80 replies to this topic

#41 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 12 September 2003 - 01:08 PM

Glad you raised this one again. I was reminded that I hadn't done anything about it when I opened the vents yesterday morning to clear the windscreen (for the first time in months) and got showered in all sorts of crap. I used an air con filter cut to size as Ricky suggested (permanently borrowed from work :P ) and the dashboard end came off fairly easily working around a couple of tightly fitted pipes. Then I discovered ('cos I hadn't read the thread properly) that the other end isn't actually attached to anything. It just sort of dangles somewhere in the general direction of the blower unit so I decided to pull the whole pipe out to clear any muck out. I then began to wonder where this bit of ali ducting had been before someone attached it to my car. The state of it was awful with gouges in it and very out of shape. Trying to get the bottom end back somewhere near where it belongs isn't easy and to be honest this type of ducting went out ages ago - My boat has a ducted heating system and I replaced all this old-type ducting years back with insulated and far more pliable composite stuff. So I'm now going to replace this duct with some decent stuff as soon as I can lay my hands on a short length. Should make a huge difference with the efficiency of the heater as well as being much easier to handle.

#42 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:35 PM

bump. am attempting this at the minute. although the drianpipe i got is too small in diameter and the robinsons cordial we have is still full - wouldn't you believe it. skiddo drinking juice when not even thirsty.

#43 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:55 PM

done the bugger. here is my take on it. i found impossible to re-seat the pipe. i made the mistake of completely removing it to measure it against the drainpipe. what a dick. anyways i found that it was much easier (after i'd removed it) to fit the foil pipe to the drainpipe then refit it into the heater outlet. i used a downpipe connector cut down. used the smaller end into the outlet and wrapped a roll of electrical tape around the bigger end until it was a snug tight fit into the foil pipe. i can actually feel air against the windscreen now. the push of air from the outlet is actually really strong. i don't unsterstand how it loses so much along the way even after the mod. :blink:

Edited by skiddo, 29 October 2003 - 02:56 PM.

#44 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:54 PM

Skiddo, for future reference once you have your 'collar' in place, remotely screwing the pipe onto the boss becomes and easy fingerless task. Then the dash end fits on easily. You're right re: the pressure loss though. Its still strong at the dash end of teh silver pipe, its my guess the flaps behind the dash aren't seating fully so you get the power dissipated. Its much better though isn't it? It even clears the windscreen sometimes !

#45 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:09 PM

Was just checking the trickle charger on the Speedster this morning and discovered why my dash has inexplicably (until today :angry: ) been covered in cr@p again in the last few months.

The white popsock I had placed over the air feed pipe is no longer there.:blink:

Now that certainly did not happen by itself. It is clear to me that the grease monkeys at the local Opel garage had a good look over this rare (for them probably first ever) car when they did my timing chain in Autumn and the fcukwits obviously removed my modification. The fact that they has no authorisation to do anything other than the agreed procedures clearly did not stop them from taking the initiative. :beat: Initiative is normally a laudable characteristic, but with the small but important proviso that the person in question should preferably have an IQ somewhat higher than a mollusc (no offence to molluscs intended :D ) Also did not find it necessary to mention it to me.

:9mm: GM garages – so bad you could cry. :saw: On the basis of all the experiences reported on this forum (with a couple of notable exceptions in the UK that help give us the will to go on living), that would seem to be an honest, representative ad line for them.

I've refitted a popsock with less excess material aroung the edge, so next time the car has to see the inside of a GM establishment, there is more chance that it will come out in one piece without unrequested retrograde actions being taken.

