• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Wouldn't it be more sensible to permanently attach some charging leads to the main battery and leave them behind the nearside front arch liner, so that in the event of a dead battery and no access to the bonnet release, you could inject some power from outside. Would also be handy in the event of the bonnet release going pop.

I have created a secret pull lever outside the car to release the bonnet, in the case of a flat battery

#22 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Well yesterday was a little disappointing, dash was really simply to remove (no need to remove heater controls although TIS says to).

Got all the central locking wired up (not to alarm) and found that the control module is faulty :angry2:

First of all I thought it was me, so I tested and retest and oh retested the live feed and the ground, and the connectors to the motors but all fine. But when I operated the central locking nothing happened, you couldn't even hear the motors trying.

I have fitted a central locking cut off switch though (yes it was on!!) so when the central is working and linked to the alarm, if the central locking starts playing up I can switch it off and go back to manual locks.

Here are some photos with the dash off:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is so many leaves etc.. in my dash, there was no foam sealing the link from the air duct to the dash, needs a good clean out.

My alarm module wasn't on the right hand side as the TIS states, it was on the left, not that it matters. There are no wires on the alarm for operating the central locking, but looking at the wiring diagram Ouchie linked me to (Thanks chinky chinky ) It looks like all I need to do as connect the wires to connector 6 & 2 on the module, one for locking and the other for unlock

Posted Image

Fingers crossed I will have a new central locking module soon so I can finish this project off. Getting there slowly but surely.

#23 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Help From Turbo owner - can anyone confirm that these are the correct connectors that the pink/green and pick/white cables go into on the alarm module when you have central locking fitted to it. Many thanks

Posted Image

#24 meldert

meldert

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

I can't keep my mouth shut anymore... Good work and nice walktrough, but WHY? :blink: I can't for my life understand why someone would need central locking on a VX... It only has two doors, it's not like you have to open up four doors for the whole family to get into the car... You have one extra door apart from your own, how much extra effort is it to be an gentleman and open the door for your passenger the old fashioned way? It wont be a quick getaway anyway because most passengers will still have trouble climbing into the car... Sorry if this comes out a bit negative, I just want to understand why you feel it's worth all the hassle to do this mod.

#25 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

I can't keep my mouth shut anymore...

Good work and nice walktrough, but WHY? :blink:

I can't for my life understand why someone would need central locking on a VX... It only has two doors, it's not like you have to open up four doors for the whole family to get into the car... You have one extra door apart from your own, how much extra effort is it to be an gentleman and open the door for your passenger the old fashioned way? It wont be a quick getaway anyway because most passengers will still have trouble climbing into the car...

Sorry if this comes out a bit negative, I just want to understand why you feel it's worth all the hassle to do this mod.

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me it is just knowing when you set the alarm the car is locked and vice versa. Instead of unsetting the alarm, then unlocking the door then unlocking the other door, just one press of the button and hey presto. And you don't have the hassle of ensuring that both doors are locked when you leave the car (because if you don't lock the car and it gets nicked, no insurance pay out!!!).
You might call me lazy but so be it, what's wrong with wanting to walk up to my car and just press a button and get in the car, it is 2009 and I do that with my other cars so why not my VX???

Each to there own. Anyone what to start a poll?? Central Locking - Good Mod or Pointless MOD??

#26 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I can't for my life understand why someone would need central locking on a VX... It only has two doors, it's not like you have to open up four doors for the whole family to get into the car... You have one extra door apart from your own, how much extra effort is it to be an gentleman and open the door for your passenger the old fashioned way? It wont be a quick getaway anyway because most passengers will still have trouble climbing into the car...

Sorry if this comes out a bit negative, I just want to understand why you feel it's worth all the hassle to do this mod.

Don't do it then?.... :rolleyes:

#27 meldert

meldert

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Don't do it then?.... :rolleyes:

Don't worry I wont... Sorry for the rant I'm probably just old fashioned...

