29 replies to this topic

#21 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thread resurrection. Just interested to hear people's opinions of A048's for road use over the 888's, much difference or would it be mainly on track you notice the true qualities? (if I believe from other's reviews the 48's take longer to get up to temperature compared to the Toyo's)....

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'd say almost zero difference between them on a dry road. R888 fractionally better in lots of water. Personally, I wouldn't be wasting the money on either of them if they're just being used on the road. R1R's (which I think are brilliant and may be making the trip to the Le Mans trackdays, if the weather looks vaguely suspect) or AD08's would give you 90%+ of the grip, better wet weather performance and a feck load more mileage due to the proper tread depth.

#23 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'd say almost zero difference between them on a dry road. R888 fractionally better in lots of water.

Personally, I wouldn't be wasting the money on either of them if they're just being used on the road. R1R's (which I think are brilliant and may be making the trip to the Le Mans trackdays, if the weather looks vaguely suspect) or AD08's would give you 90%+ of the grip, better wet weather performance and a feck load more mileage due to the proper tread depth.

Cheers Matt,
Do you notice much difference with the front's being 205's? It only affects full lock in terms of rubbing...?

#24 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

i agree with techie on the r1r. i did a car limits day with r1r and they were great, nice feedback from them and the grip was pretty good (well, better than my skills anyway!). they do seem to take a little warming up, my car seems to spin up a bit for the first few minutes of driving but that may be down to me or the road surface around where i live. most likely i will be taking these to le mans, unless the weather forcast is perfect for the time there and the time back.

#25 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Cheers Matt,
Do you notice much difference with the front's being 205's? It only affects full lock in terms of rubbing...?

No rubbing whatsoever on lock in either direction. I was a bit worried that it would feel noticeably heavier to steer with the 205's up front, especially with the quick rack fitted, but it feels no heavier and it might actually feel a little lighter. If you want to have a try of them, you're welcome to swing by and we can stick the wheels and tyres on your car, as my car is currently wearing the R888 shod wheels after Donington.

#26 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Cheers Matt, I'm back in July and may take you up on that chinky chinky

#27 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

OK, so did Le Mans last year on 888, will do Le Mans again this year on AO48, anyone care enough for me to do a comparison?

What I really need is a set of AO40 and a set of 888 at the same circuit, same time to do it properly.

I have found that I overheat the 888 on circuit especially the rears and they get really slippery.

Have you got your A048s sorted already Cliffie ?
Having contacted a number of suppliers today regarding a price/stock for a set I got the response :

"no more 225/45/17 for rest of year, Yokohama are holding all stocks back for the lotus championships." :(

Sorry missed that. I did get my A048 sorted and I am lucky as I know a man at Yoko UK who got a set out for me.

#28 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

I've got a set of new 225/45/17s AO48s LTS in the garage. Must be worth something. And a full set of used Ms :unsure:

#29 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

I may try the AO48s....but may have to wait for some lightly used ones due to super duper poorness :closedeyes:

#30 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

I love the complexity of those tests :lol: Clearly incredibly scietific results!! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users