357 replies to this topic

#81 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:00 PM

No problem. That's what we've got this forum for. cheers and cheers to Thorney for setting it up for us all. :)

#82 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:02 PM

Ditto :groupjump:

#83 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:07 PM

Phoned Delta-Motor this afternoon - they're still working on the motor management. They have looked for new suppliers for this and think they have sorted something satisfactory out. Told me first delivery expected tomorrow, but will be a "couple of weeks" yet till they've got it optimised. Told them a couple of UK folk are interested. They say they know that people are waiting and they're trying to move quickly, but it has to be right and it's pretty complex with these Euro4-compliant engines to cope with all the factors.

Also told me how they're developing a fully adjustable racing suspension with Oehlins

www.ohlins.

They also have a Brembo brake expert and are official suppliers. Guy I was talking to reckons the main difficulty with the braking performance with the VX is the lack of weight on the front. I don't know much about it, but aren't Fi cars limited to around 700kg... and they seem to stop pretty well! :blink:

Anyway, they seem a pretty straight and professional organisation. So far, so good... :)

#84 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:02 PM

I don't want this thread to die. It's the upgrade that appeals the most to me, so if I add this it'll come to the front again! Any news from anyone on this?

#85 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:07 PM

yeah come on Speedyk anymore news?? :D Ian

#86 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:13 PM

Intend to see how far they've got next week. Don't worry, I'm very keen to try this too and will post when there's any news. :)

#87 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

OK...

Spoke to Delta-Motor again to-day. They're still working on it and have revised it since I last spoke with them. More advanced electronics, twin injectors and additional cooling mean the price is up, but only by a few hundred francs. They have now applied to get it officially tested for homologation and are in the queue.

For obvoius marketing reasons, they want at least 200bhp, but for technical and authorisation reasons they don't want to go over 205bhp... officially ;) They had one on the rolling road yesterday showing 211bhp. I know how they vary, but even so... :D :D :D

They have a private customer car running the latest installation, but I said I wanted to wait until all details of the specification were finalised and approved and then test-drive that set-up.

Also asked about the adjustable suspension (Oehlin). Price is 3,200 Swiss francs and they reckon it's really good quality. Asked about wheels; they've sold several sets of the Gotti 17" fronts, 18" rears. He said not weighed them but could well be a fair bit heavier. BTW he'd not heard of any suspension failures as reported from the Jonathan Palmer track cars. Anyone got any details about that?

I'm off to Hockenheim on Saturday to watch the tuners vying for better lap times and the "Drift Challenge" where the aim is to hang the tail out all the way round the Sachs 180 degree corner. BMW 5 series do best. Delta-Motor are competing and invited me to come and chat again, so may get more details then. Tracking it Sunday & Monday. :ph34r: B) Will report back when I know more, but like I said several months back, I reckon it will be autiumn before it's all ready to sell or fit.

#88 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 03 June 2003 - 09:55 PM

M5's. TOPS! Ohlins is fantastic on bikes! Don't know about cars!

#89 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:01 PM

BTW, as the Swiss authorities are apparently taking the attitude that cars that meet Euro 4 emissions standards cannot be tuned without maintaining Euro 4... typical Swiss I'm afraid :rolleyes:... the supercharger will still be Euro 4 conform. Bet that news has inspired dancing in the streets. ;)

#90 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:07 PM

mmmm......... suspension should be good for that price. 'tis a tad expensive!! :o Supercharger though is still top of mod list, and I like those out-puts :D Keep us posted Speedy cheers Ian

#91 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:24 PM

what about the clutch? :unsure: it was knackered by your hoch stint, and now with +200hp....what delta thinks about it?

Edited by Ricky2772, 14 June 2003 - 03:24 PM.

#92 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:36 PM

what about the clutch?  :unsure:

A very good question, Ricky! :D

Don't worry, I will certainly be asking them. That's the reason too why I asked on another thread if anyone could tell me anything about clutches. I know beefed-up ones are available for the Elise and they recommend a solid clutch if you use slicks, but I don't know anything about it. :lol:

Any upgraded clutches out there for the VX?

#93 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 25 June 2003 - 05:00 PM

Back to the top it goes!....

#94 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 05:14 PM

:D :D :D somebody's getting impatient! I'll give them a call again tomorrow afternoon, but won't be able to test drive now till August at earliest anyway as I'm visiting Blightey for four weeks - but not in Speedster, I'm in my Dodge Durango; plenty of room for carbon sill covers, harness bar, etc., etc., etc. (subtle hint to get on with it, :poke: Thorney). :lol:

#95 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:10 PM

Latest Delta-Motor news:

Development completed. They sound really happy with the car. It's being homolgated now and should be approved in a couple of weeks.

In August, after the summer hols, I'll arrange a test drive - all being well. B)

The Oehlins suspension is in development in Sweden.

They are also going to offer Brembo cross-drilled and grooved front discs with pads, retaining the existing callipers.

Also asked about uprated clutch - they were not able to offer anything either (see racing clutch thread).

Well, as my rear tyres are on the legal limit for wear, I reckon I'll be getting some of the higher speed index rating ones the VXT uses to tide me over until some good approved rims that I like the look and weight of are available. Magnesium would be nice - I know they're £££ :o but if they hold up to riding the kerbs at Hockenheim, it might be worth considering.

Looking forward already to a test drive... I reckon this is going to be FUN :D :D :D

#96 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

:jump: Test-driving the supercharged Delta-Motor next Thursday! Chassis is officially approved for the nominal 200bhp (actually more, as in 205-210) so additional tweaks should allow more. :D Official testing of emissions (noise and exhaust gas) is in the pipeline – the authorities have a backlog to work through, so can't legally road-run it yet. But, if it delivers what it promises, then I will be planning my suspension, brake, rim & tyre upgrades to let rip with the supercharger next spring. :D :D :D :jump:

#97 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:42 PM

Cool ! Remember to getsome specs too, Speedy, like additional weight, cost of conversion etc. ! Thanks !

#98 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 11:39 AM

I hope everythings good on thursday as this is defo the way forward IMO. with two years left on warranty and purchasing my first home (£28,000 deposit :sick: ) My plan is to get the wheels tyres suspension and brakes during the warranty period, then supercharger. :jump: having done a few hundred miles in my dads cooper s which is the only super charged motor i've driven i can only see this mod being the bollox. Hey purebob might even get a few of them N/A desserters back :lol: speedy do you know if Delta are gonna have people in GB carrying out the work, i don't mind taking a holiday but im thinking more if anything needs fettling with afterwards. cheers Imnotworthy

#99 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 12:58 PM

speedy do you know if Delta are gonna have people in GB carrying out the work, i don't mind taking a holiday but im thinking more if anything needs fettling with afterwards.

Shouldn't think they've got a UK connection.

Having it fitted in Switz. would be the only way to go about it, though I suppose they could sell the parts for Uk fitting, but that would be very difficult for all sides unless you had a really competent mechanic who is well versed in this sort of stuff... and who would be prepared to give any warranty? Shouldn't think Delta-Motor would be happy if they don't know who's fitting it, and why should an independent fitter vouch for the quality of someone else's goods?

With regards to post-fitting maintenance, I really don't know what is involved, but I should imagine a competent tuning firm would not be overly challenged.

I can ask them about it on Thursday if I'm not overwhelmed after the testdrive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#100 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 17 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

Shouldn't think they've got a UK connection.

I can ask them about it on Thursday if I'm not overwhelmed after the testdrive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe they could set up something with AmD or someone similar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users