• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#481 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

Heya mate, hope all is rosy thumbsup I actually sold my short shifter, as decided I'd simply cut down the stick if needed, the supercharger is likely to add more heat to the engine bay, so I'd rather avoid touching any part of the gear linkage if poss going on other peoples experience :) I did consider the engine mount bushes, how many did you fit, one pair or two :unsure: Did they add much vibration tho - I've been out in joes car with them fitted and it gave it a real race (read teeth chattering) feel :lol: Though they did seem to be doing the trick :) Might take you up on that beer too thumbsup

#482 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

I did consider the engine mount bushes, how many did you fit, one pair or two :unsure:
Did they add much vibration tho - I've been out in joes car with them fitted and it gave it a real race (read teeth chattering) feel :lol:
Though they did seem to be doing the trick :)

Might take you up on that beer too thumbsup

I fitted both a few months ago and could feel the vibrations more but it was only really while just setting off, and wasnt a bad or annoying feeling.

Made a big difference to throttle response though, just driving along and going on and off the throttle feels alot more responsive

#483 petrolhead1

petrolhead1

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Heya mate, hope all is rosy thumbsup

I actually sold my short shifter, as decided I'd simply cut down the stick if needed, the supercharger is likely to add more heat to the engine bay, so I'd rather avoid touching any part of the gear linkage if poss going on other peoples experience :)

All the short shifter on the gearbox does is shorten the travel required to engage each gear at the gear lever. IMHO it should not be affected by extra heat but a shorter lever would have a similar effect.

I did consider the engine mount bushes, how many did you fit, one pair or two :unsure:
Did they add much vibration tho - I've been out in joes car with them fitted and it gave it a real race (read teeth chattering) feel :lol:
Though they did seem to be doing the trick :)

I fitted one but now wish I had fitted both of them. As Zoobeef says above a bit more vibration at tickover but nothing to worry about. I have bored for Britain on this one on here but to save you searching. They hold the engine in place much more which makes gearshifts easier and takes load off the two side mounts making them last longer.

thumbsup

Proud of myself today as I have just swapped the suspension for a standard set with 40k less wear thanks to MartinS for his OE set.

Next job will be to fix the window rattles.

Edited by petrolhead1, 14 July 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#484 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

MrSimba very kindly came over today to give me a lesson in how to use the random orbital polisher I bought. The paint wasn't too great to start with but after using an outdoor cover (NEVER AGAIN!) it was utterly covered in swirls :(

So I bought:
DAS6 Pro polisher
Full set of 4" Sonus pads and backing plate
Some Dodo wax
A pack of 4 different Menzerna polishes
Some Black Hole glaze

All for less than £200 from cleanyourcar thumbsup

So, some before pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a couple of 50/50 pics of the boot

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back quater before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#485 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

And after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorted out some fairly heavy marks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even had a little go at wet sanding using 2500 grit - was down to the fibreglass before filling - lesson for next time is to use more paint as it still needs filling in further!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better than a white mark tho :)

#486 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

These clams do suffer from swirls greatly comapred to most cars, im assuming its just soft paint from factory rather than the fact they are fibreglass. Great results mate, you can make a fortune from doing this if youget the trust and build up a customer base chinky chinky

#487 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yep, the paint was amazingly soft! Just need to build up many layers of wax :) Still got 7/8ths of the car left, just wanted to experiment first :)

#488 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

From

Posted Image

to

Posted Image

and with another pass and couple of coats of wax will look even deeper and better! B)

The car is as you said in need of some TLC but a couple of days put in now will have it looking amazing and with very little 'aftercare' needed to keep it that way :)

Polished up really well especially as said the paint is like cheese...

*Glad you liked your pax ride! ;)

#489 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Lots more elbow grease required yet :D

*Glad you liked your pax ride! ;)

Awesome Imnotworthy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users