• 10,060 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

finished 

Posted Image

i did both 

Posted Image

painted my heat shield in heat resistant paint so you cant see the silver through the clam 

Posted Image

i started putting the fuel rail in and noticed that for whatever reason my MAP sensor plug wouldn't reach, so i had a fiddle about and noticed that one of the injector plug wires were snapped, so i decided to open up the loom because when i first did the wiring some 5 years ago i remember wrapping them in electrical tape so i thought since im here i might as well re-solder them and heat shrink the joints.. 

i found this. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

im going to strip it all back and start again with all the joints :) 

currently sat like this ! 

Posted Image

#342 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

How on earth did the car run with a snapped injector wire, surely you noticed when-ever it was that you last drove it?

#343 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

Chris use the Tesa loom tape to wrap the wires cheap on Ebay

#344 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

today i tackled the wiring and because i had to split most of the connections apart i thought i might as well re-route them. 

Posted Image

not sure how this will work but i covered the AFR plug in Nimbus to reduce the heat getting to it. 

Posted Image

i found online some "Milano" Alacantara with a foam backing so i thought i would try and cover the inside of my hardtop.. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#345 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

How on earth did the car run with a snapped injector wire, surely you noticed when-ever it was that you last drove it?

well, the last time i drove the car was the last national, or to be more precise "to" the last national, the car cut out on me and i lost everything would turn over or anything so i had to be towed home .. i think it had been loose and when i started messing about it must of snapped.. but they were all corroded as you can see in the pics, very turquoise corrosion on them.. 

i removed every trace i could find and re-did every connection this afternoon. 

#346 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

Chris use the Tesa loom tape to wrap the wires cheap on Ebay

I do. :) 

#347 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

Glad that loom atrocity will be fixed, did the previous owner have a TC system installed or something? BTW, wrapping Nimbus around remote objects (like your AFR plug) won't stop convective heat warming them up, shields like Nimbus are only useful against radiant heat sources.

Edited by Nev, 24 September 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#348 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

Glad that loom atrocity will be fixed, did the previous owner have a TC system installed or something? BTW, wrapping Nimbus around remote objects (like your AFR plug) won't stop convective heat warming them up, shields like Nimbus are only useful against radiant heat sources.

the previous owner owned it over 10 years ago... it was totally bog standard when i bought it. 

If you are looking at those tiny wires they are the water injection wires. 

#349 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

I dont need the dash off anymore so i thought i would clean it and stick that back in. 

Posted Image

next job is to clean out this shitfest.. :

Posted Image

Posted Image

im going to find a way of nicely putting the return pipe up and out of the way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

arches back in and the front just needs the bells & discs putting on which are in the final stages of being made.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and i gave one side a quick wipe down, then i decided i couldnt be bothered so finished for the day :) 

Posted Image

[Edited on 24-09-2017 by chris_uk]

#350 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Looks like she should be ready for next year, lots of work gone in to this Chris Any plans on track days or competition next year ?

#351 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Looking good Chris keep up the work. It's easy to loose motivation half way through, especially if your fixing them day in day out. Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#352 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Looks like she should be ready for next year, lots of work gone in to this Chris Any plans on track days or competition next year ?

competition, no. i have no desire to compete, just from relatively short time in time attack i just cant be arsed with the hassle. 

track days however, yea i will hopefully do a couple next year, i have some interesting things i'm going to do with aero etc so i'm looking forwards to testing those out. I plan on doing a couple euro trips when they pop up.  

#353 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

Looking good Chris keep up the work. It's easy to loose motivation half way through, especially if your fixing them day in day out. Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

tell me about it, currently doing a massive re-build on that black turbo and i get confused sometimes what i've done on what.. i have to double check everything! luckily that project is coming to a close and i will be able to concentrate on mine :) 

but your right, after 12 hours at work, the last thing i want to do when i get home is open my garage up and start tinkering.

#354 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

this weekend i set about making a custom water tank with a mate. 

we had to design a tank which : 

Holds 5L of water or more 
Sit in the sill for lowest centre of gravity (the pump is a heavy lump)
Gravity feed the pump
had surge protection built in for the output. 

with all these things in mind i sat to in my garage and created a couple of designs of tank, lots of drawing and measuring and chatting with steve and we came up with a concept which ticked all of the boxes.. 

Some  of the early designs. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

I went to steves armed with the mockup and a final idea and we set to on Friday morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cut more pieces, and tacked into place. 

Posted Image

had a quick trial fit

Posted Image

Posted Image

final design

made a baffle for the float sensor, wasn't needed but it will stop the G forces effecting the indication.. just makes it a little more accurate. 

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22141141_10155715525052731_685587711728458597_n.jpg?oh=f0e9ca0741faa95b4b1c0cc03fb1dfef&oe=5A447A74

baffle and mount plugs welded in place. 

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22045937_10155715524977731_636862906706832559_n.jpg?oh=4ee83a25f183220a1aba4957cee6374b&oe=5A4CACFA

hopefully this is the quality of the whole tank once its finished..  going to brush the finish and try make it look nice. 

[img]https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22195364_10155715524972731_4252149286515146563_n.jpg?oh=c114341724cac30cd2e142035d2a1cb0&oe=5A80E867

unfortunately the gas ran out on us and we had to call it a weekend. 

Made from stainless steel you would think it weighs close to that of a cruise liner but in reality the whole tank weighs less than a bag of sugar.. using 0.7mm stainlesss sheet really helped on the weight saving and it is super strong!  Total capacity not including the filler neck piping was circa 6.2L 

#355 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

That looks a great job. You must be pleased? You could bead blast it for a nice satin finish all over.

#356 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

That looks a great job. You must be pleased? You could bead blast it for a nice satin finish all over.

to be honest we'd not really thought about how were going to do the finish on the tank, my immediate thought was a high grit sanding on an orbital or some such as its free (ill use steves stuff :P) but media blasting sounds like it could be a good idea :) 

cheers.

#357 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

had a little bit of time in the garage today waiting for someone to turn up to look at the signum so i thought i would have a clean up.. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#358 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

new brakes are here! 

Crabash and myself decided we wanted some proper brakes, we did lots of research and came to the same conclusion that Alcon are currently the best rotors on the market.. so between us we got all the dimensions etc and i did the drawing on CAD (thanks to Sutol for titivating it) and had Gaz at spitfire machine and anodize them up all in all i'm quite proud of the project :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

saved 11.06 kg over my worn discs, compared to new i save over 14kg! 

Edited by chris_uk, 09 October 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#359 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

thumbsup

#360 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

a couple weeks ago me and a friend started making out new water tank and it started to turn to sh*t as we were just not doing things properly. so we decided to start again, taking what we learnt from the first one we did a couple things different and i think we have ended up with a better result. 

this was the old pump mount face which we didnt cool and it just warped like mad. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

when we re-did it but this time made sure we had loads of cooling. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users