Haggi's New Project

• Please log in to reply
750 replies to this topic

#41 Dangerous

Dangerous

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

Good work indeed, I am jealous! Be careful with eBay, lots of parts are selling over retail price. I paid £17.00 for my header tank new from The Vaux Centre. I've got lots of ideas now for winter projects chinky chinky lol

#42 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

Haggi - how easy was it to split the light clusters? Is it just a case of slitting the existing sealant and prising the lens off?

I want to sort the front and rear lights at the weekend if it's not raining again!

Cheers
Adam

Hey they are a bastard of a job to do and i end up stabbing myself 6 times getting the lens of. The best way i found was to get a hair dryer and warm the old stuff up, then get a Stanley knife and carefully go round it until it comes apart. What you dont want to do is stick the blade in to far as there is a lip on the inside of the lens and it will crack if blade go in to far. Then i gave a good clean and got some sticky tape stuff and around the light just enough to make the light lens stick as it wont be water tight with just that. Once stuck on i got the tiger seal on the back of the hole light and i wet my finger, then just dab it around the light until it fills all the cracks as other wise the tiger seal sticks to your finger so this way make it easy if i ever have to take a apart again as it will just peel off the tiger seal then just the sticky tape on the inside.

good work haggi,all ive done is lift the car cover up in the last few weeks to see if its still there

lol

Good work indeed, I am jealous!

Be careful with eBay, lots of parts are selling over retail price. I paid £17.00 for my header tank new from The Vaux Centre.

I've got lots of ideas now for winter projects chinky chinky lol

Thanks for the info, the only reason it was more money as it was the time the stupid postal strike was on and i didnt want it sent that way, so it was a courier instead and that cost £10 just for that so it wasn't to bad i dont think.

#43 adH

adH

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hey they are a bastard of a job to do and i end up stabbing myself 6 times getting the lens of. The best way i found was to get a hair dryer and warm the old stuff up, then get a Stanley knife and carefully go round it until it comes apart. What you dont want to do is stick the blade in to far as there is a lip on the inside of the lens and it will crack if blade go in to far. Then i gave a good clean and got some sticky tape stuff and around the light just enough to make the light lens stick as it wont be water tight with just that. Once stuck on i got the tiger seal on the back of the hole light and i wet my finger, then just dab it around the light until it fills all the cracks as other wise the tiger seal sticks to your finger so this way make it easy if i ever have to take a apart again as it will just peel off the tiger seal then just the sticky tape on the inside.

Cheers for the advice Haggi - sounds like a fun old job, but worth it in the end!

#44 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

what dose the extra bit of metal do ?
Posted Image
faster
more bhp
or is just bling ?

#45 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:49 AM

Posted Image

shiny bits can you get me some Imnotworthy

#46 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

faster
more bhp
or is just bling ?

Just bling to spruce the engine bay up and another 38 bhp lol

#47 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

Cheers for the advice Haggi - sounds like a fun old job, but worth it in the end!

The easiest way if your doing it over a long weekend or more is to remove the lights then smear vaseline all the way around the light all over the rubber sealant at the joins.

Then stick it all in the airing cupboard and forget about it.

Following weekend take it out, and the vaseline, will have eaten away at the rubber meaning there is no stick any more.

Clean up with white spirit and re stick, no knives are needed.

I discovered this by attempting a quick repair on a rainy weekend the lights where left on the car for a while with the vaseline as waterproofing, sort of worked, but I would not advise this for the risk of losing the perspex covers.

#48 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

Right i've managed to get a half decent day with some light to get some pictures and video's of the car to show you all what it sounds like with my custom built powerflow exhaust which I think sounds amazing and has saved a lot of weight in comparison to the original. I also had a remap done and had it put on the dyno today to see what bhp it's running at now. I'm impressed with the gain which is about 13bhp.

This is the tip design that I chose

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a video of it revving up to 4000 rpm at normal engine running temperature

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/Wy-2m223za8

And here is the dyno graph, the best run got 157.9 bhp and 162.2 lbft of torque.

Posted Image

#49 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Just purchased a new plastic aerial off ebay for £5.25 as the last one was crap and the paint rubbed off with it being metal.

Posted Image

#50 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

Fair play to you Haggi, you are treating the car with the TLC it deserves and keeping a pretty good diary of it on here. Plus you have worked out how to have loads of photos on here, I can only manage two or three before I have to delete them; what's the secret?

#51 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

Fair play to you Haggi, you are treating the car with the TLC it deserves and keeping a pretty good diary of it on here.

Plus you have worked out how to have loads of photos on here, I can only manage two or three before I have to delete them; what's the secret?

Thanks and just trying to make every nut and bolt perfect as I go along, I keep every reciept too so that whoever owns it next knows exactly what i've done to it. Trying to restore it to perfect condition. For the pictures I use photo bucket to put them on, the upload thing on here never seems to work for me.

#52 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

I also had a remap done and had it put on the dyno today to see what bhp it's running at now. I'm impressed with the gain which is about 13bhp.

what was it reading before the remap?

#53 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

I also had a remap done and had it put on the dyno today to see what bhp it's running at now. I'm impressed with the gain which is about 13bhp.

what was it reading before the remap?

It didnt mate, i was just going by what the standard vx is at 145bhp and it shouldn't have lost much power as its only done 26k miles and has full service history.

#54 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

Right iv got a few more things to up date. First thing first is that i bought two new clutch springs and towing eye cap from autovaux £8.06 and fitted them both today.I also purchased some touch up paint from Vauxhall £5.08 which i think is a bargain when you also get the lacquer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then put my vx220 chrome sill plates on that iv had for a while just never got round to fitting. They look the dogs bollocks i think when fitted.

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

I then gave the vx a good polish and wax.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks loads better when finished.

Also i have a photo of the new aerial fitted now.

Posted Image

And i gave the roof a good clean with the turtle wax soft top cleaner and finished it off with the meguiars waterproofer to stop the rain getting it. Looks like new once it was all done.

Posted Image

#56 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

Looking very sweet, you certainly love your car and it looks like it will be well cared for in your hands.

#57 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Looking very sweet, you certainly love your car and it looks like it will be well cared for in your hands.

Cheers mate.

#58 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

Haven't had much time lately to do much on my car because of the weather, until today. So I've cleaned the engine bay and under the front clam and fitted the carbon fibre caps that I bought off Ebay for £41.35.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I replaced the wing mirror as mine fell off due to the frost, so I bought one off Ebay for £41 and fortunately it was sliver which was an extra bonus. When I received it, it had a few stone chips on it so I touched them up with the touch up paint and you can't really notice it much after it had dried.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have now fitted my new black Richbrook twist off tax disk holder off ebay for £7, but i haven't taken a picture of it fitted just yet.

Posted Image

#59 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Progress looks good mate, loving the finer details and the engine bays lovely :)

#60 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

Good effort on the front bay looks very shiney. And the new radiator still looks good. Mines been used as a tool shelf previously i thinks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users