Gt5 Prologue

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

So how does all that install and download lark help people like me, that don't yet have a wireless or internet connection anywhere near where the PS3 would live? :unsure:

So your PS3 is not connected to the internet EVER? You will probably have software updates needed for the PS3 straight away. My last one was only a couple of days ago.

I haven't got my PS3 yet, I'm awaiting the money to clear from a Paypal refund. I should get one by the weekend. Until I get a wireless router set up, can I just take the console up stairs and plug into the modem box and use the computer monitor?

I've been watching the video's that have been added to youtube lately for GT5 and it really does look the DB's!!

Yep. You'll probably need a non-standard cable though eg HDMI (PS3) to DVI (PC monitor). By doing this you'll get HD quality visuals (providing the monitor is up to the job) but you'll need to run the sound through separate speakers. You can download updates via a PC onto a memory card and then upload the data to the PS3 via a card slot on a 60GB PS3, or on the 40GB version, I think you'd need to plug the card into a card reader and plug that into the PS3 via one of the usb slots as I don't think the 40GB version has card slots built in (I could be wrong on this though as I have the all singing all dancing 60 GB version!)

#62 A2UL69

A2UL69

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

So how does all that install and download lark help people like me, that don't yet have a wireless or internet connection anywhere near where the PS3 would live? :unsure:

So your PS3 is not connected to the internet EVER? You will probably have software updates needed for the PS3 straight away. My last one was only a couple of days ago.

I haven't got my PS3 yet, I'm awaiting the money to clear from a Paypal refund. I should get one by the weekend. Until I get a wireless router set up, can I just take the console up stairs and plug into the modem box and use the computer monitor?

I've been watching the video's that have been added to youtube lately for GT5 and it really does look the DB's!!

Yep. You'll probably need a non-standard cable though eg HDMI (PS3) to DVI (PC monitor). By doing this you'll get HD quality visuals (providing the monitor is up to the job) but you'll need to run the sound through separate speakers. You can download updates via a PC onto a memory card and then upload the data to the PS3 via a card slot on a 60GB PS3, or on the 40GB version, I think you'd need to plug the card into a card reader and plug that into the PS3 via one of the usb slots as I don't think the 40GB version has card slots built in (I could be wrong on this though as I have the all singing all dancing 60 GB version!)

:yeahthat:
And you're right, there's no card reader on the 40gb.

7DAYSHOP

thumbsup

#63 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and Holidaying in exotic places with my wife.<br /><br />Racing, defence related stuff, karting, seeing unusual wild-life while on holiday, sci-fi, Ufology.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Cheers Guys, to be honest I'd be happy to suffer without updates until I get the wireless router sorted, especially if I'll need to get more cables and stuff. I ordered my PS3 last night from Amazon, should get it by 1pm tomorrow, I got the GT5 package with a free HDMI cable (PS3 to TV, not sure if that will plug into my monitor as Cookies220 suggested above), and I got Assassins creed for £15, so with the delivery for tomorrow the whole lot came to £314. I can't wait!! :groupjump:

#64 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Cheers Guys, to be honest I'd be happy to suffer without updates until I get the wireless router sorted, especially if I'll need to get more cables and stuff.

I ordered my PS3 last night from Amazon, should get it by 1pm tomorrow, I got the GT5 package with a free HDMI cable (PS3 to TV, not sure if that will plug into my monitor as Cookies220 suggested above), and I got Assassins creed for £15, so with the delivery for tomorrow the whole lot came to £314.

I can't wait!! :groupjump:

Managed to tear yourself away yet? I've completed Assassins Creed - awsome graphics.
Thinking of going into town tomorrow to get GT5 Prologue. Is it worth it?
BTW if you wanna play online, you'll HAVE to upgrade, but I'm sure you'll find that out as soon as you plug in :rolleyes:

#65 A2UL69

A2UL69

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Er, YEAH! I'm not a big GT fan, but I can't stop playing this version! Most people on here seem to like it though.
You can also download it now through the PSN for £25, but I think you're better off having a "hard" copy. thumbsup

EDIT - I've just realised I'm now a Super Member :groupjump: , when did that happen?? :D

Edited by A2UL69, 04 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#66 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and Holidaying in exotic places with my wife.<br /><br />Racing, defence related stuff, karting, seeing unusual wild-life while on holiday, sci-fi, Ufology.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Cheers Guys, to be honest I'd be happy to suffer without updates until I get the wireless router sorted, especially if I'll need to get more cables and stuff.

I ordered my PS3 last night from Amazon, should get it by 1pm tomorrow, I got the GT5 package with a free HDMI cable (PS3 to TV, not sure if that will plug into my monitor as Cookies220 suggested above), and I got Assassins creed for £15, so with the delivery for tomorrow the whole lot came to £314.

