Photo

Do Lotus Owners Look Down On Us?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SParky77

SParky77

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Unhealthy interest in cars. VX220 makes it three. I need an intervention! Liverpool FC.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:22 AM

Don't know if been raised before, but asking as at the weekend I was enjoying being out in my VX220.  I spotted an Elise S2 coming the other way, whilst going through a small town centre, and gave him a wave.  Nothing in return.

Could it be:

a - He wasn't watching out for a wave and didn't spot,

b - Saw me but ignored (because in a Vauxhall and may only wave to another Lotus),

c - Saw me but not the waving type,

d - Wasn't expecting a wave and caught by surprise,

e - Did respond but was too late for me to notice,

f - Suppose may have seen me but not known the relationship with our cars and just thought I was some madman waving at strangers.

I've got (admittedly not driven for a long long time but being restored) an old Beetle.  When one aircooled VW driver passes another, be it Beetle, bus, Karmann Ghia etc we wave and always get acknowledgement.  

Even when I had an Alfa I got the odd wave.  Once a driver overtook me on the motorway and flashed their hazards as they went by. No other cars about.  I thought I had done something wrong.  Then realised, I'd only had the car a week, they were saying hello.  They were in a 159 and me in my Brera (which I no longer own).

I do admit before getting a VX I was looking at and test driving Elises, but after driving a VX I knew that was the right one for me. No badge snobbery here.

#2 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:47 AM

yes 

They know and they feel silly .........

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

Yes, the vx220 is the black sheep in the Lotus family, and that weird uncle in the Vauxhall family.

#4 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Varies, I've had some wave and some clearly not.

Same at the local Lotus drivers club, some will talk about the car, and the cash Vauxhall put into the s2 chassis, and some refuse its existence.

#5 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Those that know the history of the car don’t but those that just own a Lotus because it’s a Lotus do. Probably not helped by Lotus themselves appearing to want to disown the VX220 at times🙄

On the flip side, I used to go to a local Lotus meet back in 2002/3 and was welcomed with open arms and met with comments like “if you find your engine missing don’t blame us” They openly admitted that they were jealous of the VX drivetrain, but it was pre Toyota engine days.

#6 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

It doesn't really matter though, does it? There is always someone looking down at you, and the Lotus family are so odd that their opinion of the VX doesn't even matter.

I'll wave at no-one apart from another VX, and as I never see them out I'll not be waving anytime soon.

#7 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

I find most Elise owners give me a wave, although the badge is different we are all in that same 'bought a daft track car which gets wet inside, cold, and all manner of issues to deal with just to drive it down the road' club.

#8 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

As always, it’s down to the individual, but I read the chat forum on SELOC for amusement! Talk about willy waving - they look down on each other! 😀

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

Rather than been a conspiracy it might just be that he didn't see you? Some people do drive with the blinkers on a bit. I pass my sister in law quite often on my route to work and I can be in a bright yellow Exige and she hasn't seen me. It's almost like she could be concentrating on the road or something. 

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:49 PM

Waving at people in cars in 2020..... can you just help the police with their esquires :lol:

#11 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

Definitely an element on SELOC who look down on us, but all the Lotus owners I've met face-to-face have been good eggs.

Personally I'm usually too late to notice to wave back.

#12 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=9tXBC-71aZs

#13 martinf

martinf

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

I think it's more likely to be paranoia 😊. I regularly go out with the Club Lotus people and they're always interested in the VX.

Just last week, I waved at an Elise driver (nicely) and they duly gestured back with their headlights. I think, like most situations, there are a few numpties who tarnish the reputation of the majority.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

#14 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

I wave to and get waves/flashing lights from almost all Elises and Exiges.

I tend to wave to most small convertibles if they have their top down (MGFs, MX-5s, MGBs etc.) and have about a 80% success rate, and another 10% of those ones where you see the hand go up just too late as they've realised you're waving.

Jaguar XK8 convertible owners seem okay too.

I find Mercedes SL drivers give or acknowledge a wave, but SLK owners dont.

#15 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

Who cares.. Just wave at old people. They will wave back with a 85-90% success rate. Job jobbed.

#16 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:00 PM

I couldn't think of anything worse than some turd in a Lotus waving at me. Fcuk off and leave me alone 🤣

#17 ChrisO_VX

ChrisO_VX

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

Yes, the vx220 is the black sheep in the Lotus family, and that weird uncle in the Vauxhall family.

There's no the wonder I've owned two.

#18 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

I have a Lotus and a VX and hell sometimes in the Lotus other Lotus drivers don't wave to me! I've also been in my VX and been ignored by another VX.

Who gives a sh*t whether they wave back or not. Be the bigger person - wave and smile and just move on down the road smiling if they don't wave back. 

As for SELOC, at times there is so much willy waving going on I am surprised they have time for anything else. Some really nice people on SELOC but some of them are just well, not that nice.

#19 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

Basically weird cars atttracting weird people.

Nothing new there.

#20 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

Nooo…..

I´m 100% sure its an F.  :-)

Rather than been a conspiracy it might just be that he didn't see you? Some people do drive with the blinkers on a bit. I pass my sister in law quite often on my route to work and I can be in a bright yellow Exige and she hasn't seen me. It's almost like she could be concentrating on the road or something. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users