• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

I cant get my scanner to work, i have pictures i can post or i can send them to somone else to scan or at the next meet you can all take it in turns to look under my dash :D

Hi,
I have an A4 scanner at work if this is large enough :unsure:
I'll PM you!
:)

#42 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

I cant get my scanner to work, i have pictures i can post or i can send them to somone else to scan or at the next meet you can all take it in turns to look under my dash :D

Would like to have a listen some time, get an idea of what it sounds like.

I am only down the road from you so when i get my car back will have to come and have a listen if thats ok.

cheers,

#43 MEAGY

MEAGY

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:59 PM

can you take measure mants mate just so i can get the MDF cut to the right size & trim it up myself please?

#44 da_murphster

da_murphster

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

Right I'm going for this, this afternoon - if anyone has rough sizes to prevent me spending ages measuring up would be much appreciated! How have u secured it in place? Are the two screw holes enough? I might rely on the screw holes and good old no-more nails tape.

#45 urbanmac

urbanmac

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

Got my new Head Unit today (Alpine with iPod Full Speed connection) and some front speakers to mount under the dashboard as on page 1 of this thread. Thought it was going to be easy to install but the speakers connector block on the vx is not fully pinned. So had to cut it off and attach a new connection block. Tomorrow I get the jigsaw out and make some similar mounts for the speakers!

#46 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Got my new Head Unit today (Alpine with iPod Full Speed connection) and some front speakers to mount under the dashboard as on page 1 of this thread.
Thought it was going to be easy to install but the speakers connector block on the vx is not fully pinned. So had to cut it off and attach a new connection block.
Tomorrow I get the jigsaw out and make some similar mounts for the speakers!

Cool, can you attach some pics when you're done - and Please Please Please post up a template :) chinky chinky

#47 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

Looks good, I think i'm going to go down this route. As for tweeters I have the "premium" :dry: sound system in my car so I already have tweeters mounted in the front sills. I think components for the front and decent co-ax's to replace the crap that's in now.

#48 urbanmac

urbanmac

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

Front speakers are now installed and working as is the new Alpine HU :D As I was guessing at making the mounts I started with a rectangular piece of MDF and then kept cutting bits off until it fitted up under the dashboard above the footwell. Once in place I marked on it where the hole for the spearker was to be and cut out. I then trimmed the MDF again to get rid of any excess. Then I repeated the process for the drivers side but this time starting off with the same mount shape flipped over as I used for the passenger side but had to make a few adjustments as the pedal mountings get in the way. Finally I covered them in some material I had and put the spearkers in and screwed them in place under the dashboar using the holes that are alredy there. Took most of the day to do :blink: All in all they are ok not great just ok. I could have covered them a bit better but I was in a hurry as it was getting dark plus you can't really see them anyway. I also found out Im crap with a jigsaw, although I did notice the blade was bent! I'll post some pics in a bit and I have drawn around the mounts I made so I'll draw them out in Adobe Illustrator and make PDF's of them later in the week and post them here. Howerver if you do use my "templates" please use them as a rough guide a mine are similar but not the same as the pictures on page 1 of this thread. :D

Edited by urbanmac, 03 December 2006 - 04:43 PM.

#49 urbanmac

urbanmac

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Left speaker mount
Posted Image

Right speaker mount
Posted Image

Left speaker mount covered - remember they are going to be facing downwards so flip them over in your head!
Posted Image

Right speaker mount covered - notice its smaller as the pedals mountings got in the way
Posted Image

Left in place - the wire bundle was cable tied to the car, I had to cut the ties to get the mount to fit in and move the cable across
Posted Image

Right in place
Posted Image

Edited by urbanmac, 03 December 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#50 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

What are you using to secure them in place? velcro or anything a little more substantial?

#51 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

got a template? I fancy making some carbon or glass-fibre mounts for some spare 10cm speakers i got

#52 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

templates anyone!!! Im choking to do this....

#53 richyroff

richyroff

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have a template from doing mine, worked it so its the same shape for both sides. Got the day of tomorrow so if no one has by then I'll do a dimensioned drawing and post it up. I did try and work a template for a larger speaker but there really isn't room! Mine are held in place by 2 screws through the existing holes under the dash (as sloow and urbanmac have used)

#54 benc

benc

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

do you reckon you could fit a 8 inch sub on the passenger side, up under the dash in the same place? - surely the reach, magnet to cone, can't be that much more than a 100m speaker? i am considering fitting a fibreglass encloseure to do this, i am hoping that with the passenger footrest in place then this shouldn't get too much in the way. although i would have to find another place to house the Alpine ipod converter box haven't had my head under the dash for a while so i might be well out but... any thoughts anyone?? ben

#55 urbanmac

urbanmac

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

What are you using to secure them in place? velcro or anything a little more substantial?

theres holes already drilled under the dash.

#56 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

Any templates? PLEASE

#57 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hey Nick, Premably your avatar is an archive shot?! :P

#58 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

OUCH yes Actually I changed onto the Airbus but I couldn't be bothered to change my handle. I only just got around to figuring out how to put a avatar online (we pilots are SLOW) :D The only good thing at the moment is I'm off sick So missing all the christmas fun at LHR

#59 urbanmac

urbanmac

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

If you are lazy someone is flogging these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#60 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

Nick, (With apologies for keeping this off topic.) Hope you get well soon and have a good Christmas. chinky chinky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users