#46 laidback50

laidback50

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

Hey guys, thanks a lot. I haven't laughed like this for a long time :P :P :lol: :lol: :P Stockings and drainpipe !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) This is too much. I reckon we could put together a pretty good stage act based on the fun stories of living with a VX :D This car just gets better. It drives beautifully, always makes me smile (& swear a bit sometimes I suppose), and now delivers a really lively, intelligent and good Sunday night reading web site. I think I prefer mine in stockings. I like stockings :D :D . Not to wear personally , you understand :unsure: :D Not sure about the drainpipe though. Tell me again, where am I supposed to stick it?? :blink: :blink: It's no good, I'm laughing again. :lol: :lol: I've got to go and lay down in a darkened room now. :D :D ;)

Edited by laidback50, 11 January 2004 - 07:21 PM.

#47 Mutt & Jeff

Mutt & Jeff

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Music, F1, Cars, Keeping Fit, Skateboarding with my boys & Red Wine

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:06 AM

Try a used Bounce sheet, fits a treat & makes your car smell like a tumble dryer for that full 'I've just climbed into a tumble dryer' effect :rolleyes: I change mine every 2 weeks...it's black every time! I find the filtration better than a stocking & it doesn't choke up the system like my foam pop-shield did. Oh, make sure it's a USED sheet or you'll die from the intense fumes!! :o ;) :D

#48 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:23 PM

... for that full 'I've just climbed into a tumble dryer' effect.

:lol:

#49 TangoAlpha

TangoAlpha

Mellita, domi adsum

• 6,885 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Computers, American football, Photography

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

Anyone recommend the best material for the filter? I've been a piece from an old pair of tights but it restricts the airflow too much :(

#50 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:16 PM

I've found that ANYTHING restricts the airflow too much. I just vacuum the dust, insects and small dogs up now. :(

Edited by Purebob, 17 March 2004 - 01:44 PM.

#51 caleebra

caleebra

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:05 PM

vacuum... small dogs

:lol: :lol:

To digress slightly, why do people bother with tiny dogs that are rather like rats on leads?!?

Edited by caleebra, 17 March 2004 - 06:06 PM.

#52 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:55 PM

At Nice Airport last Saturday every old nag and 40-watt starlet had a shivering, beribboned canine in a specially built handbag. My daft border collie wouldn't fit in hand luggage so perhaps the rich precious birds like these teeny critters to carry on their flights with 'em? Dunno. Personally I've never met a tiny dog with a nice personality, but I'm always willing to find one.

#53 laidback50

laidback50

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:05 PM

You try finding a rat with a nice personality then !!!

#54 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

Oddly, LB50, my sister in law has two very friedly pet rats. They come when called and eat food fom your fingers without biting you. I'd snap their diseased necks, of course, but friendly..yep. Must say so ! :D

#55 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:04 AM

Anyone recommend the best material for the filter? I've been a piece from an old pair of tights but it restricts the airflow too much :(

I've found that ANYTHING restricts the airflow too much. I just vacuum the dust, insects and small dogs up now.

I did mine recently as I got fed up of insects dotted on my dashboard.

I used an off cut from a window insect cloth filter mesh. It does not restrict the air flow at all, BUT it still lets dust through. Got the window kit from the door-door Betterware people. Being located in an insect infested part of the world, bugs drive me mad, so the window kits are a god-send!

As an alternative, the material used in those food pyamid covers would be just as good (maybe better).

#56 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:19 AM

Is mine the only car that came with a filter fitted as standard from the factory???

#57 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

newer cars have them fitted

#58 caleebra

caleebra

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

Anyone have a part number for this factory fitted filter? I fitted a bit of polishing cloth on mine to temporarily prevent the insect invasions but now I can fart more air pressure than the vents produce thumbsdown

#59 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Ive just read this thread and been out and bought a filter.... Went to the local electrical appliance shop, Modern Aids in Hazel Grove... and bought some Cooker Hood Grease Filters 23"x18" (they go in the extractor fan above the hob) more than enough!! its ideal i reckon.. It cost £6.60 I'll let you know how i get on!! Hope its the end of all the crap that fly's through the vents!! Cheers Nick

#60 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with that. I have a feeling it might be too restrictive on the airflow. I've given up for the time being and have closed all the dash vents for the summer...

Edited by jneill, 25 June 2004 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users