#1 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Interests:My Civic Type R
    My Black Beast of a VX!!!

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

FAO - you turbo owners! I have seen that some of you have had a plate fitted that fits to the bootlid to displace any water to the spark plugs/engine. Does this fit the NA? I rang vxl Star City and they do not have any parts on the system and are going to ask the workshop for any advice. Cheers Chris thumbsup

#2 Pipo

Pipo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Computer, automotive technics, electronics, MTB, Alpine ski, playing keyboard.

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:02 PM

FAO - you turbo owners!

I have seen that some of you have had a plate fitted that fits to the bootlid to displace any water to the spark plugs/engine.

Does this fit the NA?

I rang vxl Star City and they do not have any parts on the system and are going to ask the workshop for any advice.

Cheers

Chris thumbsup

Nope, the rain-protection-plate developed for the Turbo doesn't fit the NA. But there is a similar plate for the NA available.

#3 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

Just had a phone call off vxl. It is a mod - and they are ordering it for me today it cost about £25. It was £77 fitted by the dealer, but im going to do it myself. He said that I needed to be very carefull as at on point I could drill through the bonnet if I go in to far!!!!

#4 ajussi

ajussi

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:17 PM

developed? it a bit of bent metal painted black. iirc it is actually a warranty fix isn't it, like the abs fix?

#5 Tolksee

Tolksee

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Interests:Naked women

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

Interesting - last I heard on this issue, the cover was only for the Turbo. Haven't known of an NA one. If you get one fitted to your NA, can you post back and preferably give a part number too. Cheers!

#6 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

Turbot one does not fit N/A - i have the holes in my engine cover to prove it when the Vaux monkeys tried to make it fit. The engine is too high compared to the turbot.

Vaux told me there was no water ingress fix for the NA other than a slight change to the seals on the coil pack.

#7 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

Lazy - It doesnt fit into your engine cover - it fits on the boot lid:-

DETAILS HERE

I WILL MAKE IT FIT :P

Edited by christurbo, 21 November 2005 - 02:16 PM.

#8 DrJ

DrJ

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

Had mine fixed on the turbot last week. It literally is a bit of bent black metal fixed to the boot lid but done under warranty.

#9 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

I meant the piece of fibreglass that opens to let you access the engine and boot. I've called that the bonnet before but then people get confused cos whats the front cover called. :blink: So i said engine cover. :P That is where the OEM turbot shield attaches to. End of the day we are talking about the same thing. Good luck with your fitting, but I have my doubts if it will work or not. Vaux originally told my dealer it would fit, it was only after they tried (drilling too fooking huge holes in said cover and scratching everything in the process) that they admitted it was turbot only.

Edited by LazyDonkey, 21 November 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#10 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

You are right - rang them to say it is for the Turbo. He said - im sure you coulf modify it to fit. So why doesn't it fit in the first place? :(

#11 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hmm, it does indeed seem like the "water ingress cover" only fits the Turbo - the TIS field remedy 1698 only mentions the Z20LET engine... :unsure: Chris: Have sent the instructions by mail, but since you have a NA (I only just realized that now :blink: you name confused me a bit - or is it because a turbo is on your wish list this year :poke: ..:lol: ) - I guess it won't be of much use :unsure:

#12 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

I really am going to have to change my avatar! Ive always had this username for all forums ive been a member of for years - easy to remember! :P Nope - had a choice between a T and an NA - prefered the NA. Thanks for the mail BTW bud thumbsup

#13 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Martin - just read the PDF. I cant see a reason why the T water ingress kit cant fit an NA???

#14 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

:rolleyes:

#15 Saber

Saber

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

Martin - just read the PDF.

I cant see a reason why the T water ingress kit cant fit an NA???

Eh, well maybe it will - maybe not :unsure: - but the field remedy is only targeted at the Turbo...
LazyDonkey mentioned that the NA engine it (sitting) to high... :unsure: Well, I don't know - I have a Turbo and it came with the cover fitted. I was wondering: is the engine hood the same on the NA as on the Turbo - i.e is the problem fitting the cover or closing the hood on a NA with the cover fitted?
Btw the water cover is made out of 1.5 mm aluminium, APPROX. outer dimensions are: L 435 mm x W 195 mm x H 20 mm. I can give you the exact dimensions if you need to do a precise measurement ;)

Edited by Saber, 21 November 2005 - 10:42 PM.

#16 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:55 AM

Not sure why you'd fit it? Never seen an NA with water in the spark plugs, they're simply not prone to it....whereas a VXT we serviced yesterday had an inch of water in the plugs :blink:

#17 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

I had to buy and fit new plugs as on inspection plug 1 had serious corrosion thus suggesting water ingress. Vxl have rung me saying that the full kit has arrived. Its only £25 so will try and modify it to fit my NA. Will let you know how it goes. PS... Im also buying the badass cover to cover the ECU and other bits. ECU's are not cheap! :P

#18 Eminator

Eminator

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

Not sure why you'd fit it? Never seen an NA with water in the spark plugs, they're simply not prone to it....whereas a VXT we serviced yesterday had an inch of water in the plugs 

Mine had water in one of the plugs. A few other people have had it too. I will probably just get some silicon out and seal the unit - any reason not too?

#19 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

Its only £25 so will try and modify it to fit my NA.

Will let you know how it goes.

that'd be great, i've often pondered the same ;) thumbsup

#20 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:25 PM

No probs..... ! BTW AntB hows your accelerator pedal sensor? has it failed recently? [read your posts from ages ago] Eminator - I wouldnt advise applying silicone around the large plastic bit that holds the coils, I dont think It would do much as there is a huge gap to the right! Maybe OK for the small pack held in with the torx screws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users