• 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

good luck with the refit. Don't forget the distilled water chinky chinky

#22 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Sounds like you'll have a busy weekend, it always amazes me that you have got all that extra stuff and you've still spent alot less than if you would of paid for just the fitting. Coe on everyone pick up your spanners and have a go haha

Very true as i was getting quotes of £600 for a alloy radiator and fitting, so iv save loads and i no im going to do a proper job and sort every thing out while the front clam is off.

#23 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

good luck with the refit. Don't forget the distilled water chinky chinky

lol no worrys.

#24 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

A quick update on my radiator change, haven't quite finished it yet.
I started by removing the front clam again, thankfully remembered how to take it off without the guide this time

Posted Image

Once it was off i removed the rad housing which was ok till i got to last bolt and i couldnt get my hand in to take it off so was messing for ages trying to undo it , so in the end i had to slide the old radiator out then hack saw the C-clip in half then stick a little screw driver on it then held the screw driver with a pair of long nose pliers then and managed to undo it from inside the rad housing, took some time but i got there in the end.

Here is a picture of my old radiator that was leaking.

Posted Image

Next i sanded, primed and painted the radiator housing with plastic paint, which has made it look so much better once dried.

Posted Image

#25 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

Then i removed the rust on the fan brackets and shined all the nuts and bolts up and painted the brackets black, once dried i pot riveted the fan on the new radiator and copper greased all the bolts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then cut some mesh to the size of the crash box vents and tiger sealed them on to stop the bugs getting into the cabin.

Posted Image

#26 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

Then I started putting the new radiator back in and i put new stainless steel bolts and washers in the radiator housing so it'll be easier in the future if i ever have to take it off again, when it was all fitted i also painted the towing eye again and a few other little hinges/bolts and the tow bracket and fitted the new pipes and gave everything a good clean up everywhere i could.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've also i de badged the rear and the wheel centre caps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm just waiting for my new header tank to complete the job and get the antifreeze in, I've also cleaned up the air filter.

Posted Image

#27 shilts

shilts

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cars, now working @ MOTORPOINT so if anyone wants to buy a cheap car.......

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Good job! Love the rad housing paint idea makes it look much smarter! At least now you get both job satisfaction, more readies in your pocket, and a better result at the end of it. What's next on the list... De-mist rear passenger side light unit? :poke:

#28 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Good job! Love the rad housing paint idea makes it look much smarter!
At least now you get both job satisfaction, more readies in your pocket, and a better result at the end of it.

What's next on the list... De-mist rear passenger side light unit? :poke:

cheers mate and iv saved loads on fitting it myself. iv started doing the lights too, just waiting on the clamps coming then i can fix them all.

next i want to start sorting the wheels and get them sprayed black also a exhaust and then sorting the interior out but not sure which come first as il do jobs on it bit by bit.

Edited by haggi961, 28 October 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#29 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

Right ive done a few more things, ive fitted my new anti rattle door pins and it has made a massive difference as it is a lot quieter now, would recommend them to anyone to get these and it also sounds nicer when shutting the door too.

Posted Image

And i have also got some new Blaupunkt 50watt speakers £28.50 off ebay and fitted them. This has made a huge difference to the sound, just need a new cd player, sub and amp to make it complete.

Posted Image

Whilst i was inside the car i put some isotta seat belt covers on £22 from halfords

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the radiator is fitted, bled and running a treat, i've put a brand new header tank £26 from ebay in and a new header cap £5 from my garage. Then fitted the chrome covers to my engine and put the carbon fibre jobby for the header tank off ebay for £13. Then gave the engine a good polish up with auto sol and cleaned all pipes and fitted the viper induction kit again.

Engine before i started.

Posted Image

And after all my work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

Few more things i've bought and jobs i've done to the vx, one being i have fixed the back light that was letting the water in. What i did was break the old seal around the light.

Posted Image

Then I gave it all a good clean up and stuck it back down with a double side sticky tape

Posted Image

Then sealed around the light with tiger seal so if I ever need to take apart it should be an easy job for next time, also I have sealed the light cluster to stop water getting in there as i've seen it happen on madrianvx's project. Yeah it looks a mess but you cant see it when fitted. Once it had all dried I fitted them and got a hose to test it and it works a treat, no more problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also bought a vw relay wiper off ebay for £5, i'll probably never use the windscreen wiper as the car never comes out in the rain, but i had to have one anyway.

Posted Image

The Velcro that sticks the carpet in my boot was getting old and wasn't sticking the carpet down, so i bought some new Velcro. It cost £1.29 for 1 metre off ebay.

Posted Image

I also purchased some cleaning products and waterproofer for the roof as I don't think it has been done for a while, these were also from ebay and cost £17.64 for the both of them.

Posted Image

#31 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

You have been busy, it's looking great what other mods you got planned chinky chinky

#32 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

You have been busy, it's looking great what other mods you got planned chinky chinky

Cheers , ive just got my exhaust and remap done just waiting for a good day to take pictures and videos to post up. Next I will get the wheels done black and i've got some door sill plates to fix on and I also need to buy a cupra r splitter for the front, engine mounts, timing chain, carbon fibre interior the list goes on ...

#33 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

SC next ?? :groupjump:

#34 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

SC next ?? :groupjump:

I have been looking at the idea tbh, but i do quite fancy TB as well.

#35 southpaw

southpaw

sans vx for now

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

blimey you've been busy! Looking good thumbsup

#36 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:39 PM

Made me go out and buy tigerseal and velcro now :P

#37 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

blimey you've been busy! Looking good thumbsup

thanks.

Made me go out and buy tigerseal and velcro now :P

lol you having water problems with your lights to.

#38 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

Not so much water, more the fact that they've got tons of dirt inside them! And they do mist up occasionally though.

#39 adH

adH

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Haggi - how easy was it to split the light clusters? Is it just a case of slitting the existing sealant and prising the lens off? I want to sort the front and rear lights at the weekend if it's not raining again! Cheers Adam

#40 saxman

saxman

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:guitar,sax,didgeridoo,plus many more instruments and just enjoy jammin with friends.badminton,swimmin and life in general

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

good work haggi,all ive done is lift the car cover up in the last few weeks to see if its still there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users