• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#1 elmo

elmo

• Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Masturbation

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

Hi i'm newish here spent a lot of time reading learnt a lot cheers! Had my VX na for a couple weeks now its my first car after passing my test so other than the micra my instructor had its pretty much the first car i have properly driven i'm new to driving well only 17 so i gotta start some where!. Anyhoo... Prpblem i am having is ocasionally when i go around a round about or a bend my car spins the back bit comes to the front and i'm facing the wrong way Luckily i live in a rural area so not much to hit. What should i do to stop this hapening as its annoying. Advice apreciated.

#2 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:02 AM

LOL, you are joking surely? :P

#3 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:02 AM

elmo IF you are being serious I would suggest you stop driving the car and get yourself some proper driver training - see track day section - before you do yourself / others some damage.

#4 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:05 AM

elmo

IF you are being serious I would suggest you stop driving the car and get yourself some proper driver training - see track day section - before you do yourself / others some damage.

Posted Image

Surely? wheres foxy when you need him :lol:

#5 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:06 AM

FFS thats the problem with linking images :angry: it wasnt that big where i found it :rolleyes: mods??

#6 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:16 AM

That's one BIG troll jules! Lets play a word game.... ELMO -------> MOLE sounds like TROLL .... or are we being a bit harsh.... :P

#7 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:26 AM

Maybe..... But yeah but , yeah no but...... :rolleyes: fingered round the back of the bike sheds etc etc

#8 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:20 AM

I was wondering wtf was going on here. I especially like the fact that spinning the car is merely annoying! :) Again: if you are being serious, first try not to use the accelerator as a switch ( as you have to in the micra) i.e, either on or off. Use progressive input and make sure you are going in a straight line before you put your foot to the floor. watch out for conditions. greasy or wet conditions are going obviously going to result in loss of traction earlier than in the dry. As such you should adapt your driving technique acordingly. As Robski said, there are plenty of driver training days you can attend with your car. I think i'd be saying this on behalf of most of the forum members: New members are key to keeping the forum alive, and are always made welcome. The forum however does not welcome hooligans that put themselves and other in danger, which it sounds to me is what you may be doing at the moment. be carefull out there. James P.s I hate to think what your insurance is charging you for the privilege of owning a vx at the age of 17!

#9 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

I think Foxy will have his head in his boiler trying to fix it. But I'm sure his Troll detection device will be along soon.

#10 elmo

elmo

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:51 PM

firstly whats a troll? And i am not a boy racer or drive really fast a lot of times when my car has spun i'm doing around 20mph which is still scary. You said to look at the trackday stufff i did it all seems to be about driving around a track really fast this wont help me. Also driver training is advanced driver traning with BSM what your talking about? Its what my instructor recomends. And why is me strugling with a car so funny? i have read tons of posts here about people having simmilar problems i've got the courage to go ahead and ask for advice and you mock me? And yes insurance is around 4,000 for me but my father pays for it so not a big deal. Thanks for advice.

#11 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

firstly whats a troll?

that is my hamster being greeted by housecat.... :P
...guess its name: ELMO :D :D

Attached Files

#12 Robbo SV

Robbo SV

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

And yes insurance is around 4,000 for me but my father pays for it so not a big deal. Thanks for advice.

You lucky git!

Just take it easy around bends, go into them slower, and then gently accelerate out
of them, once it warms up a little your tyres will work better and the surfaces will offer
more grip, allowing for more corner speed. I have yet to spin mine, however I have had
to give it a bit of opposite lock here and there to keep it under control.

Why don't you look at doing an advanced drivers course, they will teach you good car
control and using your head to read the road conditions, and analyse when
its safe to put your foot down. It takes a few years to build up some good judgement on
the roads but with a course you will give you a good head start.

A skid pan day would also be a valuable lesson, and will teach you to steer out of
trouble before you start doing 360's!

#13 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:20 PM

Elmo, if your dad had a bit more sense he would not pay your insurance, he would get you a decent, not to fast car and insurance. He could then pocket the change and not have to worry about receiving a phonecall that your car or worse has been destroyed. I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, it's just my opinion, nothing can really give you road awareness as much as experience behind the wheel. If i was loaded when i passed my test at 17, i would have bought something fast and probably would of had a big off. I would take Robskis advice, well if i was seventeen i probably wouldn't. :rolleyes:

#14 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

Personally im finding it hard to believe that a parent would buy his son a vx, spend £4k a year
insuring it....and NOT pay for a palmersport/first Lotus day....

Posted Image

Apart from that im pretty much in agreement with SamH

chinky chinky

#15 elmo

elmo

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

Got the car 2nd hand not brand new aint that lucky! I dont want to drive around in crappy nova's or clio's. Thanks for the advice will be a little more patient must admit i am getting better at it. Will check out skid pan days and try and do what you said robbo & JamesGray. Sam H i think your comments are very harsh my father knows what he's doing andi dont think i will kill myself i am not a risk taker drive well just having some handling issues but now i know a bit more i will be better. Also i have ABS and a air bag so i think i'll be ok if the worst happens. Not heard of those days (palmersports and lotus first) forgive me and my father for not knowing every single thing about the driving scene. Like i said i wont be seen dead in anything other than a current model rare 2 seater sports car! Can some one explain what oppostie lock is? cheers. Ricky, Jules, ian, robski I dont need social comments being made please fook of if thats all you want to do ta.

Edited by elmo, 20 February 2005 - 02:52 PM.

#16 Tomcat

Tomcat

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Lots of Stuff

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

Goon!!!!!

#17 willow

willow

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding and wakeboarding

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

Can some one explain what oppostie lock is? cheers.

God help us all :grouphug:

#18 Robbo SV

Robbo SV

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

Like i said i wont be seen dead in anything other than a current model rare 2 seater sports car!

Can some one explain what oppostie lock is? cheers.

You and me both mate!

Opposite lock is when you countersteer your car when it starts to slide...

Your 17 right... go and get a driving game on the Playstation (GranTurismo or even NFS Underground) and steer the other way when the back starts to slide.

Go find an old sierra, take it onto a field, and learn! The fun you will have, don't try it in the VX. Unless you want to take it home to dad in a dust pan and brush!!

#19 willow

willow

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding and wakeboarding

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

don't try it in the VX. Unless you want to take it home to dad in a dust pan and brush!!

Dam Right Robbo.

ELMO - The reason people have *shitty* Novas and Clios as their first cars is so they can thrash the sh*t out of them and learn how to drive a basic car before they get loose on something that potentially, in the wrong hands has, and will kill - if not you, the poor fcuker you slam into.....

I cant say anything about your age, im only 22, but i had the sense before i bought the VX when i was 14/15 to drive the cars in the fields to get used to everything and know what the car can do......

I cant agree enough with the others that say - get some instruction handling a standard car, then take that into the VX

Good luck fella.

#20 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

Like i said i wont be seen dead in anything other than a current model rare 2 seater sports car!

Well let's hope that isn't the case. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users