• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Toe links done hurrah! Felt nice driving home and attacking a few corners knowing nothing was going to snap thanks to some little toe link!

Thinking now another pre-emptive bit of work could be replacing the original rad (its on 65k miles). I am going to do it myself with my fathers help, socially distancing, with a couple of beers, on his driveway. I found a couple of threads on here talking about coolex rads (which cost around half the price of a pro alloy) which I am thinking of going for http://www.vx220.org...hese-radiators/ @fiveoclock seems to rate them, moreso than the pro alloy ones, anyone else put one into a turbo? How was the fitting?

#2 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

Anyone fitted one of these? https://www.ebay.co..../220565687681 

#3 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

Anyone fitted one of these? https://www.ebay.co..../220565687681 

Check with Max88.. Joe sells these.

#4 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but I don’t get the hype surrounding the widely perceived premature failure of rads. Mine is on c78k and seems perfectly fine and has outlasted the heater matrix which gave up on me a month or so back and has now been ripped out.

Personally I think it should be a case of if it aint broke don’t fix it you would have to be really unlucky for it to fail spectacularly without first showing some warning signs although it will be sods law when it does go it will be at the most inopportune moment.

#5 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Yeah its totally a pre-emptive thing. I have seen a few posts about peoples VXs going on the side of the road with the rads just popping. I also presume a leaky one will ultimately lead to head gasket failure? My dad retired a couple of years ago and is bored out of his mind. He seems quite up for doing it  :happy:  so who am I to argue! 

#6 Solid 5/10

Solid 5/10

• 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:51 AM

my rad had a small leak, had been topping up for 12months, didn't want to push my luck so fitted a black coolex over 12 months ago. Also used these https://www.ebay.co....=item4aeb807431 with stainless clips and its fixed with no issues. 

Seems hit and miss with the VX rad, my car was low miles, some were replaced under warranty, others get 80K+

Did consider replacing the heater and the toe eye when the clam was off but I didnt, go easy on the pre-emptive - could end up with a nut and bolt restoration. 

#7 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:47 AM

Well worth getting it done now before any issues develop. My radiator had also been fine for years (75K miles) but gave no warning when it went, no previous leaks or overheating issues, then pop!

Also, if you just happen to be in the fast lane of the A14 overtaking a line of lorries when it goes, by the time you can pull in and stop in a safe place, you could well be looking at a head gasket replacement too..  

#8 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

It wont be going nut and bolt restoration route....that would also lead to a divorce  :happy:

I have been focused on a number of areas to make this a very nice near to stock car, interior has been done, toe links, rad next. It will be in really good shape.

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but I don’t get the hype surrounding the widely perceived premature failure of rads. Mine is on c78k and seems perfectly fine and has outlasted the heater matrix which gave up on me a month or so back and has now been ripped out.

Mine had two replacements by Vauxhall in it's first 5 years and 29k miles. :wacko:

#10 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

Anyone fitted one of these? https://www.ebay.co....E/220565687681

Is that batman Joe?

#11 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Anyone fitted one of these? https://www.ebay.co....E/220565687681

Is that batman Joe?

Yep

#12 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Coolex are great radiators. I've fitted one along with quite a few others in the community and not heard of any failures. Unlike Pro-Alloy which are over twice as expensive I think.

#13 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, yeah looking at £175 vs nearly £400. For a low miles per annum road car it’s a no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

How much coolant is needed for a rad change? 

#15 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

My original broke at 35k and now I'm on to my second alloy one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users