• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

I'm yet another owner that has converted from the K&N 57i kit and I can definitely say that difference between the two isn't just the price. For the money (about £90) I was always quite happy with the K&N, there was some noise and the car reved a bit more freely. THe ITG on the other hand is very noticable, definitely louder (especially when it howls at about 3500rpm), it's a more throaty and deeper sound than the K&N. As for power (or in any case percieved power) this is probably the first mod I've ever had done that has a real noticable effect, the car does seem to have more grunt. I'm amazed! As for the fitting, it is quite straightforward but the instructions could have done with some diagrams or photos. I've reproduced them in a pdf with my own pictures so I'll see if I can get that added to the "DIY car care" section. The most awkward part of the fitting is probably refitting the wheel arch liner (which incidentally is shot to pieces in my case. My wheels are fouling the top of the arch :( but that's a whole different thread) Getting the air sensor out of it's plug and into the new one is also a bit of a struggle. Anyway it's on now and it's great thumbsup PS: Regarding the discussions around the filtration of the K&N, the cone is horribly filthy after about 20,000 miles but the inside is still spotless. I quick wipe inside with a white cloth showed nothing at all inside the cone.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ITG.pdf   256.79KB   161 downloads

#2 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:43 AM

So to summarise you think the ITG isn't worth the money and i have no need to invest £400 and remove my K&N Phew :P :poke:

#3 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:52 AM

So to summarise you think the ITG isn't worth the money and i have no need to invest £400 and remove my K&N

Phew  :P  :poke:

:D Well I did blanch a little after spending £390 (delivered) on an air filter, that's a lot of money. So to say the ITG is 4 times as good as the K&N may be pushing it a bit too far. You pays your money ;)

Also I think with any mod you've spent your hard earnt on it's difficult not to get some placebo effect and imagine how good you think the difference is :rolleyes: I'd like to get the car on the rollers now and see what it's doing. It was 168bhp last time but every RR I ever go on get's slated for being inaccurate so who knows :)

Edited by iandhd, 28 November 2005 - 09:53 AM.

#4 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Ian, how firmly held is your airbox assembly? I put the elastic strap around it but everything still seems very loose. I suspect the elastic in my strap has perished? (PS. I'm also loving the little whooshing sound you get under acceleration!!)

#5 RichH

RichH

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

Ian, In your guide you say that there is no point in pointing the cold air feed forward towards the intake as you won't get any ram air effect. Is this from trial and error? I can see that keeping as much water and dirt from the filter as possible is a good thing but that aside, is there really no ram air effect? The reason I ask is that I'm putting a cold air feed onto my viper soon (it was missing when I bought the car). Rich

#6 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

The angles aren't right for a RAM air effect. you would need something like the turbot ears to scoop the air inwards. I've had mine fitted for a couple of months and love it. I too had a K&N before but I got my ITG 2nd hand (like new) for 210quid :D Bargain!

#7 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:10 PM

Ian,
In your guide you say that there is no point in pointing the cold air feed forward towards the intake as you won't get any ram air effect. Is this from trial and error?

That's part of the ITG instructions so I pointed mine down as much as I could. Seems to work for me.

#8 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Ian, how firmly held is your airbox assembly? I put the elastic strap around it but everything still seems very loose. I suspect the elastic in my strap has perished?

(PS. I'm also loving the little whooshing sound you get under acceleration!!)

Didn't seem loose, I guess your strap has gone a bit saggy :P How a bit of duck tape?

#9 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

I only used one bracket with my install. I didn't use the one that looked like a hatchet... just used the one with the elastic. Wasn't entirely sure where teh hatchet one should go, but it works fine without it.

#10 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Ian / Lee do you think its possible to fit this without removing the wheel? If so i can fit it myself, if not ill have to go and annoy dario and borrow his nice big driveway :D

#11 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Ian / Lee do you think its possible to fit this without removing the wheel? If so i can fit it myself, if not ill have to go and annoy dario and borrow his nice big driveway :D

Its getting the old airbox out thats the problem.

I took my K&N off and fitted the ITG, just through the top, didn't take the wheel off at all.

So if you can take the old filter out through the top, the the ITG is a piece of p*ss to fit.

#12 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

I took my K&N off and fitted the ITG, just through the top, didn't take the wheel off at all.

So if you can take the old filter out through the top, the the ITG is a piece of p*ss to fit.

Excellent - thansk for that chinky chinky

Cool, its a K&N thats on anyway so ill give it a blast tomorrow.............although im still not sure where the elastic bracket thing goes......im sure all will become clear once my hangover wears off :drink:

Edited by LazyDonkey, 27 May 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#13 ANOTHER SP30

ANOTHER SP30

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

I got my ITG from Hanger 111, 12 months interest free credit so for anyone thinking that £370 ish is a bit excessive for an induction kit then this way means you don't even think about / notice the cost!! ITG plus remap certainly makes a difference!

#14 sworks

sworks

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

It says on their website that 0% is for orders of £500 or above. How long ago did you buy yours? Cheers Chris

#15 ANOTHER SP30

ANOTHER SP30

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

ahhhh. I got mine almost a year ago and I think the minimum order was £400 .

#16 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

Any hints and tips on how to get the b*starding c*nting air sensor into the hole that is BLATANTLY TOO FCUKING SMALL would be gratefully appreciated :beat: :9mm: :angry: :beat: thumbsdown EDIT : Off out for lunch. Answers for me coming back please :P :D

Edited by LazyDonkey, 29 May 2006 - 11:24 AM.

#17 wil_scotland

wil_scotland

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Footy, cars, drinking. Just the usual!

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

What is all this moaning about Lazy??? What is the problem, I thought it should be fairly simply to swap it since you have a K+N. Did you get a header tank yet?

#18 pugwhizz

pugwhizz

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

you can

needs to come out in two halves

the bolts are a bit fiddly to get to, but easier than drilling out the bolts (and buying new ones) that hold the arch liner on cos they were just spinning :angry:

#19 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Any hints and tips on how to get the b*starding c*nting air sensor into the hole that is BLATANTLY TOO FCUKING SMALL would be gratefully appreciated :beat: :9mm: :angry: :beat: thumbsdown

EDIT : Off out for lunch. Answers for me coming back please :P :D

Heat the hole with boiling water or a hairdryer to make it slightly more malable.

#20 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

cheers mr pops I'll try that tomorrow night - to be honest i only had a hour and a bit window where i wasn't running about daft today and i wasted most of that trying to get the b*starding K&N bracket off. When the sensor wasn't a 5 min job to put in I just gave up and put it all back together again. :angry: Picking up the header tank tomorrow will, fancy giving me a hand since you're the expert ??!?!? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users