Tyres

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:58 AM

Ricky Oops....ta - fingers faster than brain - edited original! :) Further edit No I haven't - looks like you can't edit a post with a quote in......but as you say I meant 225/45x17......:)

Edited by Dave T-S, 20 May 2003 - 08:01 AM.

#22 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:07 AM

Also, I believe the CJC**** code is actually the tyre plant/mould they are made in/the tyre itself batch identifier, not the tyre type. You will note that the CJC**** type mark is a sequential mark like a date stamp that changes from tyre to tyre, not a uniform one like the "RE040" mark.

There have been plenty of posts on the Lotus BBS about this subject. Nick Adams, the Lotus Development Engineer posted a definitive reply (which I can't find a copy of at the moment). Whilst most Bridgestone employees and suppliers believe the CJC**** code to be a batch identifier/time stamp, it is actually a unique identifier for the VX-specific rear tyre. From memory the S2 Elise tyre is identified by DKE***. The VXT tyre is Z speed rated, so will have a different code again :huh:

If you have a NA VX, the rear tyres should have CJC4601 stamped on them. If not, it's not the VX tyre. I'm not confused, but I'm sure everyine else is, after this post :P

PS Any Elise owners able to dig out Nick Adams' post, to clear things up?

#23 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 12:40 PM

Gary Hmmm :D As my VXT rear tyres are stamped CFE5002, this kind of blows the theory out of the water then!

#24 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 12:51 PM

The VXT tyre is Z speed rated, so will have a different code again...

Dave, the code only applies to the NA (see above).

#25 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 01:39 PM

Gary Oh yes....... as in read the fecking post properly LOL :D

#26 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:24 AM

Dave :D

#27 R3D VX

R3D VX

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:36 PM

Have just placed an order for 2 rears, Bridgestone RE050 225/45/17. (asked for VX spec ones!) This is the new compound supposed to be better than 040 cost £90 each pre vat from Micheldever. Don't know when they will arrive! Will let you know how they are, Mike :D

#28 Lingus

Lingus

• PipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Cars :)

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:34 AM

Just to add to the tyre debate :) Has anyone fitted any tyres other than the bridgestones? I fitted the new Avon ZZ3's to the Racing Puma and loved them, i may try them on the back of the VX when needing some. Anyone think this is a good idea? J

#29 stumpy

stumpy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:13 AM

Jeff, Firstly what the feck are you doing up at 4:30 in the morning? I know your new to vx ownership but you need to get some :sleepy: :sleepy: !!!!! I have seen (and mickr4 as well) a set of 205, 50?, R17 fitted on the standard front rims! This was to a speedy in switzerland!!! and was all apperently legal and signed off by the tyre manufacturer! The only snag is that it caught on the inner wheel arch, so the solution was to drill through the foot well, then using a long bolt and washer pull the linning of the wheel arch towards the foot well (hope that is clear :huh: :huh: :huh: ). Alain might know who it is that did it, but the guy reckons the handling is just fantastic. However I still think that car companies have people with "TEFAL" heads that work these things out and there is a reason tyre sizes are what they are. Ramble over :P Stumpy

#30 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:47 AM

Lingus Biggest problem with trying other tyres is that hardly anything is available in 175/55x17 for the front :( , and I wouldn't recommend mixing different tyres on the front and rear.

Edited by Dave T-S, 27 May 2003 - 07:49 AM.

#31 Lingus

Lingus

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:34 PM

Ahhh mi see's now! Backs not a problem but fronts are :( I love the Avons 2 TVR fit them standard to the Tamora and are amazing. Stumpy! To answer your question i was just awake, bad night sleep etc etc got some :sleepy: soon after posting :) Just to add again i think it sucks that you can't have any make of tyre on the front because of the size :( and Bridgestones arn't the best tyre out there either :blink: J

Edited by Lingus, 27 May 2003 - 05:53 PM.

#32 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:35 PM

I love the Avons 2 TVR fit them standard to the Tamora and are amazing

Well......they don't work on everything - Avons are crap on Imprezas for instance. Also note the Tuscan is fitted with Toyo Proxes T1-s (one of my favourite tyres) not Avon.

Just to add again i think it sucks that you can't have any make of tyre on the front because of the size

Just the way it goes - it's a very small market for 175/55x17, and doesn't justify the tool up costs as tyre manufacturers won't get a return on their investment.

and Bridgestones arn't the best tyre out there either

Nor are they the worst......Bridgestone made probably one of the best tyres of recent years with the S02. It's successor the S03 isn't as good but still a very good tyre. The RE040 is actually quite a good OEM tyre, apart from having them on the VXT they are also on Mrs T-S's Seat Leon Cupra, and we both had them on our previous Inpreza STi Type UK's so I have done a lot of miles on them.

Probably the best all round tyre out there at the moment is the Goodyear F1 GSD-3.

#33 Lingus

Lingus

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 08:25 PM

You seem to know your tyre stuff Dave :) Think i will Imnotworthy to you on this, could agree with you on the F1 though. J

#34 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 07:24 AM

You seem to know your tyre stuff Dave

Ta :) Mainly due to having spent a lot of money on them over the last three years (replaced the wheels/tyres on six Imprezas :o between us) and also taking an interest as it is the only thing between staying on the road and my best efforts to throw my cars into the scenery :D

It will be interesting to see what the new RE050 is like, and if they mould them for the fronts of the VX.

Incidentally, I asked the Vauxhall VX220 Brand Manager a few weeks ago if they evaluated any other tyres for the VX apart from the RE040, and the answer was no.

#35 Lingus

Lingus

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 09:15 PM

Looks like the Bridgies it is then :unsure:

#36 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:35 PM

Looks like the Bridgies it is then  :unsure:

If you're going to stick with the standard rims, I would go for the Bridgestone as it was specifically developed for the factory set-up.

My tyres won't last much longer... I'm still waiting to see what Thorney comes up with in the search for other rims, as then many options are available.

Porsche drivers seem to prefer Pirelli Zero's for track use to the Yoko's Ricky has. Anyone got experience of these on a light car like the VX?

#37 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:44 PM

All I know is that Elise drivers hate PZeros with a passion, especially in the wet. Some say that they really need a heavier car to displace the water.

#38 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 28 May 2003 - 11:32 PM

P Zero's are hopeless in the wet, even on a Porsche, though they are "fairly" light at the front too of course. If you drive the car to a track alone with no other tyres, then rain is the risk you have to take. A Porsche friend was "water-skiing" down the autobahn to Hockenheim with me at 100kmh. He could not risk going quicker. :blink: But, at the track it was dry.... :ph34r: Certainly no way you could have them for everyday road use, especially in Britain :rolleyes: . Wear out too quickly too.

#39 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:41 AM

Tyre performance is very dependant on the car. Some tyres just don't suit certain cars for various reasons, weight being one. The P Zeros on my Volvo S60 perform very well. Grip is excellent both on dry & wet conditions. They do however tend to tramline a bit and wear is not as good as previous Dunlops. Can't have everything though!!

#40 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:53 AM

Tyre performance is very dependant on the car. Some tyres just don't suit certain cars for various reasons, weight being one.

Exactly. I found this with Imprezas.

And the P Zero is an old tyre now - superceded by the P Zero Rosso and now the P Zero Nero.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users