• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

Coolest elise I've ever seen!
thumbsup

i Agree, i'd love an early S1, which i wouldn't care too much about, get used to changing head gaskets etc...

#22 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

but it would have to be in that condition first or a CAT D or something, i couldn't do that to a well cared for well looked after one...

#23 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

anyone out there not rang Armoufend yet :blink:

#24 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

I guess when it comes to be sold it could be tarted up for not much money at all, a respray isn't that much if you know the right people.

#25 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:20 AM

but it would have to be in that condition first or a CAT D or something, i couldn't do that to a well cared for well looked after one...

Why not? You need to lighten up a bit.

A car like that is infinitely cooler than some tosspot who has all the original documentation in their original Lotus folder, the official Lotus gear stick cosy and genuine Lotus embossed golf balls. The only thing that annoys me about it is that it makes me feel like a complete lightweight.

#26 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:38 AM

i was looking at this last night actually, a 1997 S1 with 70,000 miles :o on it is on the trader for 8K ish. a cat D requiring 2 new clams and a bit of suspension work, nothing major is up for 5K on one of the salvage sites. Less miles etc. I recon i could get suspension parts and wheels for not very much say a grand or so, tape up the clams. That'll do. thumbsup a car that could go on the (sandblasting) scotish elise meet without a worry... all for about 6k...

#27 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

Im loving TUT's lizzie B) There's something about a thing of beauty thats been thrashed to fook Imnotworthy I see he's de-badged the front too, now there IS a first ;) thumbsup

#28 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:52 AM

I see he's de-badged the front too, now there IS a first ;) thumbsup

well it fell off anyway :D

#29 Wellus

Wellus

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Interests:GOLF<br>CARS<br>FAST CARS<br><br>ohh and GOLF i like GOLF

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

or for the really lazy ones :rolleyes:
Posted Image

what wax does he use. just look at the suns reflection off the bonnet.

#30 Rag_It

Rag_It

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

thumbsup Yeah fantastic car now with a Honda Type R engine in it, it was looking great on our scottish run last time we saw him! Dave

#31 Wellus

Wellus

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Interests:GOLF<br>CARS<br>FAST CARS<br><br>ohh and GOLF i like GOLF

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

thumbsup Yeah fantastic car now with a Honda Type R engine in it, it was looking great on our scottish run last time we saw him!

Dave

sh*t i bet that shifts!

#32 CupidKnewRap

CupidKnewRap

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

I'm told that with Tut behind the wheel most anything will shift :D The type R engine has a pretty funky tune to sing though and he pulls away quick ;). Wasn't in his group on the scottish run so can't comment on much else :rolleyes: Get the impression following that beast would have been an education though thumbsup

#33 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

I've seen Tut in action at Knockhill and he is really really quick. Andrew, you remeber the "green thing" from your first Scottish run??? (mental tuned s1 Sport 190) On the KH session I was at Tut kept complaining (tongue in cheek) that he was getting held up all he time !

Mind you he said that on the last VX run, only this time it was Scotty in a 340R :o Genuinely nice guy too, really would do anything for a fellow car enthusiast.

He's actually not been well of late, but he is now definately on the mend and Aberdeen will soon be alive to the sound of a tortured VTEC once again.

Two random facts for you;
1. He never wears shoes
2. He is insured with SAGA :o :D

Oh and here's the car from the back ! :lol:

Posted Image

I should point out that IIRC the front clam has ALREADY been re-sprayed. Now thats commitment. :unsure:

Edited by LazyDonkey, 23 August 2005 - 04:24 PM.

#34 ad172

ad172

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Driving

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:00 AM

That look great!! thumbsup There is something quite appealing when looking at the old Audi R8's after they have competed in Le Mans. This Elise has that!! thumbsup

#35 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

thumbsup Yeah fantastic car now with a Honda Type R engine in it, it was looking great on our scottish run last time we saw him!

Dave

sh*t i bet that shifts!

There's not much in it between my modded VXT and Tut's Honda engined S1 in terms of acceleration, so yes, it is pretty quick :) On the Highland roads, I wouldn't even try to keep up with him :D

At KH, my car, Tut's and Stu's green Sport 160 lap at a pretty even pace. My loses out a little on the twisty sections (extra weight, crap tyres) but shades it on acceleration up the hill (huuuge torque).

#36 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

Another couple of pics of Tut/Tuts car when i was at Knockhill Sept '02... check out the weathered feet!! :lol:

Top bloke, met him a couple of times... couldn't believe he drives and wonders around in bare feet!! does he ever wear shoes?!?!?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 Joss

Joss

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:01 AM

I like driving with bare feet when it is hot. But not walking about on tarmac!

#38 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:44 AM

Magnificent. That car should be used in Lotus advertising. BTW if lotus made a type R engined Elise for under thirty grand I'd buy one immediately. The only car I'd buy in preference would be a Renalutsport 182 engned Elise. Well, of course, a renaultsport engined NA VX ! :)

#39 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

Top bloke, met him a couple of times... couldn't believe he drives and wonders around in bare feet!! does he ever wear shoes?!?!?

I've met more than my share of eccentric, extremely talented folks who seem to like walking around (and performing their special skills) barefoot. I've been outclimbed by a Swiss mountain man who thinks grippy climbing shoes are a waste of time. I've been outrun in a 10K race by some barefoot nutter. Maybe there's something to it...

#40 tut

tut

• Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Road runs in Scotland, trackdays.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hi all An S_E friend just directed me to this thread, I had never read it before, so was quite touched to see the VX owners appreciating it as a well used Elise, as opposed to taking the pee out of it. I took it off the road last November for a well earned mechanical rebuild, and new clamshells etc, it has 145,000 miles on it now since I bought it in 2001, previous to that 3K in five years. As I am retired, not one of them was commuting, nearly all of them trackdays, Scottish Sprint and Hillclimb Championships, Scottish road runs, and 5,000 mile annual Stelvio events in the French, Swiss, Italian, Austrian Alps. After the 2005 Championships, which I would have probably won the overall Sprint Champion if I had not had to go into hospital for a spine operation, they banned me the following year from my Class. It would have not gone down too well to have a bare footed, OAP, disabled War Pensioner lifting the cup. There is nothing in the MSA regs that says you have to use footwear, but they tried at most events. As Dave said, it has had a Honda engine in it for three years, and is just in at present for a re-spray. Not that I wish to tart it up, but the old clams had lost their rigidity, and the ones that I bought from eBay were different colours. Twill of course still be Azure blue. As the rebuild took longer than expected, plus my friend copied my Honda conversion parts and converted his own Elise, in February I bought a '96 yellow LHD S1 that had been converted with a new Honda JDM engine last year, everthing upgraded for track and racing, for the silly price of £9,900. Lovely condition(sorry), and drives like a dream. I then bought a Jackson S/C kit from the States that a friend flew back for me, less than half UK price, so now have 300hp in 750 kg, and that is fast. Already done six trackdays around the country, and yet to be overtaken. Many thanks for digging the photos out, I did not have one of N1 TUT looking quite that berift of paint, I will post one up of her when she comes out from the re-spray. Of course she will then look just like any other immaculate Elise, but probably not for long. I plan on keeping both, and will probably add a S/C to my first love. You probably realise that unlike some, we treat the VX220 as a different looking Elise, and we are now getting more of them coming on road runs and trackdays with us, and it is great having them along. As Gary said, his 220R, which I believe is chipped to around 265hp, is one fast car, and it takes something like mine(NA) to match him. See some of you again at the next SIDC KH day on the 28th. Cheers tut ps any guesses to the new registration of the yellow car? Twas L111 LHD when I bought it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users