I can't wait!! :groupjump:

Managed to tear yourself away yet? I've completed Assassins Creed - awsome graphics.
BTW if you wanna play online, you'll HAVE to upgrade, but I'm sure you'll find that out as soon as you plug in :rolleyes:

Guess what, with all my woes for getting this damn console the couriers totolly fcuked up, my console is currently t the wrong end of the UK!!!! To say I'm not happy would be an understatement, I've been refunded the extra delivery charge from Amazon (I paid extra to get it by 1pm today), but won't have it now until they deliver it to work on Monday. So I have Assassins Creed downstairs with a free HDMI cable, but no PS3. :angry: :flame: :beat: :9mm: :saw: :dry: rant

#67 A2UL69

A2UL69

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

Man that's harsh, but looking on the bright side, you'll love Mondays! :rolleyes: Good luck for when you get it thumbsup

#68 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

thumbsdown Thats a damn shame.

#69 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Man that's harsh, but looking on the bright side, you'll love Mondays! :rolleyes:
Good luck for when you get it thumbsup

That's if it comes today, I'm not holding my breath!!!

thumbsdown Thats a damn shame.

To be honest with you, with all the hassle I've had trying to get a 60gb (and getting ripped off) then gettting a 40gb, as cheap as possible, I starting to think someone is trying to tell me something!!

But we'll see, it'll come eventually, I'll just have some catching up to do as far as GT5 practice goes!!

It's a real bummer having Assassins Creed and an HD cable at home with nothign to use them on!!

#70 Kip'n'Srin

Kip'n'Srin

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:Ex VX owner

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

To be honest with you, with all the hassle I've had trying to get a 60gb (and getting ripped off) then gettting a 40gb, as cheap as possible, I starting to think someone is trying to tell me something!! But we'll see, it'll come eventually, I'll just have some catching up to do as far as GT5 practice goes!! It's a real bummer having Assassins Creed and an HD cable at home with nothign to use them on!! [/quote] When you get it, you will find it frustrating as all the previous GT games. The way you have to do all the simple races to get to the point of being able to tune your cars. The in-car view is great thumbsup Let us know what you think when you've played it...........what else can go wrong :lol:

#71 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hate to say this, but having completed the A, B and C cups and unlocked the S cups, I am really disappointed with GT5 Prologue.

I just hope that, if enough people complain, some things will be revised for the full GT5 game.

Firstly, in full sim mode with all aids off, the Elise 111R has virtually no grip – front or rear – it is simply ridiculous. The Ford GT and, to a lesser degree, the F430 are also far too ready to oversteer.

It is not that my input is limited by using a controller, as I am actually using a G25 wheel in a cockpit. The "real driving simulator" feel which was actually quite good in pro mode for the VX and Elise in GT4 has gone seriously wrong! :(

Furthermore, the penalties in races are stupid. E.g. if I am on the racing line and an AI car that has spun out ahead simply lunges back onto the track and thereby takes a side swipe at me, I get a penalty - er, no, I don't think so!

I've left GT5 Prologue for days on end only to come back and give it another chance, but it simply is not right. An real Elise does not slide off the track while Evos, etc. hurl through the same corners without issue – in fact, it is quite the opposite – an Elise or VX will waste almost any other road-legal car in the corners – including track specials like Porsche GT3s.

I even tried the option of driving in "standard" mode as opposed to the full sim mode – but the reactions are too impure. It is not how it should be.

Unless Polyphony change these aspects for the full game, I may be forced to consider going for a PC driving sim :drink: – something I thought I would never have to do with the power of the PS3

GT5 Prologue – after promising so much – for me at least has failed to deliver.

Edited by speedyK, 07 April 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#72 ricer

ricer

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hate to say this, but having completed the A, B and C cups and unlocked the S cups, I am really disappointed with GT5 Prologue.

I just hope that, if enough people complain, some things will be revised for the full GT5 game.

Firstly, in full sim mode with all aids off, the Elise 111R has virtually no grip – front or rear – it is simply ridiculous. The Ford GT and, to a lesser degree, the F430 are also far too ready to oversteer.

It is not that my input is limited by using a controller, as I am actually using a G25 wheel in a cockpit. The "real driving simulator" feel which was actually quite good in pro mode for the VX and Elise in GT4 has gone seriously wrong! :(

Furthermore, the penalties in races are stupid. E.g. if I am on the racing line and an AI car that has spun out ahead simply lunges back onto the track and thereby takes a side swipe at me, I get a penalty - er, no, I don't think so!

I've left GT5 Prologue for days on end only to come back and give it another chance, but it simply is not right. An real Elise does not slide off the track while Evos, etc. hurl through the same corners without issue – in fact, it is quite the opposite – an Elise or VX will waste almost any other road-legal car in the corners – including track specials like Porsche GT3s.

I even tried the option of driving in "standard" mode as opposed to the full sim mode – but the reactions are too impure. It is not how it should be.

Unless Polyphony change these aspects for the full game, I may be forced to consider going for a PC driving sim :drink: – something I thought I would never have to do with the power of the PS3

GT5 Prologue – after promising so much – for me at least has failed to deliver.

Wow, interesting stuff speedy.

You have always been the die hard GT supporter, and now the game has disappointed you too, that kind of sucks. Lets face it, no driving game is perfect, but GT had such a brilliant start, and now after years of development in an industry that is already asking itself questions about the driving game genre, it rolls out another lacklustre iteration of the franchise.

