• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Although for some reason my airbag light is constantly on now, just got to fix that.

Sounds like you must of turned the ignition on with the airbag disconnected - If you have access to OP-COM (or a tech2), you can reset the airbag ecu and turn the light off... thumbsup

Yes I did!!, I have a OP-COM but haven't managed to get it to read my ECU yet, I will give it another try, thanks chinky chinky

#42 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

Now more photos.

With the new CL module connector, I then modded the alarm module connect:

Posted Image

Just stuck a small screwdriver in to widen the hole, then cut a connect up and soldered on to the alarm input cables on the CL module:

Connector:

Posted Image

Connector cut:

Posted Image

Cut connector soldered to cable:

Posted Image

With the alarm module:

Connect the cables

Posted Image

6 = unlock
2 = lock

Then refitted the dash and door panels etc...

All working perfectly!!!!

#43 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Why did you need to remove the steering wheel anyway?

#44 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

You need to remove the instrument panel so you can remove the dash, and to do that you need to remove the steering column, and there ere two screws behind the steering wheel to remove the column.

#45 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

You need to remove the instrument panel so you can remove the dash, and to do that you need to remove the steering column, and there ere two screws behind the steering wheel to remove the column.

No, you don't, but it's a bit late now :)

But for next time, you only need to remove the radio and the two dash plates to get the dash off, takes about 15 minutes.

#46 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

No, you don't, but it's a bit late now :)

But for next time, you only need to remove the radio and the two dash plates to get the dash off, takes about 15 minutes.

I did try that before removing the instrument panel but the dash would not remove because of a lip the instrument rests on, on the dash. Wasn't till I removed the instrument panel the dash came out.

Oh well all done now

#47 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

:yeahthat: I had the same problem when I replaced my Alarm - the dash top just would not come off with the stack in place...

#48 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

Just needs a bit of welly to disconnect it and maybe a bit of a wiggle of the binnacle.

#49 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Doh! However, if I was removing your dash top you would not want to be watching. The look on your face would turn milk sour :lol:

Pull the binnacle towards you while pushing up on the dash top to release the flappy bit at the back of the binnacle from the metal "C" shaped groove on the dash top. Wait for a BANG.

#50 M3KDJ

M3KDJ

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Top guide - fitted mine at the weekend and saved a good few hours using your instructions. Best £14 I've spent! (what am I going to do with all that time saved not having to walk round to the passenger door!) BTW, I took the alarm unit apart and soldered the lock/unlock wires directly to the back of the connector block to save butchering the multiplug - small hole drilled in the side so the wires can exit. chinky chinky

#51 goodeg

goodeg

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Did you connect the unlock signal to the fuel cutoff inertia switch so that it will unlock in the event of an accident? Or do you not have the ability to lock the car from the inside?

#52 M3KDJ

M3KDJ

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

Without fitting an extra switch there isn't any way of locking from the inside.

#53 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

There's a reason virtually all cars have remote central locking - it is very convenient. Bummer, one more mod for me to contemplate. Thanks for sharing this with us all.....

#54 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

I had the car apart at the weekend but didn't bother finishing off the install. My only concern is being able to unlock the doors if the servos loose power from either a dead battery or broken wire. If I assume that a broken wire is very unlikely so can be ignored what is the general opinion about overcoming the dead battery problem. 1. bonnet release cable routed to the driver side wheel arch to allow access to the battery 2. backup battery like on the Turbo with a momentary switch to engage it 3. So what. Deal with it when it happens. meh. Regarding the backup battery, is it a rechargeable unit on the OEM install on Turbos?

#55 goodeg

goodeg

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Regarding the backup battery, is it a rechargeable unit on the OEM install on Turbos?

Looking at the schematics I would say it was a rechargeable battery.

I think a battery would be my prefered option as it would allow you to get in if you where out somewhere with no access to a charger. But then again if you have no access to a charger then what use is getting in so either an external release or some accessible wires connected to the battery so it can be charged easily.

#56 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

Edit: Very delayed double post :unsure: :blink:

Edited by Ouchie, 15 September 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#57 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

There's dust in your grooves monkey boy - the needle's sticking

#58 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

Regarding the backup battery, is it a rechargeable unit on the OEM install on Turbos?

I think a battery would be my prefered option as it would allow you to get in if you where out somewhere with no access to a charger. But then again if you have no access to a charger then what use is getting in so either an external release or some accessible wires connected to the battery so it can be charged easily.

I guess that is the right way to go.
Dead battery = stuck until jump started/replacement battery installed.
Would be nice to sit in the car if it is raining though. /worst case scenario/

There's dust in your grooves monkey boy - the needle's sticking

:lol:

#59 M3KDJ

M3KDJ

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

I guess that is the right way to go.
Dead battery = stuck until jump started/replacement battery installed.
Would be nice to sit in the car if it is raining though. /worst case scenario/

The easiest way to ensure you can get into the car with a flat battery/broken control motor/dodgy central locking relay is to connect two wires to the lock/unlock wires that go to the motors (usually green & blue wires) - not the lock/unlock command wires from the module.

Run these wires through to the bonnet area, up through the plastic scuttle panel by the wiper arm, and along where the wiper blade sits and fit a waterproof terminal. If you leave them tucked under the corner of the bonnet you'll be able to fish them out and apply 12V to them - the motor(s) will then directly unlock regardless of flat battery or faulty parts (unless both motors have packed up or you dont have access to 12V!).

The only surefire way of ensuring you can get in is to fit a mechanical device attached to the same point as the locking motor in the door that pulls the lock to the open position when pulled from outside....

chinky chinky

#60 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

The only surefire way of ensuring you can get in is to fit a mechanical device attached to the same point as the locking motor in the door that pulls the lock to the open position when pulled from outside....

Is that "mechanical device" to open the lock not called a key?? :closedeyes:
(Not sure on the inner workings of the VX lock, so maybe the key is useless when the CL is activated?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users