Photo

What Do People Pay For A Cambelt Job On A Vxt ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

i charge £450 for the C Service doing on a VXT, it includes the water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs etc etc 

worth considering if you are near me.

#22 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

I think there is now an 8 year service interval kit

8yr !! Jesus Christ

If you buy a beefed up cam-belt from RnD it will likely last a very long time (I think it's a Piper one or maybe Gates). The other part to check is that the idler pulley tension is good (i.e. not siezed) and check that it's plastic exterior is not cracked/worn.

If you have extra valve spring poundage or fast rising ramp angle on the cams then maybe a 4 year service interval is advisory. Having said that, I have both those items on my engine and have done a lot of miles, but haven't change the belt for about 5 years...

IMO, belts are good to run for a very long time in most instances. However, this is only IF they sit fully/completely on the rollers (i.e. and edge isn't slightly off a roller), that tension is correct and all the wheels/rollers it runs over are totally perpendicular. If any of those conditions are not met, the belt can disintegrate very quickly indeed.

Edited by Nev, 06 September 2019 - 06:09 AM.

#23 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Am currently considering buying a new Ford Focus TDCI 1.5 and I've just looked up the cambelt service interval on that is 10 years or 120,000 miles !! Good on you Ford.

Edited by Nev, 12 September 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#24 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Is that the 'Ecoblue' 1.5TDCI? If so then that's a 'belt in oil' system where the belt is inside the engine and being lubricated by the engine oil like a chain. With a special type of synthetic rubber that's suitable for oil immersion that how they reduce the wear and age-hardening/cracking of normal 'dry' belts.

However.. These types are often lot harder to get to/change though unless they made some specific provisions as you have to remove more bits and when refitting make sure it's all sealed again or it leaks oil... So may be good to ask the price for a belt change on these.

For many engines with chains driving the cams (with some exceptions like the Z22SE though  :P )  the access/labour is a non-issue as chains are not seen as a wear item and only get replaced if stretched (eg. Toyota, Honda, etc.) so replacement is something many such engines don't even need before the car is on the scrap-heap anyway..

Bye, Arno.

#25 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

It's the 1.5 TDCI Econetic, so sounds likely to be the same as the one you mentioned. Awkward internal access sound worrying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users