• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:45 PM

Pop sock over the top end, orange squash bottle on the bottom end. Pure comedy. I've heard egg boxes on the rear bulkhead reduces cabin noise as well...

#22 madasahatter

madasahatter

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:50 PM

Purebob - on a similar topic i remember you did a mod to the bottom of the pipe which helped get warm air into the cabin??

Any chance of a piccy?? cheers

Thanks for bumping this topic - it is exactly the information that I need.

I would be very interested in any flow improvement/heat improvements that anyone might have for the ventailation - best to get them installed before the winter I figured.

BTW, not sure how many of you have tried this, but if you use RainX interior windscreen stuff, it is excellent at keeping the inside of the windscreen mist free.

Mad

#23 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:59 PM

I would be very interested in any flow improvement/heat improvements that anyone might have for the ventailation - best to get them installed before the winter I figured.

If I recall it was something to do with cutting a bit of plastic bottle that is vaguely funnel shaped and inserting it into the bottom of the pipe and the heater mechanism so that when the two come apart (mine are permanently apart) the heat and airflow doesn p*ss out into the bonnet bay.

Thing is, I can't get my hands down there past all the ABS pipework to reattach the pipe to the heater, let alone start inserting lemondae bottles.

#24 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:23 PM

jase, you don't need to. Comedy or not, once the insert is fitted (a length of drainpipe now replaces the squash bottle - though it worked well !) a 2cm flange is raised above the fan housing boss. The Silver pipe can be easily placed over this by opening it up and remote 'screwing' it onto the flange tightly. The Dash end can then be fitted with its pop sock and reattached. Result - dust free ventilation. Not exactly a Honda system but enough to demist the windscren in the rain at last !

#25 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:33 PM

Might give that a go. No offence to your mod though - I was referring to the general comedy of having to do this sort of stuff at all. Dont ya love it!?

#26 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:36 PM

I know jase its cool ! B) Note that the standard vent pipe just abuts the fan housing boss. its a 'touch' fit, so most of the fans work will always escape without some kind of mod.

#27 madasahatter

madasahatter

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:50 PM

I know jase its cool ! B)

Note that the standard vent pipe just abuts the fan housing boss. its a 'touch' fit, so most of the fans work will always escape without some kind of mod.

Perfick.

This sounds like a mod worth doing to my mind. Maybe one for the weekend.

Thanks for the added detail PB - Jase, if you get around to it before me, and it isn't too much trouble, could you post pictures?

Nice One. cheers

With any luck my heater might be :flame: after a bit of :beat: and :poke:

:D :D

#28 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 10 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

Am i being thick or dont i understand a word of that poof

#29 GR4ZZ4

GR4ZZ4

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 03:35 PM

Not exactly a Honda system but enough to demist the windscren in the rain at last !

Just don't breathe?! :o

#30 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:07 PM

Got to be the funniest thread ever! Or is it just me? I'll get me coat...

#31 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:24 PM

I know jase its cool ! B)

Note that the standard vent pipe just abuts the fan housing boss. its a 'touch' fit, so most of the fans work will always escape without some kind of mod.

Bob, are you going to Brunters? If so maybe you'd like to demonstrate to all us cackhanders exactly what to do... ;) Imnotworthy

What diameter drainpipe do we need?

cheers
James

#32 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

Wayne said that mine had already got some sort of filter fitted, but having read this, I'm not sure... Hmm, another excuse to play with the car! cheers

#33 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:00 PM

Its exactly this type of 'you can't do it wrong or break it mod' that will help me bond with my new car very quickly (when it at long last arrives). If it is something that all owners should consider and may benefit from then could somebody rustle up a guide? Also, if so many people are doing it, couldn't somebody speak to a Vauxhall contact and get them to make a more professional job in the first place? cheers

#34 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:20 PM

couldn't somebody speak to a Vauxhall contact and get them to make a more professional job in the first place?

more professional than an orange squash bottle?

#35 Mutt & Jeff

Mutt & Jeff

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Music, F1, Cars, Keeping Fit, Skateboarding with my boys & Red Wine

Posted 10 September 2003 - 10:19 PM

Talking about the heater, has anyone else noticed that unlike most cars where when the heater goes on max the water temp drops (when stationary....common fix if your car is over-heating), in the VX the water temp rises......! :blink: WHY?? :unsure: cheers

#36 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:57 AM

The fan probably pulls so much current the engine has to work harder!

#37 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:52 AM

While people do this mod, you might spot the real reason the car is called a 220. :jump: :jump: :jump: The windscreen water bottle holds 2.2L :groupjump:

#38 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:16 AM

Talking about the heater, has anyone else noticed that unlike most cars where when the heater goes on max the water temp drops (when stationary....common fix if your car is over-heating), in the VX the water temp rises......! :blink: WHY?? :unsure:
cheers

Probably has something to do with the way its plumbed in -

They run one a set of hoses from the engine to radiator and back,
AND another set from/to the engine to the heater matrix.... Which is about 10 cm away from the radiator! :blink:

Why didnt they just run from the radiator to the heater matrix?? Someone with so automotive design knowlwedge flame me!!

#39 P9 CJW

P9 CJW

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 12:57 PM

:D Howdy folks, Had read about this mod before picking up the car, so whilst at the dealers doing the pre acceptance inspection opened up the wee bonnet and to my amazement there woz already some sort of filter attatched!!!!!!! :jump: How cool??????? :groupjump:

#40 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:06 PM

Haven't actually checked mine, but if there IS a filter there, it's rubbish. Good job I'm a specky git B) or I'd have lost an eye by now....... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users