For me, the first video I saw when I heard that bloody awful tyre squeal (the same damn noise that was acceptable on the PS1 is NOT cool on the PS3) was kind of a warning, I have not as I planned to, gone and bought a PS3 and now I am thinking of waiting for the full game before I even consider purchasing it.

Damn shame, I was so looking forward to this too.... :angry2:

#73 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

PCs are cheap these days... thumbsup

Edited by Ferguson, 07 April 2008 - 04:12 PM.

#74 timmyp

timmyp

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Golf, Anything with an engine.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Ok. I'm getting pretty f'd off with GT5 now, the games great, but I've been trying since the day of release to download the update which will allow me to play online and every time it gets to around 40% and fails. Has anyone else found this :angry: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

#75 danVXT

danVXT

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Gadgets / Gym

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ok. I'm getting pretty f'd off with GT5 now, the games great, but I've been trying since the day of release to download the update which will allow me to play online and every time it gets to around 40% and fails.

Has anyone else found this :angry: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

yep, but you also have to complete the challenges as well first if you haven't done that?

#76 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

funny that everyone is coming round to what i said as my first impression of the game now after a week..... :groupjump:

#77 Kip'n'Srin

Kip'n'Srin

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:Ex VX owner

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Ok. I'm getting pretty f'd off with GT5 now, the games great, but I've been trying since the day of release to download the update which will allow me to play online and every time it gets to around 40% and fails.

Has anyone else found this :angry: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

yep, but you also have to complete the challenges as well first if you haven't done that?

I only completed a few races and was playing on-line?????

I know what everyone means about it not being as good as expected but there is always going to be hype :poke:
I've still only got to the S-cups and haven't managed to play with too many settings yet but at the moment, my view is that it's not as near to good as I thought it would be thumbsdown

It's ok for a few mates to get round and have a :drink: and compete with each other but not being able to play against mates on-line really sucks!!!
The real game will have to be much better :angry2:

Kip, still giving it more chances :blink:

#78 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Speedy - I only played it in a shop for 5 mins but that's exactly what I found. I drove the Elise and it was sliding everywhere. Example. -Enter a given corner at 80mph and the car would slide across road onto the grass. -Enter same corner at 60mph and the car would still slide across the road but not quite as much so you's actually make it out of the bend. Fine -Enter the bend at 30mph and the car would easily make it round but still be sliding (with tyre squeal noise) and requiring opposite lock on about a quarter throttle. Absurd. In real life, a 60 mph bend taken at 30 would not generate any tyre squeal and the car wouldn't be going sideways - you'd just drive round comfortable with full traction. I have no idea what mode the game was in when I tried it or what aids were on/off but it just felt daft. It's a shame there isn't a high end wheel for Forza at the mo. I have the Logitech DriveFX which is good but not G25 good.

#79 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

I've been playing with the set-up some more.

In pro mode with all aids off it is a real handful even with everything adjusted to try to reduce oversteer. Coming out of a high speed corner, the car is still very keen to screw itself into the inside barrier – a real skating on ice kind of experience but a lot better than the off-the-shelf set-up you start with.

I've spent some time playing on line now* – first time I've ever done this. God there are some morons out there! So many times I've been leading (through driving cleanly) then braked for a corner only to have some brain-amputated cretin just ram me off and leave me spinning while the pack shoots by. I've even caught up only for it to happen again in the same race. Also, there are so many unsporting characters who make Schumacher look like a saint – one bastard even tried to shove me into the pit lane at the entrance – but I'd seen him do it the lap before to someone else, so sold him a dummy! :P

For the above reasons, I've realised something that hadn't really troubled me when just racing against AI:

Online racing would be hugely better if there was a damage engine – the 5 sec "slow" penalty is not enough to dissuade these ram raiders – they need their suspension to collapse when they hit the armco at 150mph thumbsup

Trouble is, it probably won't make GT5 in 2009 – though Polyphony have said it is coming "soon", so maybe, just maybe...

*In the online games, you can't tune the cars, but the 111R with "standard" physics engine (GT4-like) as opposed to "professional" (aka no chance!) and traction control set to half strength, it is quite fun to race – and you can keep it together – unless you get rear-ended by someone who doesn't believe in brakes :rolleyes:

So, half-term report for GT5 Prologue:

He is clearly capable of much better work – if only he would apply himself. Hopefully, he will make the effort to achieve the results that he needs next year.

Edited by speedyK, 08 April 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#80 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Well guys, I have to say, having finally taken delivery of my PS3, that I'm loving GT5, the graphics are truly awsome (it detected my TV at 1080p, so that's what I'm using, I thought the TV was only 720p). I've doen a few races, bought a Cappucino (for the required events), but started with the Integra TypeR. I'm going to start a follow on thread out of interest. I'm no driving god, and don't like games that are too realistic (apart from FPS's), I like to go on drive like a loony and progress through the game, things like Live for Speed drive me nuts, because I'm not very good and don't have the time to dedicate to improve. So, for me GT5, get's a huge thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users