#28 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Each to there own. Anyone what to start a poll?? Central Locking - Good Mod or Pointless MOD??

Anything that doesn't make your car handel better, go faster or stop quicker isnt a mod it's just TAT*

*And I includes any non-aerodynamic carbon fibre in that.

Edited by Winstar, 27 August 2009 - 11:18 AM.

#29 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

All done!!!! Central locking now fitted to my NA and connected to the orginal alarm, so operated via the alarm fob!!! I think in totally it has taken me about 14 hours and £30. Will put up some more photos tomorrow.

#30 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Nice one thumbsup

#31 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

good stuff thumbsup

#32 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

I thought much the same when I had my NA. Why did Vauxhall bother offering central locking on the VXTs?

Now that I have it on the VXT I love it. And the weird thing is, I can't really identify why. It just makes life that much easier, no need to faff about with the key if it's chucking it down, or if you just want to jump out and walk to the ATM. No sudden discovery after a week that you forgot to lock the passenger door last time someone got in it. No having to get warm water to unfreeze the locks on cold mornings.

Strange as it is, I find it's one of those little things that makes the car so much more pleasant to live with.

#33 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

:yeahthat: Love the central locking. From a girly's point-of-view, also like to be able to lock the doors when in the car :)

#34 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

:yeahthat: Love the central locking. From a girly's point-of-view, also like to be able to lock the doors when in the car :)

Doesnt that arm the alarm as well? :unsure:

#35 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Doesnt that arm the alarm as well? :unsure:

There's buttons on the steering cowling to allow you to lock/unlock the doors from inside.

My slight concern with using them is that I don't trust that the VX's systems will communicate in the event of an impact to unlock the doors, and if they're locked they cannot be opened from inside the car (unlike doors without central locking, which can be opened from inside even when they're locked).

Edited by snoopstah, 31 August 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#36 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Yes that does cross my mind; when I first joined I remember asking if the doors would open automatically on impact as with the central locking systems on some other cars. As divvy/obscure as it sounds, I usually keep the doors locked in slow moving traffic, and keep them unlocked on fast roads. I've done that with all the cars I've had, so comes as second nature

#37 Morgan9122

Morgan9122

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Danny, Top mod, shame I've had the VX 3 years before you can along with this. When you do the 'How To' guide, can you include the details of how to disconnect the air bag. I'm sure it's been covered a zillion times but will save me search. Alternatively come round and I'll crack open the tinnies whilst you fit mine!!! Cheers and well done. Kevin

#38 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Yes that does cross my mind; when I first joined I remember asking if the doors would open automatically on impact as with the central locking systems on some other cars. As divvy/obscure as it sounds, I usually keep the doors locked in slow moving traffic, and keep them unlocked on fast roads. I've done that with all the cars I've had, so comes as second nature

Don't worry a little tap with my friendly mag lite gets me in to all cars at rtc's. ;)

#39 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

Danny,

Top mod, shame I've had the VX 3 years before you can along with this.

When you do the 'How To' guide, can you include the details of how to disconnect the air bag. I'm sure it's been covered a zillion times but will save me search.

Alternatively come round and I'll crack open the tinnies whilst you fit mine!!!

Cheers and well done.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Disconnecting the airbag is simple, there a two allen key bolts, one each side of the steering wheel, undo them and then the airbag pulls out of the steering wheel, then just pull the plug out from the back of it. Disconnect the car battery first though. Although for some reason my airbag light is constantly on now, just got to fix that.

Just about to add the other photos to this thread, then I will do a proper how to guide this week, just need a quiet spell at work to do it.

Dan

#40 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Although for some reason my airbag light is constantly on now, just got to fix that.

Sounds like you must of turned the ignition on with the airbag disconnected - If you have access to OP-COM (or a tech2), you can reset the airbag ecu and turn the light off... thumbsup

Edited by pjohn151, 01 September 2009 - 09:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users