• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

Well... If I buy some new ones, then the old ones will be ok... If I don't you can bet your life I'll end up having to cut em off and spend the rest of the day trying to source some!!! So even if I don't use them I'm going to make sure I have some ready!

#22 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

My MOT test highlighted that there was possible rubbing/touching between the OSF shocker and the upper mount.
I will get the wheel off and try to make some more space in the mount.

Mine looks exactly like the following pics too...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

My MOT test highlighted that there was possible rubbing/touching between the OSF shocker and the upper mount.

Nitron sell a revised bracket, tho may be hard to get them to sell it without a shock kit

Alternatively a gentle tap with a hammer at the lower part (ie below the relief hole) will move it a few mm's :)

#24 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Nitron sell a revised bracket, tho may be hard to get them to sell it without a shock kit

Alternatively a gentle tap with a hammer at the lower part (ie below the relief hole) will move it a few mm's :)

Just finished fitting mine, thanks for the 'how to' Adam thumbsup

But my 'gold's' came with an extra 'locking' adjuster on the height adjustment so even when slightly bending back the mount the shock body fitted fine but when assembled the height could not be fully altered so it was out with the Dremell...

Anyone fitting them save yourself a few hours of swearing and just take about 5mm off each side of the mount, fits perfect then with no touching and plenty of clearance for adjustment thumbsup

chinky chinky

#25 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Cool B) What size springs were the fronts supplied with - I have 8" at the mo and they're at the very top of the shock to achieve the height I want :unsure: Did Gaz provide two pairs of slightly narrower bearing spacers for the lower rear wishbone mounting points :)

#26 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

All the spacers were the same size but fitted ok with a 'little' persuasion! I did'nt measure the spring length but 8" sounds about right if your running the car low it will be at the top of the shock, going to let mine settle for a few days before getting the ride height set so will have a better look then. chinky chinky

#27 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

All the spacers were the same size but fitted ok with a 'little' persuasion!

Ahh maybe it's just mine then - I ended up taking about 1mm off the overall width to get them to fit snugly

#28 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

I would suggest a change: I have inserted the front lower bolts the other way round to give easier access to the drop link nuts.

Standard is like this but I would insert the bolt from the other side.
Posted Image

#29 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Mandarin for the guide - as I have fitted my gaz gold today. I would have never tried it without. Here are some pictures of my adventure.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh and the carpet is an old bit from my mums for the garage.
Steve.

#30 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

chinky chinky

#31 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Mandarin for the guide - as I have fitted my gaz gold today. I would have never tried it without. Here are some pictures of my adventure.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh and the carpet is an old bit from my mums for the garage.
Steve.

What spring rates did you go for?

P.S. what is the cutout / mesh in the liner for? chinky chinky

#32 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

What spring rates did you go for? P.S. what is the cutout / mesh in the liner for? I have gone for 425 front and 550 rear. Behind the mesh is a 13 row thermostate controlled oil cooler. Steve.

#33 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

P.S. what is the cutout / mesh in the liner for?

I have gone for 425 front and 550 rear. Behind the mesh is a 13 row thermostate controlled oil cooler.
Steve.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with those spring rates. 550 for the rears seems stiff!

#34 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

I'd be interested to know how you get on with those spring rates. 550 for the rears seems stiff!

imo it's a bit much, I'll be changing back to 500 shortly :)

#35 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

This is a great guide and something that is heading towards the top of my looooooong list. The only bit I didn't like was the bit "while your in there give it a good clean". Give over, have you gone soft or something!

#36 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

I have gone for 425 front and 550 rear. Behind the mesh is a 13 row thermostate controlled oil cooler.
Steve.

imo it's a bit much, I'll be changing back to 500 shortly :)

Don't forget I have a turbo, which as you now weighs a little more than an na :gayfight: . The ride is fantastic alot better than standard set up with only 14,000 miles on them and now I have finished playing with the ride height. (110 to low and caused bump steer :D ) I have read posts on here where people have used 600 on a turbo without problems, but I am going to stay with 550 as the roads around Norfolk are not always the smoothest. Going by advice on here and after a drive to my sisters (she has the worlds heighest speed tables) I am riding 130f and 140r. It does not look as cool, but at least I have lost bump steer and can get over the speed bumps. :rolleyes: I am playing with the shock settings and I am currently at 5 front and 8 rear from soft and when I get the spitfire kit from muncher I will be off to Northamptonshire for a geo.
I love this site, without it I would have never had the balls to fit the gaz's (thanks to mandarin Imnotworthy ) I would not know which springs to have gone for and would have hated the suspension as I didnot know what bump steer was. :rolleyes: I am truely humble to be part of a great group of people. Imnotworthy Imnotworthy
Thanks again

Steve.

Edited by Whiteboy, 26 August 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#37 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

Steve.

I would love to see T20 again. :wub: Would you be interested in a meet after I have had the geo done and you could see for yourself how good/bad the set up is for your needs.
Steve.

#38 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

Steve.

I would love to see T20 again. :wub: Would you be interested in a meet after I have had the geo done and you could see for yourself how good/bad the set up is for your needs.
Steve.

Yeah definately up for a meet. thumbsup Thanks for the offer of a poke around your vx. Just can't leave Moonland alone eh ;)

P.S. Do you have to be called Steve to have a Moonland :lol:
Steve

#39 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

I will give you a pm when I know dates. I just wish I had not sold the T20, but then you would not sell it back to me. :gayfight:

#40 rcvaughan

rcvaughan

Ex-VXer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Interests:Work cars: Play cars

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Just finished fitting mine, thanks for the 'how to' Adam thumbsup

But my 'gold's' came with an extra 'locking' adjuster on the height adjustment so even when slightly bending back the mount the shock body fitted fine but when assembled the height could not be fully altered so it was out with the Dremell...

Anyone fitting them save yourself a few hours of swearing and just take about 5mm off each side of the mount, fits perfect then with no touching and plenty of clearance for adjustment thumbsup

chinky chinky

Sorry Mr Simba, I'm struggling to understand what needs trimming off of where!? Could you help me out please (preferably with pictures) as will be fitting my golds soon. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users