52 replies to this topic

#41 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Apparently its designed by default to run rather low levels of boost as it does not come with the built in intercooler hence the 200BHP rating.

#42 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

It supposedly comes with a remap, but it might well be un-suitable for the VX ECU. In that case, you'll need either courenay-sports' piggyback ECU + MAP or some custom set up... thumbsup

Would that really work or would you need a "custom" map to get it running. ?

I am dumb as a f*ck when it comes to those ECU's, maps etc.. As far as I'm concerned it should work with standard ECU - that's how much i know about those things :beat: :beat:

#43 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

I am dumb as a f*ck when it comes to those ECU's, maps etc.. As far as I'm concerned it should work with standard ECU - that's how much i know about those things :beat: :beat:

You can hack together a solution whilst maintain only the standard ECU by employing the services of an FMU. A Fuel Management Unit (FMU) is a mechanical component that controls and calibrates the fuel pressure while the supercharger is under boost. Hence it allows for higher fuel flow rates when the injectors are passing fuel to the engine, more fuel is delivered during each injector's open cycle. All done utilizing the standard ECU fuel maps. Primitive but it does work. You need to insure the fuel pump can deliver both the required pressure and capacity though.

#44 RWinstanley

RWinstanley

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

So does the manifold not include the Laminova chargecoolers fitted the Saturn Ion Red Line?

#45 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

So does the manifold not include the Laminova chargecoolers fitted the Saturn Ion Red Line?

gather it doesn't....

#46 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Apparently the part number for the kit supercharger manifold and the 2.0SC manifold are the same, meaning that yes, it does have the intercooler cores! thumbsup

edit: although i just read that apparently the intercooler cores are a separate part number again from the manifold - which may mean that it doesn't include them... :blink:

Edited by paulf-cam, 02 February 2006 - 09:50 PM.

#47 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

It supposedly comes with a remap, but it might well be un-suitable for the VX ECU. In that case, you'll need either courenay-sports' piggyback ECU + MAP or some custom set up...  thumbsup

Would that really work or would you need a "custom" map to get it running. ?

I made a mistake, actually - you can't use the courtenay piggyback or their map because they use an extra set of injectors which they work into the inlet manifold...

You would need a custom setup.

Now, if superchips software let you control timing as well as fuel, you could potentially stick some bigger injectors on it, knock the timing back a few degrees and stick the map sensor before the supercharger so it would only read vaccume and bobs your uncle... thumbsup

Of course, in an ideal world, the ECU would be adjusted to accept a 2bar map sensor and do it all properly and thats what the GM reflash which actually comes with the kit does, but its likely only for american ECUs.... :angry:

However, someone like Thorney is well set up to provide something here - his standalone ECU could be used to create a very nice map for the kit... ;)

Ta, Paul.

#48 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:29 AM

Of course, in an ideal world, the ECU would be adjusted to accept a 2bar map sensor and do it all properly and thats what the GM reflash which actually comes with the kit does, but its likely only for american ECUs.... :angry:

What i don't understand is why cannot we use the same ECU as Americans?
Cause of the throttle body ?
Isn't it simpler that we just buy the same throttle body as they use - install the wire for the pedal and go ? (if that's the case)

So what's keeping us from using their ECU (whole unit or map or..)?

#49 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:19 AM

What i don't understand is why cannot we use the same ECU as Americans?
Cause of the throttle body ?
Isn't it simpler that we just buy the same throttle body as they use - install the wire for the pedal and go ? (if that's the case)

So what's keeping us from using their ECU (whole unit or map or..)?

Good question. The only answer i can give right now is that i don't know. It may depend of a bunch of things such as air conditioning, power steering and all that crap.

Perhaps a well placed email to GM wouldn't go amis!

Ta, Paul.

#50 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

We´ll soon see how the American system looks and works. StephanB has ordered Ecu and harness to his Speedster. He already has the SC crate-engine, But figured that it would be easier to use the American setup.

#51 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Cars-VX220- Focus ST-Mini Cooper S - Bikes-Honda Hornet - Skiing

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Now he's selling the lot on this forum. Does that mean he gave up because it was too difficult? :(

#52 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

Now he's selling the lot on this forum. Does that mean he gave up because it was too difficult? :(

Thought he sold his car. Can't recall if the SC engine requires a change of flywheel. Best ask.

#53 cicastol

cicastol

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Apparently the part number for the kit supercharger manifold and the 2.0SC manifold are the same, meaning that yes, it does have the intercooler cores! thumbsup

edit: although i just read that apparently the intercooler cores are a separate part number again from the manifold - which may mean that it doesn't include them... :blink:

Laminova chargecooler should be installed in the supercharger kit but is not used and blanket with port caps as you can see here:
http://www.ny-jbodie...gerinstall2.asp

Probably this winter i will take this kit,IMHO i should able to run it with my SAFC II fuel managment unit for proper fueling,and a simple potentiometer to gain control of spark advance via IAT sensor mods.

Edited by cicastol, 12 September 2006 - 03:38 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users