• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 crsnwby

crsnwby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:13 PM

This is the address if this helps, copy & paste?...

http://www.eurogamer...ticle_id=128714

Nah its the ISA server blocks out any sites on the non work list... specially with the word game in em..

#22 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

Got it today. Have been playing it this evening. Brilliant. Got the Honda Integra to start with – good choice thumbsup Have earned lots of credits and won several cars already. Had to buy the Nissan GT-R and Elise 111R :) Strangely, although both the GT HD demo and the Japanese Prologue demo ran replays smoothly, in Prologue it is jerky occasionally – seems strange –don't know if I've got some option set wrong?

#23 TimMather

TimMather

• 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

Used to be a GT fan, now play this (www.liveforspeed.com), honestly you'll wet yourself, graphics aren't great but the physics engine is unbelievable, spend £150 on a steering wheel for you pc.

#24 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

Must say that i Put this in laste night 20min install wtf is that all about if the 360 doesnt need to do stuff like this then why does the ps3! then a 30-40min update! on the day of release! then played it. Its pretty Well modeled But a bit too perfect, everthing is shiny and new, the tarmac is super smooth the car never looks anything other than museum condition. Then you get to the driving. I put this to no asists manual and "professional" physics. engine sounds nice and the views are how i like it, in car etc. get to the first corner...... omg.... FAKE tyre squeel thats basicaly one wav file thats 1 second long repeating itself over and over for the entire corner... Bags of understeer no matter what car you drive, no over steer here! feels like the car is on rails! if you go in a bit too fast you understeer off the track. the roalling starts are complete sh!t! why would a professional race rolling start!? i say this because one of the races is a fast oval and you get put in 4th but by the time you start the race the 1st place is quarter of the way round the track and the only way of cating up is by having a faster car and not being a faster driver! basicaly i played 3 races got bored and put forza on... im not joking (oh and im not a 360 fan boy btw its just the way it is)

#25 crsnwby

crsnwby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

I was a bit dissapointed by the engine they used being the same old... but once you get some better cars it feels alot faster and better... the integra and other cars you get first are crap... stick with it... Also stick to the 720p or 1080p resolutions as the 1080i res seems to run slower....

Edited by crsnwby, 29 March 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#26 james141

james141

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

I am thinking of getting a PS3, tescos are doing them for £299 with GT5 prologue. Is that a good deal? are the likely to be sold out?

#27 A2UL69

A2UL69

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

I am thinking of getting a PS3, tescos are doing them for £299 with GT5 prologue.

Is that a good deal? are the likely to be sold out?

GAME

Play

HMV

thumbsup

#28 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

I put this to no asists manual and "professional" physics.
engine sounds nice and the views are how i like it, in car etc.
get to the first corner...... omg....

FAKE tyre squeel thats basicaly one wav file thats 1 second long repeating itself over and over for the entire corner...

Yes, it's true that the sound file is always the same – someone once said they got it off an old Yank saloon – very possible. Not great – but not the end of the world. And it only squeals when you are reaching the limits of adhesion and burning rubber. When it squeals, you are leaving a smoke trail too. You don't have to drive like that, but it's fun (see my clips below for smokescreens).

Bags of understeer no matter what car you drive, no over steer here!
feels like the car is on rails!
if you go in a bit too fast you understeer off the track.

That is simply not true! It depends what car you are driving – earn enough credits to buy the Nissan GT-R and try that with all aids off in sim mode (or even an M3 or even the 135i) – you will be off the track backwards before you know what's happened! I speak from experience! :D

the roalling starts are complete sh!t! why would a professional race rolling start!?

Rolling starts are not unheard of in the real world ;)

one of the races is a fast oval and you get put in 4th but by the time you start the race the 1st place is quarter of the way round the track and the only way of cating up is by having a faster car and not being a faster driver!

The idea is that you have to use skill :o (slipstreaming, good lines) to beat the others! ;) The Integra R is all you need to win this in the Beginners' Cup "C". But, once you've got some credits, I can recommend the Imnotworthy GT-R. It is fantastic - especially when you lift off to loosen the tail and tuck the nose in then get back on the power to take it through in a 4-wheel drift – poetry in motion!*

basicaly i played 3 races got bored and put forza on... im not joking (oh and im not a 360 fan boy btw its just the way it is)

Well, they say Rome wasn't built in a day – a little more patience to learn the cars and tracks would soon be rewarded. (The idea is that you have to achieve a certain level of competence in the game by completing this before you can go online).

In less than one day I've got all the trophies in all three beginner's sections now apart from the 2 last Jap 300bhp ones in part A ( struggling with an Evo IX) and still need to buy a US car for the specific race.

Then I can go online and get annihilated! :unsure:

* I've not made any clips of Prologue yet, but here's one of mine from the Jap Prologue demo. GT-R all aids off, full sim mode:

Suzuka, starting from 8th out of 16 (rolling start!) 1st lap, in-car view:

>In-car, 1st lap<

Second lap – clear track - time to "dance"! Outside view. If you watch and listen, you'll see it only squeals when smoke is emitted. Glad I'm not paying for the tyres :P
>2nd lap. Outside view<

Edited by speedyK, 29 March 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#29 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Ouch, those Youtube videos look shocking! Is it that wheel that's at fault or is there really ~150ms delay between driver input and on-screen response? I remember playing PC games over a 28k modem 10 years ago and getting less lag than that! Hope the final game is better, that certainly doesn't inspire me to buy a PS3...

