you supercharged you've got no chance of getting round unless you drive really carefully at 30 miles an hour and don't rev above 2000. Looks like my place at the national will be up for sale unless there is a solution

I should be alright then

#34 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

Can anyone help me get hold of one of these John clifton modified saab airboxes please as I'm not on Facebook?
Cheers

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#35 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

I used a Pipercross vm7000 Viper and it totally silenced the sc noise and was easy to swap over to that for quiet trackdays and

back to the open cone filter after.

It meant that whereas I would get kicked off at places like Goodwood or have to be very careful  I could run around all day flat out.

I also had a reasonably loud 2tubular 2.5 inch system (In which I also added 1 removable db reducer), which knocked off another couple of db.

Martin S

#36 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Bike and car track days

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

Wonder how many laps I'll get then, or maybe the exiges aren't as bad on noise lol....looks like money well spent ha ha, atleast have plenty of time to talk to people then.

#37 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Cheers Martin

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#38 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

I used a Pipercross vm7000 Viper and it totally silenced the sc noise

In total contrast, I also run the VM7000 and it makes mine nowhere near silent (M62 with 2.9" pulley and 3" Tullet) and despite being 10 minutes away from Bedford Autodrome and having done at least 20 events there in my earlier days of ownership, I've not been for 7 years since last getting kicked off 4 laps into the morning session.

#39 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

You had me at trying to be silent with a 3" tullett 😂

#40 markanswrth

markanswrth

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:07 AM

I reckon my 3inch 2bular and 200 cell cat hasn't got a hope of getting through. Will swap back to the old one for June and look at silencing the airbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users