that first picture has mg on it

its magic joe....

#22 MEAGY

MEAGY

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

any pictures of bracket and measurments or someone that van make these brackets?

I have all the measurement for the calipers & brakets......but they are all in my head!

on a less possitive note i threw my diagrams out the other day.

#23 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

that first picture has mg on it

its magic joe....

i like magic :)

#24 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

I have all the measurement for the calipers & brakets......but they are all in my head! on a less possitive note i threw my diagrams out the other day. thats ok just post your head over and ill download the info from it :rolleyes:

#25 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

these are my brackets, I would advise to use countersunk bolts to hold the bracket to the hub

Posted Image

#26 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Nice. Is the hole spacing on the left 18 or 19mm?

#27 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

How sexy are these??!!?? Posted Image

#28 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

looks like 18 to me. so just to make this clear the bracket bolts onto the old caliper positions and new one into the smaller holes? then fit new caliper with hoses and new brake disc? looks like a good upgrade for the price so what calipers have you / thinking of fitting to rears? The calipers above would look really nice

Edited by robin, 23 April 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#29 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

the calipers also require machining, a good machinist will be able to do that I paid about £50 for both calipers to be machined the above drawing has overspray from my door panels, but yes it's 18mm

Edited by vocky, 23 April 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#30 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

My only suggestion would be to chop a great big hole out of the center, say 80x20mm with round ends. Save a little weight. thumbsup

#31 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

My only suggestion would be to chop a great big hole out of the center, say 80x20mm with round ends. Save a little weight. thumbsup

Take it from me that would be a very bad idea, that piece of 10mm plate will be highly stressed as it is a hole that big in the middle will prob cause it to fail pretty quickly.

#32 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

the calipers also require machining, a good machinist will be able to do that

I paid about £50 for both calipers to be machined

ah, i couldnt understand how lugs could be held on radially with a flat bracket! thumbsup

What grade steel did you use?

#33 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Take it from me that would be a very bad idea, that piece of 10mm plate will be highly stressed as it is a hole that big in the middle will prob cause it to fail pretty quickly.

It is steel, and the half-circle ends are very important. That part of the plate is only being used as a shear web. The half-circle ends will leave enough reinforcement of the corners, which otherwise would be the weak point. Of course the last thing that you want is sharp inside corners . . .

#34 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

these are my lightened brackets, I would recommend using countersunk bolts to mount the bracket to the hub.
I had to get some recesses made in the caliper to clear the bolt heads

Posted Image

the modified caliper

Posted Image

Posted Image

in case you were wondering, the mounting bolts are fitted first then the caliper bolts

Edited by vocky, 24 April 2009 - 06:36 AM.

#35 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

fantastic vocky thumbsup

#36 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

cheers for further pictures that helped was trying to work out how you fitted them. few questions if you dont mind 1 drilling through the caliper for new mounting is this through a existing hole if not does this not weekend the caliper? 2 is the braking improved significaly? 3 what mode you done to rear calipers and is there any unbalance in braking? 4 how long have you been running this setup? thanks

#37 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

1 - the new mounting holes are where AP would put them. I used the AP caliper drawing for the exact position. 2 - the brakes are similar to standard, just they don't get hot like the two pots. 3 - rears are the standard calipers/discs with mintex 1144 pads, the fronts have mintex 1144 pads too. I haven't noticed any issues with the brakes. 4 - I fitted them last year, probably done 1000 miles or so.

#38 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'm doing this. I spent half an hour on the miller this afternoon at work. Its possible to make these fit directly to the hubs like the 800quid cp7600 from Seriously EliseShop Parts. The complication is the cross bolting so that is going to need something cooking up. Basically Ive machined the holes at 130mm centres and a 27.5mm offset which i believe is the standard for the vx. I've machined the mg brackets off and now the bottom looks just like the Lotus kit. Dimension will need some fine tuning. I'm gonna run 308mm disks but you could run stock ones i bet if you too more off. The pistons move sooo freely its like a dream. 32mm too which is conveniently a perfect match for stock rears. 44.5^2 is 1980.25 ~(Stock 2 pots). 32^2 x 2 is 2048 ~ (MGFT CP760x) Thats only 3% different which isn't significant. I must say getting the pad pins out was a challenge...3 of them needed to be cut and then smashed out with a punch.

#39 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Start point.
Posted Image

Target:

Posted Image

Machined off bracket:-

Posted Image

Top side target:-

Posted Image

And so far (needs flats for capeatds to sit on)

Posted Image

Its sat on a spare hub carrieer there which has a std disk and bearing pack fitted. Thats 20mm on diam smaller than my disks whichis why there is overhang on the pads. Its held on with screwed bar there - and looks bang central about the disk. I had been worried that 27.5 may not turn out to be the offset!

#40 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Can I send you mine John, now you've had the practice. :P How much overlap is there between the pads and the standard disc? Got 295mm bells and rotors on mine and was never sure whether they'd be big enough for a four pot conversion. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users