#30 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I reckon the 20 - 30 min install + updates is because it's installing the whole game to the hard drive. The only reason I say that is because you can buy and download the whole GT5 Prologue from the PS3 site. Save going out to buy it, but it's a fiver more expensive than Game are selling it. :angry:

#31 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and Holidaying in exotic places with my wife.<br /><br />Racing, defence related stuff, karting, seeing unusual wild-life while on holiday, sci-fi, Ufology.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

So how does all that install and download lark help people like me, that don't yet have a wireless or internet connection anywhere near where the PS3 would live? :unsure:

#32 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

So how does all that install and download lark help people like me, that don't yet have a wireless or internet connection anywhere near where the PS3 would live? :unsure:

Well you could get out of the dark ages and get wireless ;)

I think you only need the downloaded updates if you want to play it online - single player will work fine without having the PS3 internetised.

#33 Kip'n'Srin

Kip'n'Srin

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:Ex VX owner

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

I thought the same thumbsdown Just to play the game you have to download an update and like everyone else approx an hour after failing 3 times!!!!
So far though I've enjoyed the game as its some old GT story. Nice graphics and enjoyed the inside the car view thumbsup
More playing will reveal more. I also had to buy a Netgear modem and wirefree thingy for 45 squid thats attached upstairs on the pc so I can play the PS3 downstairs. HTH chinky chinky

#34 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Ouch, those Youtube videos look shocking! Is it that wheel that's at fault or is there really ~150ms delay between driver input and on-screen response? I remember playing PC games over a 28k modem 10 years ago and getting less lag than that!

Hope the final game is better, that certainly doesn't inspire me to buy a PS3...

The videos are from the free downloadable Prologue demo. Prologue is improved in various ways. The clutch actually works properly with the Logitech G25 wheel now and the forcefeedback can be adjusted – far better with it on maximum now (with the larger Elise wheel that I replaced the G25 one with, this is especially welcome).

I've completed all but the last race* in the Beginner cups (you have to do this to play online).

* Still got to find another 2 seconds with my F430 – it's a toughie!

For a PS3, broadband access is ideal. You get info about all the latest news and updates - so convenient. I've got mine on a wireless set-up. Will see how effective it is when I play on line. If it is too slow, then an ethernet cable from a router will be the way to go.

#35 lusovx

lusovx

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:CARS! <br><br>Oh, and music also (amateur jazz guitar player), reading (lots). But let me say one more time...<br><br>CARS!

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

One question, what's the sound like? Everybody focus on graphics, sound is always neglected. IMHO it enhances massively everything that is trying to reproduce the real thing. From what I've heard in a store demo it sounded artificially crap just like all the other games including GT4. I'm not GT bashing as I to buy Playstations mainly for GT playing :happy:

#36 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and Holidaying in exotic places with my wife.<br /><br />Racing, defence related stuff, karting, seeing unusual wild-life while on holiday, sci-fi, Ufology.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:30 AM

Well you could get out of the dark ages and get wireless ;)

I think you only need the downloaded updates if you want to play it online - single player will work fine without having the PS3 internetised.

Yeah I guess I should Snoop!! :lol: Probably next month, I want to get a router anyway, so I can also have the Wii connected.

Is Wireless much slower then? I thought they were the same? If I go for ethernet cables to from upstrairs to downstairs (complete opposite ends and corners of the house), does the signal degrade with longer cables?

#37 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

One question, what's the sound like? Everybody focus on graphics, sound is always neglected. IMHO it enhances massively everything that is trying to reproduce the real thing. From what I've heard in a store demo it sounded artificially crap just like all the other games including GT4. I'm not GT bashing as I to buy Playstations mainly for GT playing :happy:

The sound depends on which viewing mode you are in. I always use the "in-cockpit with dashboard view", so the sound is as it would be from within the car. I am using a fairly weak 5.1 surround sound system, the Logitech X-530. When I pass an F430, it does have the Ferrari sound coming through my "closed windows", but it doesn't seem to have quite the soul-stiring depth to its howl that a real one does on track. When I drive an F430 in the game, depress the clutch and blip the loud pedal, I also miss a real sonority – though, unfortunately, I haven't driven a real one to say for certain how it sounds from within the cockpit. Slightly disappointing, but still a superb game.

Since I replied about the "only understeer complaint" made above, I have driven the Ford GT. That car is simply impossible, in my hands, to drive with TCS off. I had to switch it on to stay in contact with the rest of the pack. The F430 is also too wild with everything totally off. You just have to get into the game a bit before being able to drive these cars.

Psyching myself up for another attempt in the F430 – still need to find a couple of seconds to complete the last Beginners' Cup.

Edited by speedyK, 31 March 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#38 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

This game will be traded in, dont like it. its not good enough to call itself the "real driving simulator"! edit to say that Forza 2 is head and shoulders above this!

Edited by Crimson_Killa, 31 March 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#39 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Can't argue with the graphics, but for simulation fidelity, Live for Speed is where it is at:

Probably the best tyre model in a simulation short of an F1 team's internal work (heat, wear, deformation etc.). Certainly not pretty, and the cars are fictional, but it's incredibly good. Hard to believe it is the work of three guys. One does sound, one does environments and that leaves just one guy doing all the physics work. His project before this was "Black & White", where the most he modeled was barrels being thrown around, so this really came out of nowhere.

#40 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Is Wireless much slower then? I thought they were the same? If I go for ethernet cables to from upstrairs to downstairs (complete opposite ends and corners of the house), does the signal degrade with longer cables?

There's no simple answer to the question 'is it slower or faster'. It depends on what level of wireless technology in use, and what level of cable technology in use. However, rest assured that the slowest wireless stuff you can easily buy these days is still much faster than the fastest broadband connection you can easily buy these days - so don't worry about it :)

I'd definitely choose wireless simply for convenience - there is no technical problem running a cable from one side of the house to the other (unless you live in Buckingham Palace), it's just a hassle and looks ugly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users